Close call

Mat

Mat

Soldato
How much can an airliners computer handle things like that... is it capable of landing the plane in those kinds of conditions or is it a manual thing only, regardless?

Transmission breaker
Don
How much can an airliners computer handle things like that... is it capable of landing the plane in those kinds of conditions or is it a manual thing only, regardless?

What do you mean?? No aircraft (that i am aware of) can land itself. I beleive some tests were done, but they resulted in a very bent aircraft overshooting by a rather larger amount :p

Its a manual process.

Soldato
Airline Jets can land themselves.

Most of the time it's used in poor visibility when it poses a danger if the crew can't see the runway from a reasonable distance. You wouldn't want a computer trying to calculate millions of calculations each second on the aircraft when the nature of the wind would simply undermine the whole process. :o

Small light aircraft like Cessna's can't autoland.

Man of Honour
What do you mean?? No aircraft (that i am aware of) can land itself. I beleive some tests were done, but they resulted in a very bent aircraft overshooting by a rather larger amount :p

Its a manual process.

Most new airliners today equipped with CAT IIIB/C ILS equipment can land at an airfield with an apropriately rated ILS using autoland. A full autoland can be performed by a CAT IIIB equiped aircraft where the aircraft touches down itself. A CAT IIIC equipped aircraft can land, slow the aircraft down and taxi off the runway without pilot intervention. I have flown them in the BA 777 simulator and it's bloody scary. The decision height for the CAT IIIB is 50ft which is pretty much a few seconds before you touch down:eek:

As for the Lufty pilot, that was a stunning recovery. Had he not went around that would have almost certainly ended in disaster.

Bar

Bar

Soldato
OP
Would it be possible to go closer than that without a disaster?

When the wing tip ducks down it seems very very close to the ground - so much so that bugs wants a refund on his haircut.

Associate
I bet that resulted in some massive skid marks. :p

Misc-I_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

Transmission breaker
Don
Most new airliners today equipped with CAT IIIB/C ILS equipment can land at an airfield with an apropriately rated ILS using autoland. A full autoland can be performed by a CAT IIIB equiped aircraft where the aircraft touches down itself. A CAT IIIC equipped aircraft can land, slow the aircraft down and taxi off the runway without pilot intervention. I have flown them in the BA 777 simulator and it's bloody scary. The decision height for the CAT IIIB is 50ft which is pretty much a few seconds before you touch down:eek:

I stand corrected :) Cool stuff :D

Back
Top Bottom