Dell 2405fpw INFO - No Power - Inverter

Associate
I don't post on OcUK any more, but this information will be invaluable to someone in the future so i wanted to get the info out onto the web so it is searchable.

I have spent two days on the phone to LCD repair companies, Dell and BenQ to resolve a problem with my 2405.

I started my PC a few days ago and the monitor indicated no power, after checking the graphics card, it became apparent that the monitor was dead. Now it cost me £600 two years ago, and the Dell warranty was only 1 year (some of you maybe lucky enough to have a 3 year warranty).

The problem turned out to be an internal fuse on the power inverter board. You can get the monitor apart by undoing the four screws on the back where the stand clips in, and then remove the FRONT bezel, the panel will then lift out.

The fuse was replaced but blew again instantly taking some of the board track and a few components with it. The circuit board is marked 48.L1E02.A02 - NO ONE recognises this part number, even the makers - BenQ, and Dell could not care less

I have found the replacement part in the US for $60 + postage, however the part number is listed as BENQ 48.LIE02.002 , they also have the back light inverter listed. http://www.lcdrepair.us/2405fp-power.html

The very helpful lady at BenQ said she has had a number of calls regarding this part over the past few weeks and has been unable to help, i have also informed her where the board can be sourced as i would hate for anyone else to have to bin their beloved monitor for the sake of a £30 part.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apologies for reanimating a year-old thread!

I'm just posting because I've just had the exact same thing happen to my 2405, and thanks to Event Horizon's advice, it's now working perfectly again!

I was ultra-lucky in that a friend of mine had a differently-borked 2405 he was keeping for spares, so I didn't need to order a new power supply board from the above website. It's definitely the right part, though. They even sell the logic boards, should the venerable ol' 2405 ever break in a different way.

If anyone else comes across this thread researching the same problem, but is nervous about making the replacement - don't be! It's not that hard, as long as you're competent with a screwdriver [and a hex bolt tool to unscrew VGA/DVI retaining screws], and are careful, patient and methodical in your approach.

It does take a bit of time, though, as you have to remove every board.

Two disassembly guides I found invaluable:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t787213-remove_back_cover_dell_2407_wfp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZE_R8CPtM0 [video!]

Read/watch those several times and you can't go wrong. The only bit to be careful of is the alarmingly thin ribbon cable that goes from the controls to a tiny flip-clamp connector on the left hand side of the centre logic board. Remember to reconnect it when putting it all back together!

You probably won't see it, EH, but thank you very much indeed - you saved me having to fork out over £400 for a new monitor! :)

Associate
Aargh, just had this happen to my 2405fpw this afternoon!! Thanks to this thread I have ordered the part from the people linked in the original post. Hopefully that should fix it.

Currently using a E176FP, it's a hell of a come down.

Associate
HI
I have one of those and would be happy to follow your guide but if that's possible could anyone share their experience. my monitor turns on. the power button turns green and the screen gets brighter ( still black but can see that inverter works ) for few seconds an than goes black ( no self test menu, nothing, black ) . when connected to my laptop it is not recognized by windows at all ( VGA, DVI ) and the monitor itself don't switch to either 1 or 2 ( witch could indicate that it doesn't recognize input signal ). i can switch between modes 3,4,5 ( s-video, RGB, component) using selection button, when i switch screen highlights for seconds and goes black but still no signal on any of these channels. Also when i connect it to USB on my laptop card reader and USB hub is recognized what can indicate that low voltage is ok. Can you guys say if your symptoms were similar or different. I just don't want to splash 40 pounds to find out that power supply was ok.

thanks
zmudzki1979

Last edited:
Associate
HI
I have one of those and would be happy to follow your guide but if that's possible could anyone share their experience. my monitor turns on. the power button turns green and the screen gets brighter ( still black but can see that inverter works ) for few seconds an than goes black ( no self test menu, nothing, black ) . when connected to my laptop it is not recognized by windows at all ( VGA, DVI ) and the monitor itself don't switch to either 1 or 2 ( witch could indicate that it doesn't recognize input signal ). i can switch between modes 3,4,5 ( s-video, RGB, component) using selection button, when i switch screen highlights for seconds and goes black but still no signal on any of these channels. Also when i connect it to USB on my laptop card reader and USB hub is recognized what can indicate that low voltage is ok. Can you guys say if your symptoms were similar or different. I just don't want to splash 40 pounds to find out that power supply was ok.

thanks
zmudzki1979

Different, no power light on mine hence knowing that it was the power board.

Associate
in this case what could it be ? since the screen highlights for seconds only could it be inverter ? or maybe motherboard. I have contacted this US company and described my symptoms and they say it is most likely to be power supply ? :( anyone knows if there is any UK based company that would stock these parts. would be faster and cheaper.

Associate
I couldn't find anywhere else that would supply the parts. As for your symptoms I'm afraid I don't know. If they say it's the power supply why not trust them? Your other option is to buy a new monitor.

Associate
True. I contacted them again and asked for more advice and they told me to check if fuses F701 ad F702 are not blown. Unfortunately they aren't :( but as i looked closer i have found one cold joint on capacitor 470uF 35V. Redone it and my symptoms have changed. Now the inverter works all the time doesn't go off after few seconds. and i can switch to VGA, DVI what was no go before ( I cant switch to others now 3,4,5 ) and monitor gets recognized by my laptop. I slowly start to believe that i might be close to fix it myself :)

Associate
BANG! ****!

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Sorry about the thread necromancy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZE_R8CPtM0 is the place, as above to learn how to take it apart. Bit of force doesn't hurt splitting the case. Be Brave!

Thanks to all on here I am gonna order a new board, the small pink wotsit with the gold, silver, thick red and thin red stripes looks blown.

Associate
@zmudzki1979 Did you ever get your problem solved?

I'm having similar issues. I have power and back-light but the image went out with a *click* noise. Internal controls work but do not display and it doesn't go into standby if hooked up to something that is giving input (even though it's not showing). I'm working with the above company as well (how I found this thread) and they also told me to check the fuses.

Associate
Well, after waiting a week for a reply, it seems they can't be bothered. Going to order one anyways cos .. well, they're the cheapest aren't they? And I guess everyone here knows what they're on about.
If there was other places to buy from though, I'd go there.. cos customer service is bad bad bad

Soldato
Hmm, I have this exact same monitor, does anyone else find that is makes a buzzy sound when the brightness is below 60? I'm hoping my inverter is ok...

Also, the buzzyness seems to settle down a little once it's warmed up, but it's still annoying!

Soldato
mine buzzes for a while done it since release day. a lot of the 2405fpws had the issues, there afew diff fixes for em the most simplest of which was stick blutack in varios places. i was very tempted to try but never had the guts to ripp open the monitor at the time.

still happy with mine after all these years possibly the one pc related purchased ive used a lot every day. will prolly still put it to use once i upgrade to 30" screen later this year tho

Back
Top Bottom