smart error

Soldato
just got a samsung F1 500gb drive (HD502IJ) and i just put it in on one of the sata ports which was set to normal ata operation.

the last day or so i have been getting hard drive errors on the drive, vista says failure is imminent on every boot.

Windows Disk Diagnostic detected a S.M.A.R.T. fault on disk SAMSUNG HD502IJ ATA Device (volumes J:\). This disk might fail; back up your computer now. All data on the hard disk, including files, documents, pictures, programs, and settings might be lost if your hard disk fails. To determine if the hard disk needs to be repaired or replaced, contact the manufacturer of your computer. If you can't back up (for example, you have no CDs or other backup media), you should shut down your computer and restart when you have backup media available. In the meantime, do not save any critical files to this disk.

i also ran samsungs utility estool and that reports a s.m.a.r.t error

service code AJ26 s.m.a.r.t error

since then i remembered these are 3gbs and not 1.5gbs like my other drives so i took it off the intel controller and installed the drivers for the gigabye controller and set it to ahci mode, since then i dont get vista moaning when it boots warning the drive is going to fail and i get no errors at all in event viewer like i was when it was on the intel controller that was in pata mode.

everest is still reporting the same smart error though so is it still a duff drive?

Back
Top Bottom