Watercooling a ATC-201

Man of Honour
This is an old school case from the days of thick aluminium, small fans and emptying your wallet to afford the bleedin thing when it came out.

So to begin I had an old 1fan Radiator waterchill watercooling kit that some may recognise :) It had been sitting around for ages not being used cos I was too chicken/lazy to play with watercooling.

So I stripped down the 201
4.jpg

And started taping it up ready for cutting:
3.jpg

I had planned to put the rad in the roof because, well there isn't anywhere else to put it on these things without really hacking into them, remember these are the 80mm fan years.

Anyway after removing the fan and mesh from the blowhole in the top I found I had to cut these little lugs off that it had all been screwed into, so I said fairwell to a few dremel disks and got to work.

1.jpg

Here she is upside down with a couple of those pesky lugs cut off.
2.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
So next outline the grill on the masking tape and drill a couple of pilot holes to get started:
(Note check the thickness of the Aluminium :eek:
5.jpg

Holes have to be big enough for the hacksaw :)
6.jpg

A few holes later and we are ready to cut!
7.jpg

Just after cutting and removing the masking tape (remembed to do the holes for the screws):
8.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Luckily my wife is a jewler so she has lots of nice files to get rid of those nasty edges
9.jpg

Like these (ouch) :eek:
10.jpg

Finished filing, test fitting rad, fan and grill
13.jpg

Another view of the positon of the radiator:
14.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Now we get into the plumbing bits :)

I do like these XSPC blocks they are mighty fine :)
15.jpg

Gigabyte P35-DS3R fitted to removable tray with block bolts fitted.
16.jpg

Leak testing, check out the old-skool waterchill pump!!
17.jpg

Here is when I lost the plot a bit and decided the 120x1 size radiator just wasn't going to cut the mustard.

Plus when testing the supplied 120mm fan it was a wee bit noisy.

So got me a 240mm Swiftech radiator and Xilence fans!! yeehar!
19.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Obviously the hole needed a little bit of extra expansion :)
18.jpg

Bit of a cable tidy, tuck the pump and res away a bit and we are done!
20.jpg

Mmmm.. red and black... :D
21.jpg

All done ready for action.
23.jpg

As someone said in an earlier thread these classic CM cases are gorgeous IMHO.
Things still to do:
Quieter 80mm fans
New fan controller
Maybe a chipset cooler if the rad can take it, or get a beefier 240mm rad.

Hope you enjoyed the thread.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Love it Biffa :D

Cant wait for my ATC110 to arrive. One quick question where did you get the top fan gaurd plates from, email in trust if need be.

Hmm good question, I'll try and find the receipt. Its not from where I thought it would be from.

Associate
Case looks awful and I think you did a bad job. Buy a new case and start again. Send that one to me and i'll dispose of it in the correct fashion. PM me for details, but bare in mind i'm not going to go out of my way to chase this up.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
That's a beaut!

Only thing I'd do if it was mine was probably sleave all the cables and wires.

Must say I do like the look of that case a lot :D

Yeah my next watercooling job I did I sleeved everything. I'll revisit this one at some stage but its more of a workhorse than a showpony so no window :)

Man of Honour
OP
Case looks awful and I think you did a bad job. Buy a new case and start again. Send that one to me and i'll dispose of it in the correct fashion. PM me for details, but bare in mind i'm not going to go out of my way to chase this up.

Sure, will you dispose of it humanely? *sob*

Oh and sorry.

Man of Honour
OP
What way do the fans run?

Air into the rad and case, or extracting air out of the case?

Extracting air out. air in the case isn't that hot because there isn't a high end gfx card and there are two case fans going in-out front-back.

Temp wise it sits around 58-60 with all 4 cores at 100% running a Q6600 G0 at 3.4Ghz

But this is what it looks like when the pump stopped working (loose connection) :eek:

hothothot.gif

To the left is the peak temp with no pump, then the pump starts working after I got the connection fixed and it drops down to idle temps, then you can see the load temps when BOINC kicks in.

Last edited:
Don
now you need to get a pioneer dvdrw with an X09-XLS faceplate and it's complete :)

i want to do similar to my CM110, but can't bring myself to cut a hole in the top!

Man of Honour
now you need to get a pioneer dvdrw with an X09-XLS faceplate and it's complete :)

i want to do similar to my CM110, but can't bring myself to cut a hole in the top!

Had the same emotional issues with my CM111 (poor mans 110) and S5000. In the end I hung a 120.2 rad off the back of the 111 and managed to mount a 120.3 internally into the S4000 without drilling a single hole.

Cutting up old skool ATC cases should be against the law

Oh and what's a X09-XLS faceplate? My l33t Google skilz have deserted me :(

To the OP - looks lovely though, nice job :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom