Will I notice a difference? HDD vs SSD

Associate
I plan to pick up a SSD in the near future, I have a budget of £100. This one seems to take my fancy:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-000-CR

But will I notice a big difference over my 640GB SpinPoint F1 ? I have read some reviews and they seem to have similar read/write times...

Or would it be worth waiting a bit longer for this much faster drive to come into stock?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-013-OC&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=910

That has read times of 200mb/s !

Last edited:
^^ What he said.

I have 2 x Samsung 32GB SLC SSDs in a RAID 0 for my Windows 7 x64 OS, and 1 x Samsung 1TB F1 for my Vista x64 one. Booting times are very similar (as the data is all together for the HDD to read), but once you get to the desktop and loading up the tray icons etc the SSD solution is virtually instant.

Is it worth it at the moment with technology moving so fast with SSD? Probably not, but since when did that stop us? ;)

P

Don't get that Crucial one - it's slow as carp and really doesn't deserve to be called an SSD.

Just literally installed my first SSD today - the 64GB Samsung MLC drive. Was using a 300GB VelociRaptor as my boot/data drive before, so I was already using a fast disk.

Main benefits I've noticed so far is that things open quicker - there isn't the period of disk thrashing that you usually get. Also, it's completely silent, which is nice!

Last edited:
do SSD's suffer from a max read/write still, or has that been sorted. if not that's where HDD's still have huge advantage, but for speed and raw performance then it's SSD all the way

do SSD's suffer from a max read/write still, or has that been sorted. if not that's where HDD's still have huge advantage, but for speed and raw performance then it's SSD all the way

Are you talking about the 80Mb bandwith cap on Intel controllers? If so, that limit is supposed to be removed if running in RAID/AHCI mode with Intel Matrix Storage drivers installed.

Steer clear from crucial!

Motor disks are dead if you ask me. With the new platforms from AMD and Intel the motor disks are a true bottle neck. I was working with an i7 system and basically every moment the system felt laggy the RAID raptors where crunching. If it is on the RAM no problem, but when you need the disks motors let you down nowadays.

Unless you spend £££ on enterprise grade HDD, SSD only does the job for home with the latest platforms and speeds.

This is my own experience though, just wanted to share.

Last edited:
nope on about the maximum amount of times data can be written to a cell before it it loses the ability to hold data

This is the theory, but is there a "tool" or some thought that went into design from the manufacturers so that people will be able to buy a new SSD and off they go again?

ofcourse 2 years+ is OK for me since it is "new" technology, but since you can read the cells then is a matter of replacing the SSD when/if the time comes.

with the wear levelling techniques even a MLC should be good for at least a few years if you're sensible with the drive and do the various tweaks.

10,000 full write cycles across the whole drive is quite a lot when you use the drive primarily for reading purposes.

Back
Top Bottom