• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Hardware (XFX xxx 4850) Lockup during stress tests + Crysis

Associate
Picked up an ATI 4850 for my PC but it seems to be going a tad wrong.

System consists of:
Overclocked Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.6Ghz 6MB Cache 1333FSB CPU
Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 DDR2 Crossfire Motherboard
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 Dual Channel DDR2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5 XMS-2-6400 TwinX
Antec Sonata III Quiet Super Mini Tower - 500W PSU
EarthWatts 500 Watt power supply (80 PLUS® certified)

Vista is pretty much up to date and I'm using the latest drivers from ATI. (Cat 9.3 and I've also tried some older ones) but I'm having problems with Crysis and some other Video stress tests like Future Mark and the Source Engine one. They play for a minute or so before the system hard crashes and requires a reset. Of the few crashes I’ve seen most are lockups (stuttering sound requiring a power off reset) and others giving a screen full of vertical green lines requiring a power off reset)

It seems all other games run fine for extended periods at high settings. (Left 4 Dead at absolute max settings, 1650x1080 for an hour with no problems) Empire total war on Ultra. Unreal Tournament 3, Far Cry, you name it its all good apart from the aforementioned stress tests.

I've tried a number of the most common things including unplugging all the most essential components. (USB devices and the DVDDRW) but I'm now at my wits end as I cant see a good reason why this shoudlnt work. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I would remove the competitor link from the first link before a mod/don see's in your post and just write your specs.

Noticed your cpu is overclocked, try running at stock or alternate run Prime 95 or Orthos to check your overall stability of your machine.

Can the card be tested in another machine.

Magicpanda, you have exactly the same problem as myself and another guy called jammy2232. See this thread http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=13870546#post13870546 along with my reply in the thread with links to my threads about the same problem.

Additional: - i've just re-read your thread - have you added an XFX 4850 XXX to an existing machine that already worked? If you did that would point towards a gfx problem rather than memory - even though your system memory is the same. (If you did did you buy your card from OC's in the past 2 weeks as it may be from a similar batch?)

The common components in all 3 builds is the memory and the Gfx card - but if you read my reply in jammy2232 i can get Furmark to run if i re-install it and just run benchmarks - if i press esc during a stress test then i have to re-install it to get it to work without crashing again - please read my post and see if you can replicate the same problem.

If you can it means our problems are identical. Are you able to borrow some other system memory as i can't - i don't know about Jammy as he's not replied to my post yet but that would be a really quick and easy test. Other than that placing in another card - but again i haven't got one i can borrow. Did your system run fine with another gfx card installed?

Try clearing the cmos and re-intslling furmark and see if the benchmark works in furmark (not stress test) and if it does run the crysis benchmarks. I find that these work after a cleared cmos. I'm unsure why this would affect the running of the gfx card but I would if it was a system memory problem. (See my reply to jammy for full details on this.)

It may be an idea to start a combined thread, personal message each other or exchange e-mails as we may be able to troubleshoot this problem a lot faster combining our efforts.

I'll try and combine our problems into one post tomorrow for other forum members to pick over - but in the mean time if you're able to try out different gfx card or system memory on your system that would help eliminate a gfx and corsair conflict, I'm afraid i can't get my hands on any different memory or gfx card.

Good luck to you too.

Plec

Last edited:
Alright mate,

I pretty much got the same problem. Am with plec start a combined post, could be a faulty batch as I got mine last week from OCers. Maybe will drop them a line. A combined thread is a good idea and am more that happy to pass you guy's my email.

I must point out I have exams coming up and I can't put studying off any longer to work on this. So I will be doing it around my studying which will slow testing ect down for me.

See the thread link in plec's post. I have replied with more deatail there.

good luck,

I've just started a new thead on whether or not there is a compatibilty issue with the ATI 4850 card or 48** cards in general with Furmark. Click [thread=17997995]here[/thread] for link.

It would at least rule that possibilty out if a few ppl reply with positive experineces using this card and Furmark - and vice-versa.

Jesus, i had a holiday before all this...

Plec

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom