thermal paste?

Associate
well i built a new system from here not long ago and put it together, sadly it didnt work and both the psu and mobo where faulty. obviously this meens i mput the cpu and heatsink together and damaged the seal on teh thermal paste so presumably i have to reaply it. im buying a mouse and keyboard from ocuk soon so i can buy some thermal paste too if needs be. but how do i get rid of the thermal paste on my old cpu? thanks in advance. josh

Associate
OP
ok. that seems fairly straightforward, but is it safe to handle it that much? i dont want to static it to death or corrode it. and when i aply it do i put it on the cpu or the heatsink? thanks

RJC

RJC

Don
I tend to keep to the sides of the cpu when handling them.
Apply the thermal compound to the cpu normally, but check the manufacturer instructions.

Associate
OP
thanks. will i need a static band for this then? usuraky i just touch the radiator or case before i pick anything up. is that ok? thanks

Associate
thanks. will i need a static band for this then? usuraky i just touch the radiator or case before i pick anything up. is that ok? thanks

no, no, i've never used one of those, i've always just had the psu plugged into the mains just switched off at mains and the back. and i can bet most if not all the people on here don't use an anti-static wrist band.

Soldato
Isopropyl alcohol and paper towel - it's the base ingredient of a lot of the cleaners and can be specially ordered in from your local chemist.

If you want to use a general household product you could use meths or even real lemon juice slightly watered down.

As pointed out in other posts, make sure you wipe off the main bulk of the gunk first and use the alcohol/solution to completely clean up the CPU.

Last edited:
Soldato
Isopropyl alcohol and paper towel - it's the base ingredient of a lot of the cleaners and can be specially ordered in from your local chemist.

If you want to use a general household product you could use meths or even real lemon juice slightly watered down.

As pointed out in other posts, make sure you wipe off the main bulk of the gunk first and use the alcohol/solution to completely clean up the CPU.

Or Ethanol...

Back
Top Bottom