Films in 3D.. what are your thoughts!!

Associate
I borrowed Journey to the Center of the Earth from a friend so I could see my PlayStation 3 Blue Ray player in action.

I have seen plenty of HD content, but this one has 3D glasses with it, he said it was pretty good...

Its the easiest and worst form to watch 3D in, you know the blue and red tinted glasses, but I was blown away. I went out and bought My Bloody Valentine in 3D and absolutely flippin loved it!!!

I cant wait for this technology to become more widely available, its great. I would love to demo the shutter tech 3D, I should imagine that is superb!!

For those who have not tried 3d bluerays on your PS3, then do so, its a lot of fun...

Is there anything else that I should look at...

and there are a lot of people talking this tech down as a fad, I think its the next BIG thing, what are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Associate
Hey - I think 3D is ok - saw ice age 3d in cinema which uses polarized glasses and after the first couple of minutes adjustment it was great. Much better when the 3D is subtle and not in your face.

Not sure how mainstream it will get at home, but 2010 is supposed to big the release year for 3D tvs so we will see. I myself am still going to change my aging lcd to a brand new 2D one in jan, as i think it will take a couple of generations of 3D lcds for it to get good, and for a decent set of films to be available.

Avatar might be the turning point for 3D tech - uses a different way of filming to greatly improve the experience - time will tell as it is coming in Dec.

Associate
Avatar looks like it has the potential to be amazing and a big step forward in 3D films, am looking forward to this one hitting the flicks.

Apparently its going to come in as the fourth most expensive film ever :eek:

Associate
Avatar looks like it has the potential to be amazing and a big step forward in 3D films, am looking forward to this one hitting the flicks.

Apparently its going to come in as the fourth most expensive film ever :eek:

Considering all the new tech being used i wouldn't be suprised if it got closer ot the top.

I did see the trailer (albeit in 2D) and didn't think it was mindblowing, so i think the 3D nature of the film really makes it.

Soldato
i watched Final destination 3d last week, and although the fil is terrible the 3d effects were great, i found myself closing one eye to see the difference lol.

Soldato
I find that with the 3D films they're just a showcase for the technology - the effects are very good but in some cases over the top.

The final destination is a very good example.

Soldato
I love the technology. '4D' is much better though (lot of them in Theme Parks etc and there is one at the London Eye).

Seen two 3D movies in the cinema recently: Final Destination 3D (effects were good) and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (not so great effects)

AGD

AGD

Soldato
Having a film in 3d definitely adds to the experience in my opinion. Can't wait until all films are made that way.

Soldato
not really looked into what 3d films are coming out but im really looking forward too tron 2 in 3d. disney seems to have given it a huge budget and assuming being mostly computer animated will help the 3dness

Associate
Does anyone know if the newer 3d glasses (polarised) can fit over normal glasses, as other wise it's going to rule out certain films for quite a lot of the population (such as me) who have a mismatch in terms of quality of sight between their eyes.

Soldato
Haven't actually seen a 3D movie yet. Gonna wait until Avatar before i see one, but of course that will probably set the bar so high and any other 3D will be rubbish in comparison.

Soldato
Personally think the effect is lost on the small screen and viewing with the red/blue glasses gives me eyestrain after a while. A bit like those colour dot puzzles, you have to "trick" your mind into seeing things as intended.

Best 3D experience was probably at an Imax in the US. Now that really did work. In one water scene I actually reached up to touch my nose as I thought a bubble had burst against it!

Otherwise me I'm waiting for a holodeck or at least some form of holographic TV/receiver that doesn't require visual trickery with eyewear!

Soldato
Does anyone know if the newer 3d glasses (polarised) can fit over normal glasses, as other wise it's going to rule out certain films for quite a lot of the population (such as me) who have a mismatch in terms of quality of sight between their eyes.

Yeah fine.

I used them all the time at work. Same principle as optic correction but just filters on certain frequencies of the visible light spectrum.

Wzd

Wzd

Associate
The polarized movies just dont work very well for me!

It's not too bad if there's a static screen, but as soon as there's a screen pan it just blurs.

I wear contacts but apart from that my eye's are fine, they're even both the same level!

So for me with the current technology its just a gimmick and a way for cinemas to charge more!

The last 3D film I saw was Ice Age 3, and to be honsest coming out of the cinema I though I wouldnt really have missed anything if i'd seen it in 2D.

Back
Top Bottom