• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Issue with 5850.

Soldato
I bought a Powercolour 5850 and it's been working fine since I purchased it. For the last two mornings it's not the machine has not wanted to boot. The graphics card fan speed speeds up to 100% with no output to the monitor. Only a power down and restart gets it going again.

Specs are:

Asus p5q motheboard (with E8500)
Powerclolour 5850 G/card
Be quiet Darkpower 850W Power supply

I've never had any problems with the machine before this, and once it has booted the first time it's fine for the rest of the day with no instability.

I've checked for bios updates but Asus asn't released any for a few months.

I also, before going to bed last night checked the PCI frequency and I had set it to 101 previously, so I changed it to 100 but it made no difference this morning as I still have the cold boot issue.

Any suggestions as to what I could do to fix it?

Many thanks.

Caporegime
WELL IM WELL ****** OFF HERE, JUST TURNED UP, ITS A POXY LG DVD WRITER, SAID TO THE GUY, NO WAY YOU CAN OPEN THE BOX JUST SO I CAN CHECK THAT THE CARDS NOT BEEN UT IN A DIFF BOX, SAYS CAN'T SO ITS GONE BACK. IM ******* FUMING HERE :mad: :mad:

Oh dear, just phoned them up, seems like it may have been my card afterall, they said they sometimes put them in differnt boxes (recycling), so going to check with the warehouse to see if that is the case, then try to get the driver to re-deliver, and let me know.

Just phoned while i was typing this, thats whats happened, was my card, gona try and get it back to me, if not be Monday. :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've had that before as well. Ocuk like to recycle. I had a box turn up saying it was 20 x 2gb 9200 blades when in fact it was a mouse.

Bad luck on rejecting it.

I knew your 5850 delivery was doomed.:p

Caporegime
Yeah so did i, still could've been a good omen with the amount that are borked, or borking.

I only realised after he'd gone, that i should have signed for it and checked, as i could have always sent it back if it was wrong, but when yer on the spot like that, always happens, comes to you after, i just saw the big dvd writer box and thought wtf, thats not a gfx card, still he was early (about quarter to 11), and it was only about 20 minutes later they phoned me back to say they'll get onto the driver, see if he can re-deliver, if not be Monday, so theres a chance today i guess, i just want to know if ive got a borked one, as im not confident at all. :D

Im expecting the black screen 100% fan straight off, or if not, im gona be going to switch it on all the time thinking, is this the time i get the switch on ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, restart ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, restart, ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR restart, ERRRRRRRRRRRRR restart....., yay we boot, as theres loads doing it now, and from all brands. :p

Still as well i guess, they could have at least crossed the dvd writer stuff out or something, or stuck another label on it saying it was my card.

Last edited:
Associate
hi
loadsa dont be so negative , my saphy is running great . it will be fine .

just a side note when i ran furmark for 30 mins with fan on 30% it got up to 90 degs so i would slap a bit more fan speed when heavy gaming and i dont mean bejewelled lol

cheers

Caporegime
hi

just a side note when i ran furmark for 30 mins with fan on 30% it got up to 90 degs so i would slap a bit more fan speed when heavy gaming and i dont mean bejewelled lol

cheers

Minesweeper isn't much more demanding :p

ANyway no games stress the cards as much as furmark so only need to up the fan in furmark.

Associate
I bought a Powercolour 5850 and it's been working fine since I purchased it. For the last two mornings it's not the machine has not wanted to boot. The graphics card fan speed speeds up to 100% with no output to the monitor. Only a power down and restart gets it going again.

Specs are:

Asus p5q motheboard (with E8500)
Powerclolour 5850 G/card
Be quiet Darkpower 850W Power supply

I've never had any problems with the machine before this, and once it has booted the first time it's fine for the rest of the day with no instability.

I've checked for bios updates but Asus asn't released any for a few months.

I also, before going to bed last night checked the PCI frequency and I had set it to 101 previously, so I changed it to 100 but it made no difference this morning as I still have the cold boot issue.

Any suggestions as to what I could do to fix it?

Many thanks.

Hi hominid,

I too have the same issue, but I have to power cycle about 8 or 9 times before it works, but once it works it's perfectly fine until I power off again, it even survives reboots, the problem only occurs when I power off completely.

I suspect it's an Asus mobo issue, as I have a P5N-E SLI, and looking on the intraweb many Asus users are experiencing the same issue.

On a good note, just had mine overclocked to 850mhz core on default vcore, and it ran furmark quite happily for some time. Temp were 86c-88c with auto fan, which maxed out at 44%.

All in all I'm quite happy to live with the boot issue as I'm gonna be upgrading to an i5/7 soon anyway (E6420 @ 3.2ghz currently).

Regards

Spec

Associate
The only thing that I have experienced is the fan speeding up to 100% for 5 seconds on bootup occasionally just before the login screen but I think my Vista install is messed up :/ Oh well Win7 will be through the door soon :D

Back
Top Bottom