Losing weight the right way?

Caporegime
fella, read the stickys at the top of the forum. think about going running while throwing some decent weights sessions in each week

then, get your diet sorter, this is VERY important.

then, learn to sleep properly.

Soldato
wrong. hard to achieve, but it is possible.

Only if you're a total beginner, and even then, it won't last long.

Losing weight the right way is simple, literally these are the only things to remember:
1) Eat 4 or 5 meals a day
2) Breakfast: Porridge
Other 3 or 4 combine 1 protein, 1 carb and veg:
Chicken (1 breast), fish (Tuna 1 can)
veg, salad
potato, brown rice, wholemeal pasta (100g of any)
3) Drink water, no milk, no juice, no fizzy drinks

Don't even need to exercise at first, just eat clean.

Soldato
exercise exercise exercise

only thing that really works (for me anyway)

4 runs in the gym a week (of 30 minutes, starting at 2km now about 5km) plus 20 mins of weight = about a stone lost in 6 weeks

for me exercise is first, then diet - adjusts how quickly the weight comes off

Associate
everyone knows what you mean by "toning" so why is it somehow a dirty word. give him advice by all means, but telling him there is no such thing is just pointless

Soldato
Do they? Becuase many people still believe that doing 30 reps of a light weight is going to "tone" their muscles whereas the evil heavy weights will turn you into a bodybuilder type.

My advice is to read the sticky by GordyR.

Associate
He told you his goal to be toned, and I think you do know exactly what he meant, as we all do. He wanted advice on what to do to reach that goal which is likely to involve some degree of resistance training. Advising the sticky is fine, but snide comments about toning and machismo about weights is just the sort of thing that puts people off venturing into the free weights section of their gym and leaves them doing the steady state cardio and a little bit of some weights machine so never reaching their goals.

Soldato
Since when is stating a fact classed as a "snide comment"? A fact that is also stated in the sticky. You sound like a sally sensitive to me.

Soldato
exercise exercise exercise

only thing that really works (for me anyway)

4 runs in the gym a week (of 30 minutes, starting at 2km now about 5km) plus 20 mins of weight = about a stone lost in 6 weeks

for me exercise is first, then diet - adjusts how quickly the weight comes off

I have to disagree, diet is the more dominant factor with everything to do with losing weight or putting on muscle. Both are important, but without a proper diet you aren't going to get anywhere, doesn't matter if you run 5 miles a day, if you come home and eat garbage you won't lose weight, just like if you go to the gym, you won't put on any muscle if your diet lacks carbs and protein.

Soldato
tip #1: there's no such thing as toning

By "toning" it's just a combination of loosing body fat and gaining muscle (on a small scale), which can be achieved by hitting the cardio. When someone refers to toning they aren't going to hit the weights and require a high calorie diet or require a high deficit of calories they just want to slim down and have a sportsman type body.

MW

Caporegime
Wrong. The concept of exercising to "tone" muscles does not exist.

Wrong. With the right diet and exercise regime you can have muscle growth and fat loss at the same time (as I over a long period, not during a single session).
Toned is having firmer muscles and less bodyfat.

Get over the 'tone' thing, everyone knows what was meant.

Soldato
Being toned is the pretty much about having that LEAN look.

Thats the other way of saying it everyone knows what he means when he says toned he wants to look lean.

No need to be smartass n drop retareded comments like there is no such thing.

Why not suggest something insted of doing that.

We all know exactly waht he means and if its necesary will correct him.

Man of Honour
I have to disagree, diet is the more dominant factor with everything to do with losing weight or putting on muscle. Both are important, but without a proper diet you aren't going to get anywhere, doesn't matter if you run 5 miles a day, if you come home and eat garbage you won't lose weight, just like if you go to the gym, you won't put on any muscle if your diet lacks carbs and protein.

Bang on. Diet is 90% of the battle. And diet isn't jsut calorie reduction and doing it for a short period of time, it's a way of life.

Wrong. With the right diet and exercise regime you can have muscle growth and fat loss at the same time (as I over a long period, not during a single session).

Get over the 'tone' thing, everyone knows what was meant.

Agreed. You can be toned, and exercise to be toned. I actually hate the word "toning" when used incorrectly so often snub it as people just use it wrongly.

By exercising, losing weight, and gaining muscle mass you are improve your muscle tone, so I guess you could call it toning. It's just such a gay word! :p

Soldato

Wrong. A calorie defecit is required to lose fat. A calorie surplus (and resistance training) is required to build muscle. Therefore you cannot do both at the same time. The only exceptions are a short period of "newbie gains" or if you are using certain illegal drugs.

Wrong. Muscles do not get "firmer", they get bigger. They only appear firmer because of their increased size and/or a reduction of bodyfat.

Hope this helps. (although it's already in GordyR's excellent sticky)

Back
Top Bottom