Best gaming monitor for £300-£400

Associate
Associate
might be worth you looking into the new BenQ 120hz monitor as well seeing as it's designed around gaming

Soldato
I would yes, get an IPS 24" display, like the Dell or the HP ZR24w is another good and cheaper option, has a few less inputs and doesn't have the extended colour gamut, otherwise it's a direct competitor to it. £400 buys you a nice 24" IPS monitor anyway, I wouldn't buy a cheaper 27" of poorer quality.

Permabanned
HP LP2475w is a cracking 24" monitor, you should be able to find one for around the £400 mark if you shop around.

I have a Dell 2407wfp, I'm considering changing to a 24" IPS based monitor and I like the HP

Soldato
Honestly it isn't that difficult - let's not be American about this. ;)

There isn't any software trick that I know to do this. The preset modes change things on the hardware level that no software will - at least that's the way the U2410 is programmed. If you do find it bothersome it is possible to leave the U2410 in game mode. Obviously you don't have hardware control over the RGB levels but this can be done through software and if you're not using it professionally you probably shouldn't worry too much.

Associate
The u2410 is a great monitor; but the title says 'best gaming monitor'.
Dell Ultrasharp monitors are not designed for gaming!

The u2410 is definitely a contender but I would suggest the Asus VG236HE 23" 120HZ monitor for gaming.

It's half the price of the u2410 and is a 3d panel, 120hz and an excellent quality TN panel (one of the best I've seen).
The vg236HE is a nicer monitor for gaming/movie watching IMO due to the 120hz and the smoother pull down available with movies (24fps films are much smoother on 120hz panels than 60hz panels) (120/24=integer so the frames don't judder).

If you adjust the stand on a TN panel to suit then viewing angles are a moot point.

I also hate Dells anti glare coating (dirty colours) so to have a nice glossy screen on the asus would swing my vote.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not aimed at you specifically but this isn't something you can ever base on specifications and fairly ill-conceived thoughts floating aroud the internet. The colour reproduction of the U2410, both in range and intensity, far exceeds the performance of any TN panel on the market. It is the direction of things in the future, whether you like it or not (and so is increased refresh rate of course)- that is to say the colour reproduction of the U2410 is far closer to OLED monitors than any TN panel can achieve. The viewing angle issue of TN is significant because of the viewing angle dependency of the gamme curve. This means that a particular colour varies across the screen with respect to its position on the screen, even irrespective of viewing angle. The U2410 is also considerably more reponsive than the majority of TN panels I have tested so make no mistake about this. Obviously aggressive overdrive algorithms, faster framerates and draconian input lag reduction help to make the 120hz experience even smoother - but the difference is simply not as palpable as the image quality advantages of IPS. If you bundle cost into the equation then frankly 120hz monitors are overpriced if you aren't using the monitor for the original intention of stereoscopic 3D.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom