Faulty Corsair HX1000....Again!

Associate
Had a corsair HX1000 psu last february and took it back within 2 weeks of having it due to it buzzing. Replaced it for the same one as I've read many good reviews on it. Anyway, I had the replacement for roughly 1 and 1/2 years and tonight its started to buzz, loudly! What's worrying me is that it even buzzes when I've turned the PC off but theres still power going to it.

Just need some advice really, as I don't want to risk turning my pc on now until its replaced and the gutting thing is I water cooled my PC, and I can't get the psu out without stripping it down :( Silverstone TJ07.

This really is not acceptable for a psu that cost me £180. Can Overclockers replace it for me?

Thanks,

RoEy

Associate
Sadly Buzzing isnt a fault !!! Its something to hate , but Coil Buzzing isnt going to a harm a dicky bird performance wise, its something to do with low draw on the PSU creating resonant frequencies on the copper coils ya-da ya-da, Its not a singular fault usually, its often common along a line of PSU's.

Replacing one Buzzing apple for another isn't going to solve anything. I dont think you have any hope of getting it replaced 2 years later, But maybe you could sell it on the members market and move to another brand ? Just read the reviews first ! :)

Coil buzz or coil Whine is a common fault of PSU's , but i do believe you are paying for an experience after about 100 pounds for a PSU. It shouldn't happen ... So if it does you ask for recompense, but i dont fancy you getting it.

Associate
OP
Sadly Buzzing isnt a fault !!! Its something to hate , but Coil Buzzing isnt going to a harm a dicky bird performance wise, its something to do with low draw on the PSU creating resonant frequencies on the copper coils ya-da ya-da, Its not a singular fault usually, its often common along a line of PSU's.

Replacing one Buzzing apple for another isn't going to solve anything. I dont think you have any hope of getting it replaced 2 years later, But maybe you could sell it on the members market and move to another brand ? Just read the reviews first ! :)

Coil buzz or coil Whine is a common fault of PSU's , but i do believe you are paying for an experience after about 100 pounds for a PSU. It shouldn't happen ... So if it does you ask for recompense, but i dont fancy you getting it.

I've had it buzzing when gaming which I'm lead to believe isnt a fault and have lived with it. It would do it in sync with my graphics card especially when playing games like css, high fps which would make them squeal.

The sound I'm referring to that I've heard tonight is not normal. I've never heard it before and it's extremely loud. Like I said, its even doing it when the PC is off but has power going to it. Corsair offer 5 years warranty don't they?

I'd like to know what Overclockers can do for me.

RoEy

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Phoned Overclockers and they've issued me an rma no. They've said if it's faulty they will replace it for me. Can't fault that one single bit. Just wish I could remove the psu without taking out my water cooling :(

RoEy

Soldato
Hope you get the HX1000 replaced as a buzzing psu is very annoying.

From looking at your sig is a kilowatt psu really needed?,you could easily get away with a decent branded 700W

Associate
Maybe RoE you should sell on the unit you get returned on the MM before you un-box it, i agree it is overkill to a small extent , and when your not drawing about 65-80% load on your psu at least some of the time i believe you are exposing it to situations where coil whine will become more likely over time. Just a suggestion , i dont know if its a Faux Pas to suggest such a thing, since you just rma'ed it, but buying your 700-800W replacement from clockers should balance the Karma.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll look into it. I'm not too bothered about the psu situation, whats really annoying me is the fact I have to strip down my water cooling to get the psu out. :(

Associate
OP
Well I put the plug into a different socket this morning (surge protector extension cable) and I've turned it on and now it sounds fine again, apart from the odd chirping/ clicking (very quiet) it does, which its always done.

I really don't get it. I can't afford to strip my system down then send it back to Overclockers for them to say it's not faulty. Do I just keep running it to monitor or what? My PC hardly ever gets used to so it's not like it's been on 24/7, this psu should go for years and years.

Is it possible that I had some 'dirty' electricity coming down my line the other night? daft question I know but people talk about clean power....:D

Surely if it was faulty it would still be doing it now, unless its heat related but it's been on the for the last hour and sounds fine.

RoEy

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've just checked the voltages in everest and bios and looking at the 3.3v and 5v im getting 3.20 and 4.80. I think they've always been this but not sure. Are the readings ok or should they be getting 3.3 and 5?

RoEy

Last edited:
Caporegime
At the lower end but within ATX specification which is plus or minus 5%.

3.3v can be 3.135-3.465v.

5v can be 4.75-5.25v.

12v is the most important though.

Associate
OP
At the lower end but within ATX specification which is plus or minus 5%.

3.3v can be 3.135-3.465v.

5v can be 4.75-5.25v.

12v is the most important though.

My 12v is 12.1 I think. So what should I do? Stick with the psu while it's sounding normal or what? It sounds fine now. Really don't get it.

RoEy

Associate
OP
Don't know why I thought I couldnt remove the psu without touching water cooling but I have. Just took the grill off at the back and slotted right out. doh! :p Think it's because I've always put psu in first then shelf on top of it.

Sending it off today for Overclockers to check.

RoEy

Associate
OP
Just to update - Overclockers have sent the psu to Corsair for them to replace it with a new one. I wish I could have had one of them thats in stock at OCUK but I've had it for longer than a year so I can't. At least its being replaced so I'm not moaning. Just hope I'm not waiting too long for it.

RoEy

Associate
Normally takes 8 - 10 days to get the new one back. That's how long they took to replace my HX1000.

As a side note .. if you had done the RMA yourself and sent the unit only back Corsair would have sent you a complete new boxed unit back with all the leads etc.

Back
Top Bottom