Faulty Corsair HX1000....Again!

Associate
Had a corsair HX1000 psu last february and took it back within 2 weeks of having it due to it buzzing. Replaced it for the same one as I've read many good reviews on it. Anyway, I had the replacement for roughly 1 and 1/2 years and tonight its started to buzz, loudly! What's worrying me is that it even buzzes when I've turned the PC off but theres still power going to it.

Just need some advice really, as I don't want to risk turning my pc on now until its replaced and the gutting thing is I water cooled my PC, and I can't get the psu out without stripping it down :( Silverstone TJ07.

This really is not acceptable for a psu that cost me £180. Can Overclockers replace it for me?

Thanks,

RoEy

Associate
OP
Sadly Buzzing isnt a fault !!! Its something to hate , but Coil Buzzing isnt going to a harm a dicky bird performance wise, its something to do with low draw on the PSU creating resonant frequencies on the copper coils ya-da ya-da, Its not a singular fault usually, its often common along a line of PSU's.

Replacing one Buzzing apple for another isn't going to solve anything. I dont think you have any hope of getting it replaced 2 years later, But maybe you could sell it on the members market and move to another brand ? Just read the reviews first ! :)

Coil buzz or coil Whine is a common fault of PSU's , but i do believe you are paying for an experience after about 100 pounds for a PSU. It shouldn't happen ... So if it does you ask for recompense, but i dont fancy you getting it.

I've had it buzzing when gaming which I'm lead to believe isnt a fault and have lived with it. It would do it in sync with my graphics card especially when playing games like css, high fps which would make them squeal.

The sound I'm referring to that I've heard tonight is not normal. I've never heard it before and it's extremely loud. Like I said, its even doing it when the PC is off but has power going to it. Corsair offer 5 years warranty don't they?

I'd like to know what Overclockers can do for me.

RoEy

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Phoned Overclockers and they've issued me an rma no. They've said if it's faulty they will replace it for me. Can't fault that one single bit. Just wish I could remove the psu without taking out my water cooling :(

RoEy

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll look into it. I'm not too bothered about the psu situation, whats really annoying me is the fact I have to strip down my water cooling to get the psu out. :(

Associate
OP
Well I put the plug into a different socket this morning (surge protector extension cable) and I've turned it on and now it sounds fine again, apart from the odd chirping/ clicking (very quiet) it does, which its always done.

I really don't get it. I can't afford to strip my system down then send it back to Overclockers for them to say it's not faulty. Do I just keep running it to monitor or what? My PC hardly ever gets used to so it's not like it's been on 24/7, this psu should go for years and years.

Is it possible that I had some 'dirty' electricity coming down my line the other night? daft question I know but people talk about clean power....:D

Surely if it was faulty it would still be doing it now, unless its heat related but it's been on the for the last hour and sounds fine.

RoEy

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've just checked the voltages in everest and bios and looking at the 3.3v and 5v im getting 3.20 and 4.80. I think they've always been this but not sure. Are the readings ok or should they be getting 3.3 and 5?

RoEy

Last edited:
Associate
OP
At the lower end but within ATX specification which is plus or minus 5%.

3.3v can be 3.135-3.465v.

5v can be 4.75-5.25v.

12v is the most important though.

My 12v is 12.1 I think. So what should I do? Stick with the psu while it's sounding normal or what? It sounds fine now. Really don't get it.

RoEy

Associate
OP
Don't know why I thought I couldnt remove the psu without touching water cooling but I have. Just took the grill off at the back and slotted right out. doh! :p Think it's because I've always put psu in first then shelf on top of it.

Sending it off today for Overclockers to check.

RoEy

Associate
OP
Just to update - Overclockers have sent the psu to Corsair for them to replace it with a new one. I wish I could have had one of them thats in stock at OCUK but I've had it for longer than a year so I can't. At least its being replaced so I'm not moaning. Just hope I'm not waiting too long for it.

RoEy

Associate
OP
Damn. I would have done that if I'd have known. To be fair, I wish Overclockers would have told me that all they were going to do was send it on to Corsair. Only thing is it cost me enough to send it to Overclockers nevermind Corsair. So you're saying I wont get a fully new boxed unit back then?

What was wrong with your HX1000?

RoEy

Associate
OP
Fully boxed back.... depends if the OCUK tech guys read this and realise that you now know that Corsair will replace with new boxed unit :)

Well it wants to be as that what I got when I paid £180 for it. :) Thanks for the heads up though. It's a killer not having the PC working though, plus I recently got 50mb and now it's sat there doing nothing. :(

RoEy

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Still waiting for the replacement. Phoned Overclockers yesterday and they said I should recieve the new PSU mid next week. If that is the case it will have been 3 1/2 weeks since my PC was on. I'm just worrying about the fact it is water cooled and the longest I've ever left it off is 2 weeks.

Should I be worried or will it be fine?

RoEy

Associate
OP
I just want to know if it will be ok with the water being still for the best part of a month?

The water I'm using is bi-distilled, plus corrosion block and a silver kill coil in the res.

RoEy

Associate
OP
What the hell is going on?? Got the new psu Thursday and plugged it in. Everything seemed to be working fine and literally just 5 minutes ago it's started to buzz like mad, just like it did last time.

I have really had enough of this. It buzzes when I game at high fps but so does my gpu and it's always done that. This however, is now buzzing when my PC is idle.

What could be causing this? It has to be something else in my PC that's doing it surely? This is my third Corsair PSU!!!

Please, can someone advise me what to do?

RoEy

Associate
OP
Tried unplugging everything from the psu and I still get the buzz. Even when the pc is turned off I still get a buzz coming from the psu. Shoddy shoddy shoddy corsair.

Do I have to wait another month now for another crappy corsair psu to turn up on my door?

I have nothing bad to say about overclockers they have done everything they can for me but boy do I need them to help me with this one.

I've even got a massive extension cable and plugged it into a socket from another room thinking it might be an issue with the rooms socket.

I give up.........

RoEy

Associate
OP
Where do I go from here then guys? I'd like to send it back and if possible get a different psu but I don't know where I stand with that.

Really had enough.

RoEy

Associate
OP
How can I possibly sell it? I wouldnt want anyone else to have this psu, plus I'll get grief from whoever buys it. There's no way I'll ever touch corsair psu's again. As for the corsair HX850, there are several people on corsair forum who have buzzing psu's.

I'll phone overclockers tomorrow to see what can be done. It cost me £15 to send it to them and I had to wait over 3 weeks to get another back and now this one is playing up too. Surely something can be done for me.

Thanks anyway,

One more bad thing away from putting my fist right through it all.

RoEy

Back
Top Bottom