Natural Selection 2

Associate
Yup, I'm playing it quite a lot atm - the beta is SO much better than the alpha but it still has a long way to go untill it is a fully polished release.

The biggest issue for me is the lag (seems like net lag) and the infinite sound of the marine machine gun.

Gameplay is simply awesome and I'm glad to see they've sorted the hitboxes now as before it was unplayable...this game is gonna be AWESOME when it's done!!!

Tom

Man of Honour
I need to get round to trying the beta. I was a bit miffed that despite preordering it years (well, a long long time) ago, I didn't get alpha access as I didn't order the collectors edition...which wasn't even available when I preordered.

Soldato
Swifty it's not that, it's a closed beta. They did offer a "Premium" version which included alpha access and marine black armour (when the final game is released). Though it didn't last long. However it did allow those of us who have played ns1 for neigh on 10 years to give a little something back to the team.

It seems now, they are a little short on capital, being a very small independent team. Hence the reason for the closed beta access for pre-orders. Whilst i grant you it's not in a total playable state right now (lag issues, key features still not implemented), it's clear the dev's are working as hard as they can to produce the game that they promise.

So if you fancy a game which is a little different to the norm, don't be afraid to give this a try.

Associate
OP
The main issue for me at the moment is the FPS lag. It doesn't seem to run that well on my machine and I'm sure my new laptop can play a game of NS2's calibre fine. I read on their forums that quite a few monster machines are having FPS issues cause the game engine needs optimising a fair bit. How are you guys finding the FPS?

Associate
OP
Aye, its an FPS game (Aliens vs Marines) with the objective of killing and destroying all of the team and main structures (Hive for aliens etc).

Both teams also have a commander who issues orders, builds stuff and for these players its basically a strategy game...

Crazy mix aye... some of the issues with this I had in NS1 look to be removed in gameplay for NS2 :)

Soldato
Loved NS1, but NS2 has always looked a bit shakey and i worry that it will never actually come out and if it does will it have the spark of the original. Also amuses me that i saw a video a few weeks ago where one of the dev's was really happy that they had fixed the hit detection enough that people could actually be shot! A big milestone but not exactly something that fills people with confidence when such an issue existed in the first place!

Soldato
In it's defence, it was alpha...

Hit boxes are a relatively small issue to fix when you have built a complete engine from scratch.

Some games making it to retail have dodgy hit boxes.

Soldato
Main dev (flayra) is a complete moron, wont be buying, would advise others not to aswell because the game will start fun but change in to something dumb.

Associate
Played the original briefly back in the day, and it seemed like great fun. Will keep an eye on this.

Basically this.

I played NS1 to death when it came out - it was amazing, and was considered by many to be the most ambitious (in terms of technical achievement) fan-made mod for HL1.

Only thing I will miss is that now both sides have a commander now, which takes some of the difference between sides away :(

But I still have pre-ordered it and don't doubt it will be great.

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom