Abit AA8 Motherboard Code: 9.F

Soldato
Hi folks,

I got home tonight and found the PC won't boot :( It's powers up with 100% cpu fan for 30 seconds and then shuts off. There's no VGA output and the motherboard shows the last code being 9.F.

Does anyone know what 9.F means?

I ponder if it's the motherboard (Abit AA8 3rd Eye/duramax) as one capacitor on the top right has a slight bulge and what looks like a spot of black goo leakage about the size of a snails poo :o

Thanks is advance,
Hector.

from a quick google, its either cpu or power related. people have got it to boot after clearing the cmos properly sometimes, and then got rid of the error by turning off the auto shut off options in the bios, as apperently the abit guru thing is buggy.

I would have linked you to the proper Abit post error codes but either that part of their site is down, or something Im running is blocking the page from loading.

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...w7&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=ivnsfd

Hope the link works.
Taken from the link.

When you see guru code 9.9. or 9.F. or 9.F. on the LED, it indicates a normal shutdown. on the LED Indicates a normal shutdown it.
Under a normal condition, when you use soft turn off, you will also see 9.9. * Under a normal condition, when you use soft turn off, you will also see 9.9. or 9.F. or 9.F. ; you do not need to take any action. ; You do not need to take any action.

9.F. µGuru force shutdown μGuru forceshutdown
1. 1. Power on -> Stop at 9.F.2. Power on -> Stop at 9.F.2. 0.0.->8.3.->9.F. 0.0 .-> 8.3 .-> 9.F. repeat repeat
1. 1. OC too high2. OC high2 too. Power supply compatibility Power supply compatibility
1.Restore default setting for BIOS2.
1.Restore default setting for BIOS2. Replace with other power supply Replace with other power supply

As you are not getting other codes like above I think it could be a good number of reasons.
Time for a upgrade maybe. Could be time for a Sandybridge;)

The leaky capacitor doesn't sound good, but aside from that (which you could probably replace if you are any way decent with a soldering iron) I would say 9F is likely to be a dodgy/failing PSU. Do you have another PSU to test?

I've cleared the cmos, sadly no joy. PSU I don't have another compatable, they are all too old :( The current PSU has led's on the back that should report if a rail is weak or if too much juice is being pulled, the led's are all green (okay) but then I doubt it's fool proof.

It could well be the PSU. Is an ATX2.3 compactable with ATX2.1 aged hardware? If so then I can always get a 2.3 and if the pc still won't wake up then I won't have wasted any money on trying.

What is the make/model of your current PSU?

I can't see any reason why any of the newer PSU's would not work with your current motherboard. Worse case scenario you may need a 24-20pin adapter, and a lot of PSU's include this anyway.

Is there no-one you can borrow a PSU from?

Diggsy, its an OCZ power supply. Can't remember the model as its my brothers PC and me and my old memory don't always work well:D

The setup has been running for a good 6 years day in day out. Been a good setup but little things have been going on for a while which may have been a warning.
Its based in a UFO case, and I was just wondering if you or anyone else can confirm if new ATX mobos will still fit this ATX case?
As its been a good system we are a little behind in the modern stuff.
There are also a few IDE hard drives used and am I right in thinking they will not run on the new boards?

The funny thing is I told my brother its time for an upgrade even though his system was working well and the very next day it failed:( Typical!!

^ Said I don't need to upgrade as the pc has years left in it for what I use it for and the very next day, it's kaput!

The PSU has an 8pin (4/4) CPU power lead and 6pin PCIe leads and the main mobo lead has a 24pin (20/4) connector.

I don't know of anyone with a PSU of the right format that I could borrow :(

Thanks for the kind offer Ch3mIc4L.

We are a long way from you sadly. I spoke to my bro and I have decided to start fresh.
I was looking at an i7 950 for myself but now I think maybe I need to purchase the Sandybridge and will double up the parts so we both end up with the same kind of equipment.

do you have a mate who has access to the MM on this forum? You could get a similar board for cheap on there, and then if it doesnt fix the problem just re sell it again for the same price?

Diggsy I'm on a laptop but I do have a very old PSU but its going back to the 90's so no good for testing sadly.

Ch3m1c4L, thanks for the tip.

Our old pc's really struggle with games. Mine really did at one point and went as low as 3 fps on ghost recon (I think I got the name right). We decided to go Xbox for games as then it was getting silly keeping up with the new games and hardware but now I think the new chips and hardware seems to cope very well so it would be nice to once again have both Xbox and PC for games and apps.
I'm stuck on this old celeron and its just so slow I really should get a more upto date PC. I went laptop thinking small, easy to use but I now fancy getting back into the desktop stuff.
I might even get ADSL too lol. Dialup is no fun!!

Nice one, keep us posted, hopefully it will work, but then on the other hand, I am sure an excuse to upgrade would be even nicer :D

Nice one, keep us posted, hopefully it will work, but then on the other hand, I am sure an excuse to upgrade would be even nicer :D

If I were to put the PSU in it would be a case of upgrading:D
Maybe best to get all the data of the IDE drives if it does so that it saves time when we upgrade. I should have ordered a new drive as well for that reason!!

Well the new PSU was fitted and still the same problem. Bro is going through all the methods to see what else it could be but we both think now its the old mother board that's packed in.
That old upgrade time is a lot closer now.

Back
Top Bottom