Asus P8P67 won't POST :(

Soldato
Ok so I finally finished putting the new kit together and the flaming thing won't post.

The red LEDs on the motherboard cycle as it tests stuff but then stop with the VGA-LED solidly lit. All fans are spinning and drives powered but no beep and no POST.

I've tried the graphics card from my second machine and this does exactly the same. I've tried both cards in the second machine and they're fine so it's not the graphics cards (phew! - thought I'd blown one).

Anyone have any ideas or is the mobo DOA?

I've given up.

I've removed all other cards and disconnected all the drives, then tried it with three different graphics cards and the same problem persists in all cases.

The board is toast and is going back.

I'm seriously regretting even trying Asus now - wish I'd just stuck to Gigabyte as I have five machines here with Gigabyte boards and they all work perfectly. I've just ordered a Gigabyte board and will be returning the Asus for a refund.

The sheer number of issues with the P8P67 staggers me tbh and I'm kicking myself for not heeding them. Seriously people, stay the hell away from this piece of junk and get another brand. Asus's quality control is a farce.

I've given up.

I've removed all other cards and disconnected all the drives, then tried it with three different graphics cards and the same problem persists in all cases.

The board is toast and is going back.

I'm seriously regretting even trying Asus now - wish I'd just stuck to Gigabyte as I have five machines here with Gigabyte boards and they all work perfectly. I've just ordered a Gigabyte board and will be returning the Asus for a refund.

The sheer number of issues with the P8P67 staggers me tbh and I'm kicking myself for not heeding them. Seriously people, stay the hell away from this piece of junk and get another brand. Asus's quality control is a farce.

I know exactly what you mean, spent around 20 hours trying to get mine to post since I got it on tuesday evening.

you think that ocuk would do some investigating by now with a lot of ppl having problems with these asus boards,they must have direct contact with asus or a rep to see if there is a fix,and i,m surprised they have not stopped selling the boards till they get some info.

There's a CLRTC jumper which I believe is it but the manual is next to useless.

Indeed. The feature set is nice but all the features in the world are useless if the thing won't even POST.

I got mine still sat in the original packaging im still waiting for the company i got it from to contact me as i want to cancel my agreement and go with the msi board.
How they won awards for customer support i do not know they dont answer my emails.

In fairness there are plenty of people P8P67 with no issues. I'm fortunate enough to be one of them.

There are undoubtedly some boards that are faulty but Asus are very popular for a reason.

Have you tried a card in one of the other PCI-e slots?

cant get mine to boot at all, tried clearing the cmos, ordered a gigabyte ud4 to rule out the cpu

my cpu led is solid red, does that indicate cpu and not the mobo?

Last edited:
In fairness there are plenty of people P8P67 with no issues. I'm fortunate enough to be one of them.

There are undoubtedly some boards that are faulty but Asus are very popular for a reason.

Well they may be popular but I've no reason to suspect more Asus boards are being sold than Gigabyte ones and I'm seeing shedloads of issues with the Asus and none with the Gigabyte so far.

Have you tried a card in one of the other PCI-e slots?[/QUOTE]

I haven't actually. I may do that tonight but then again I may not bother as it's sort of irrelevant whether it works in that slot or not - if it doesn't work in the main one then the board is broken.

I haven't actually. I may do that tonight but then again I may not bother as it's sort of irrelevant whether it works in that slot or not - if it doesn't work in the main one then the board is broken.

Indeed. However it might get you far enough to maybe flash the bios and see how you get on.

I seem to recall someone else having problems in slot 1 but being on in slot 2

I'm seriously regretting even trying Asus now - wish I'd just stuck to Gigabyte as I have five machines here with Gigabyte boards and they all work perfectly. QUOTE]

I agree with you. I was one of the "lucky" ones who managed to order early. One time I wish that wasn'tthe case :-)

Mine works and boots ok, unless I want to run my memory at 1600Mhz. Then I get the cold boot issues. And that is with memory that is on there QVL list running at correct settings.

Let us know what you think of the Gigabyte board when you get it.

I've just finished my Sandybridge build with the P8P67 Pro. Booted up first time no problems. Flashed bios from 0402 to 1053. My ram booted up at 1333Mhz, so i set it to 1600Mhz and 6-7-6-20 1T and 1.5v and it works fine. May lower the VDDR further as i know it can run lower, as on my R2E setup. Not overclocked cpu yet, but will do soon.

For those with problems, try the CLEAR CMOS jumper (CLEAR RTC RAM), with the mains lead pulled out and hit the PC start button first to drain all power to the mobo.

Only other thing i can think of that may be causing problems is a short on the motherboard, either with stand-off's or if you look at the cpu backplate on the underside of the board, you will notice some raised resistors and component solder points. These MAY be making contact with your cpu cooler backplates if you have them or they may have been crushed !
Worth checking anyway.

Ok well the good news is I've got it working!! :D

Ended up totally clearing the CMOS at the request of Asus support. For the benefit of others, apparently you need to remove the battery AND switch the CLRTC jumper for 5-10 seconds to clear it.

After this it came to life. I can only assume that the CMOS was corrupted in some way but at least it works!

I'm having problems too now, uggggh!!
i seem to have no post, blank screen in black colour.
It was working till the point i just changed my Geil rans from 1333mhz to 1600mhz, and then the scary motherboard just didn't want to startup. The fans are all working, iv tried cmos million and two times, i even took out battery and cmos, but to no avail.

It was working till the point i just changed my Geil rans from 1333mhz to 1600mhz, and then the scary motherboard just didn't want to startup. The fans are all working, iv tried cmos million and two times, i even took out battery and cmos, but to no avail.

Was this after a failed overclock?

I find i sometimes need to turn the machine on and off 4 or 5 times to get it back. Its really odd but obviously a BIOS issue.

you think that ocuk would do some investigating by now with a lot of ppl having problems with these asus boards,they must have direct contact with asus or a rep to see if there is a fix,and i,m surprised they have not stopped selling the boards till they get some info.

Asus have been informed about issues customers are having.

The sheer volume of Asus boards that have been sold far outweighs the amounts sold by other companies by 3 fold. So naturally more problems will be happening.

I think you will find no one is going to stop selling the board. At the moment our return rate for the P8P67 PRO is 0.70%.

Yep the bios is totally useless regardless of which one you use. It is not your hardware at fault it is a very ill thought out bios that was rushed out by Asus. Asus replied to me by mail saying they thought 4-5 tries at posting was acceptable so they are not filling me with confidence. In the end I went with Gigabytes old bios technology. It also has problems but at least it will boot without pretending your Ram is goosed.

Back
Top Bottom