Poll: Voice Communication: New Poll: TS3, Mumble and Ventrilo

Which one would be ideal for a large community?

• Teamspeak 3

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Mumble

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • Ventrilo

Votes: 36 20.8%

• Total voters
OcUK Staff
You have three choices:

Teamspeak 3
Mumble
Ventrilo

If Overclockers UK had a Voice Communication server, which type do you think would be suitable for large communities and why?

Soldato
I voted for mumble, as from the brief amount of use I've got of it, it seems to maintain the lower latencies I've seen from teamspeak, whilst not being that system heavy, having a nice room ingame overlay, and also having decent voice quality, think it also has built in normalisation on voices which is nice.

Haven't tried TS3 to see how its improved from TS2, but that'd be my second choice...TS2 sounds worse than vent, but its lighter on your system and lower latency in most cases, which is more important than sound quality as long as you're understandable.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've never tried Mumble, but between Vent and TS I would say TS. I've used it for years and never had a problem at all. Not sure how good the server software is at hundreds of people though, was only ever in channels with a maximum of around 50. Can't see it being an issue though providing the server had enough power.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had really bad experiences with TS2 server, 90% of them had terrible codecs.

Used Ventrilo for years, great stuff with the voice normalisation, no more quiet or loud people.

Used Mumble for Global Agenda and Rift, seems fine.

My vote goes to Ventrilo due to the voice normalisation, loads of people popping in and out massively increases the risk me getting deafened.

Soldato
Had really bad experiences with TS2 server, 90% of them had terrible codecs.

Used Ventrilo for years, great stuff with the voice normalisation, no more quiet or loud people.

Used Mumble for Global Agenda and Rift, seems fine.

My vote goes to Ventrilo due to the voice normalisation, loads of people popping in and out massively increases the risk me getting deafened.

Pretty much the same order for me.

Vent > Mumble >>>> TS

Associate
Mumble and that's after using Ventrilo for around 5 years.

As to why, the lower latency of Mumble makes it far better. There's literally no delay when someone speaks to when you hear it.

The OSD is nice too :)

I do miss the admin side of Ventrilo though, it's so much easier adding admins/making channels.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom