CM690 XSPC RASA 750 RS 240

Associate
From the outset I want to say unlike my other projects I'm not planning any mods to this chassis (not yet anyway).

I want to keep things as stock as possible.

That said, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to resist the urge as the build progresses.

I'm planning to review this case as I go along with the build, and bring my final thoughts together at the end. I know there have been many many reviews of this case, and that it has a well respected place in the community, however most reviews are written by people who aren't actually building it or using it. As I am building into it and will be using it I hope my little missive may be able to add something.

All build logs should start with a Kit list so here goes.

CM690 II Advanced in black with window
XSPX Rasa 750 RS240
Intel i7 920 @4.2
Asus P6-T Deluxe V2
Patriot 6 GB
Antec truepower New 750 PSU
GPU to be confirmed.

Most of the hardware has come out of my Black ops Skelly build and although strictly speaking a generation old it's still mighty fine kit and clocks to 4.2 on air so may well go higher with the water (depending on how brave i'm feeling)

Stage 1 The strip down. (Afternoon of 26.03.11)

Let the Strip down commence
IMG_1401.jpg

Sides and front panel removed
IMG_1416.jpg

Top removed (this took some working out)
IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

Lower HDD rack removed.
IMG_1424.jpg

Some general photos of case detail etc.

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1437.jpg

Beer stops play. The strip down complete A beer to reward myself and to help cushion the verbal blows I know i'm going to get when my wife gets back from town and sees the state of the kitchen
IMG_1444-1.jpg

Thoughts on the case so far then, well it's reputation appears deserved, it is well built and well put together. Whether it's metal or plastic everything feels sturdy (with the possible exception of the HDD rack tool less mount flappy door things which feel a bit flimsy)

The case comes apart easily with minimal need to refer to the instructions. I did find it quite hard to work out how to release the clips to remove the top section, and also to actually remove the clips once I'd worked out where they were and how to do it.

There is real attention to detail in this case, a feeling that the project team wouldn't let it go out to market until it was "just right"

Now all i've got to do is put it back together...now where did I put all those screws I took out????

next stage is to work out how to mount the RASA kit and to mock up a loop to see where everything is going to go.

Also thinking of using compressions rather than the barbs the kit comes with. Only a few quid more.

Soldato
I am subbing to this build. I have a CM-690 myself and am looking towards water at some point. I am interested to watch a build on it to learn of any difficulties.

You say GPU to be confirmed, are you looking to watercool the GPU too?

Associate
OP
cheers for the support guys, always nice to get off to a good start.

The Mozart build will be starting sson, however my good lady has put her foot down and insisted that I "Mod the bathroom" first. I think this is her way of saying new shower, sink, tiles etc.

Wasn't intending to do too much to this case but already thinking of deviating away from stock with the cooling.

So need help with a few decisions here. I was originally planning to use the XSPC kit in it's vanilla form, (barbs and tubing the lot) but you know how it goes, you get started and you get a few ideas. I should say there's absolutely nothing wrong with the XSPC kit, it's great, it's just I can't help looking inside a case and thinking Mmmmm...I wonder what it would look like if I did...

Option 1
Stay with the XSPC kit exactly as it is, chrome barbs with black retainer clips, clear tubing.

Option 2
Black tubing with the above

Option 3
Black tubing but change to black compressions

Option 4
Black tubing but change to chrome compressions

Option 5
White tubing and black or chrome compressions.

If I go for option 5 do i stay with black braid or go for white braiding???

All suggestions appreciated.

Soldato
Dubs although i think your reviews/logs are brilliant i think your forgetting something, something HUGE that you should be doing so stop fu%^ing about and get on with the Mozart :)

As for this case stay stock...then you can review the kit and the case, believe me its not worth spending 30 to change the colour of your barbs (and black tubing's already been done in my build :))

Last edited:
Associate
Not long found the Project Logs page and i have to say i dont think i can

handle much more of the pr0n that goes on in here. Those that do are very

hardcore but i will peep a pic or two now and then. ;)

Very nice build and log. Keep the updates coming and pics... :o

Associate
OP
Dubs although i think your reviews/logs are brilliant i think your forgetting something, something HUGE that you should be doing so stop fu%^ing about and get on with the Mozart :)

As for this case stay stock...then you can review the kit and the case, believe me its not worth spending 30 to change the colour of your barbs (and black tubing's already been done in my build :))

Getting real mixed messages here Sayso..Are you saying I should be getting on with something else :)

Meanwhile a few picks of test fitting for Rad and res.

I've spent most of the afternoon staring into the case and trying to visualise the tubing route.

my wife commented that I never look that longingly at her

(feel free to insert your joke about tubing routes and beautiful chassis)

Please note i've left the protective cover on the front of the reservoir

002.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

020.jpg

Rad mount is only for test fit, I'm probably going to have the fans that come with the XSPC as pull on top of the rad, and the Air penetrators I reviewed as push inside the case.

Lighting is going to be predominantly Blue but that's fine with me. I know Blue has been done a lot, in fact so much that it's almost retro now.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The rad can be as easily mounted at the bottom as it can at the top. I went for top because it maks the loop neater and because it's less prone to sucking indust up there. The arguments for putting it at the botton are good though as it makes filling easier (res becomes highest point in loop) and the air that comes is cooler. Really just personal preference though.

Soldato
May I ask the reason for mounting the rad at the top of the case as opposed to the bottom?

The rad can be as easily mounted at the bottom as it can at the top. I went for top because it maks the loop neater and because it's less prone to sucking indust up there. The arguments for putting it at the botton are good though as it makes filling easier (res becomes highest point in loop) and the air that comes is cooler. Really just personal preference though.

Also in some cases, there can be difficulties with larger PSUs and cables so close to the rad. It can be done, but takes some work.

Associate
OP
thanks for the feed back guys. i'm pretty much at the point of deciding whether to go stock on the fitings or go for compressions. If I do, in first place is black EK compressions and black tubing. second place is black compressions and white tubing with white braid (done too often?)

Associate
Stay at stock!

That way I'll know how good it will look if I ever get round to saving enough money to buy one of these. :D

Associate
OP
I was really considering the cm690 on my last build it looks great, keep up the good work.

I have to say I have been very pleased with every aspect of the case so far. It's currently on the Kitchen table, and yesterday I noticed that all over the rear of the motherboard tray area are little raised areas with gaps behind them. What the heck are they I thought, why not make it smooth instead of all those little raised loop things. Then i twigged that they were there to anchor cable ties to when you're hiding all your wires around the back. nice touch and no need for sticky tape here. I should be able to make the rear as smart as the front.

So the case is on the Kitchen table, much to the annoyance of Mrs Dubs who is still insistent that she said I "Mod the Bathroom" before I do any more case modding projects.

Ah but I say, but this isn't a case modding project, this is a simple build.

Not the wisest thing to say perhaps and suffice to say the "discussion" went downhill from there to the point where I may have all modding rights removed for a short period if I'm not careful

I may have to go underground, think outside the box.

I know.....I could pretend I'm having an affair and actually be sneaking off for some clandestine nocturnal modding.

Back
Top Bottom