Grimsvotn volcano erupts in Iceland

Is that the big one?

I assume you mean Katla? Nope...

Just another Icelandic volcaon erupting, likely to be like all but one of the other eruptions and not affect us in any way shape of form...

I love the bottom of the first link...

And he makes this conclusion based on what again?

Erm... Science... Experience... Knowledge...

The Eyjafjallajokull erupton (specifically the second eruption) was a serious fluke that is unlikely to happen again for many reasons...

And another opportunity to post one of my favourite blogs http://bigthink.com/blogs/eruptions/

Written by someone who knows what he's actually talking about... :D

On the other hand... If it does fluke again it better not do so until Monday afternoon!

I sincerely hope this doesn't cause any problems, or spread any sort of sizable ash cloud. It was fine when it was just airlines loosing money, but this time we have a shuttle to get home.

Seeing as there are no engines on the shuttle to clog up with ash and melt I reckon the shuttle would be ok. Landing a shuttle is falling with style!

Seeing as there are no engines on the shuttle to clog up with ash and melt I reckon the shuttle would be ok. Landing a shuttle is falling with style!

Well my worry would have been with the ash impacting on the heat-proof tiles, which are somewhat susceptible to damage and it can have disastrous consequences when they are damaged, but i'm not sure of the physics of the situation - as i said, just the first thing that sprang to mind.

Don't worry, I doubt the ash cloud would spread all the way to Texas, where they usually land! :) Besides that volcano has been erupting at least once a decade lately and it hasn't caused major problems for air traffic beyond Iceland so far.

Can't see it being a repeat. Looks a very small cloud generated since 21:00 yesterday and is blowing out into the north Atlantic. There's a 160nm restriction in place in the BIRD NOTAM today, but nothing for the rest of Europe. Might effect the north Atlantic tracks a little, but shouldn't cause any continental problems unless it gets much, much worse. It's also apparently a much more coarse and heavy form of ash compared to last time, so is expected to fall to ground fairly quickly.

Sat imagery here for anyone who wants to view/follow the ash cloud progress -
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_IR.html

Back
Top Bottom