Grimsvotn volcano erupts in Iceland

[TW]Fox;19199683 said:
A space shuttle is not going through re-entry at 30,000 feet...

Re-entry is surely.. re-entry to the atmosphere. Once you've entered the atmosphere completely, you've re-entered and therefore the tiles are no longer deflecting the massive heat associated with re-entry.

Any ash cloud would be within the atmosphere, not above it?

That's just simply not correct. At 40km up the shuttle is still travelling at Mach 8 and the peak temperature on the tiles is over 1600C. You do not want them to be damaged or get damaged at any point.

That said i have no idea what altitude the ash clouds can reach, but that's besides the point :p

[TW]Fox;19200041 said:
I doubt there is any ash at 40km up!

I wouldn't be too sure about that, it gets damn high in big eruptions. Luckily this one is a tiddler so...

Either way if we had to worry about ash with a shuttle reentry then we're in trouble because it would be affecting the secondary runways in the south Atlantic and Indian Ocean as well...:p

I wouldn't be too sure about that, it gets damn high in big eruptions. Luckily this one is a tiddler so...

Either way if we had to worry about ash with a shuttle reentry then we're in trouble because it would be affecting the secondary runways in the south Atlantic and Indian Ocean as well...:p

Yeah, i did some googling and it turns out there was a Discovery landing during the last big one, but it wasn't a concern since it was all over Europe ;)

Here we go again, maybe:

A volcanic ash cloud from Iceland is expected to reach parts of the UK by the early hours of Tuesday morning, the Met Office has said.

It does not mean there will definitely be airspace closures but makes flight disruption more likely, it said.

Source

Are people getting confused with feet and meters?

40km is 98000feet, 3 times higher than a jumbo jets cruise altitude (also higher than the SR-71 ceiling).

KaHn

Is there anywhere actually updating the status of the volcano? Is it still erupting intensely or has it calmed a bit? Heading to Tenerife from Glasgow on Friday hopefully!

Usual media hype full of words like could, may, might not the most helpful

During last year's eruption UK airspace was shut down completely by the authorities as a precaution but this time airlines will make their own decisions about whether it is safe to fly.

Hmmm good or bad?

Last edited:
Flying to Tenerife tomorrow from Glasgow. Don't imagine there will be a problem then, but coming home in a week might be a different story!

Supposed to be flying out to Rhodes on wednesday from Glasgow. It's not looking too good if you study the 24 hour prediction on the NATS site - there will be a good coverage over Scotland and northern England tomorrow onwards, just hope these gales blow it elsewhere! We might be able to fly from an airport down south, not sure what the policy will be on that. Will just have to keep my fingers crossed and wait and see!

Back
Top Bottom