Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Review

Caporegime
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Review.

Today I will be looking at the Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 motherboard for the Intel Pentium, i3, i5 and i7 range of CPU’s based on the socket 1155 platform; it is based on the Intel Z68 chipset and features everything the P67 chipset has to offer but additionally it includes,

• SSD Caching (Smart Response Technology)
• Quick Sync
• Lucid Virtu

So let’s have a quick rundown on what these three features do,

SSD Caching.

This enables the use of a small sized SSD to cache and thus rapidly access commonly used files from a normal mechanical hard drive that already has an operating system/software installed and running from. The maximum size of SSD space you can use for this is 64GB so if you have larger than this you will have to partition the drive.

Quick Sync.

Intels range of Sandybridge CPU’s all feature an integrated graphics core, this can be used by supporting programs to accelerate the encoding times of converting media formats/exporting videos from a video editor.

Lucid Virtu.

This software allows the motherboard to switch between the integrated graphics core and a discrete graphics card, this is useful if you want power saving from not needing to use a discrete graphics card for more simple tasks or want to use the different features of the integrated graphics core as they may differ from a graphics card.

I have done some tests with various file types using different types of hardware acceleration, Lucid Virtu, Nvidia CUDA and no acceleration with a program that supports either type of acceleration. The results are below.
Mediaespresso.png

Product home page - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3910#ov

Motherboard Specifications.
Boardspecs.png

Packaging and Accessories.

The motherboard comes in a standard sized cardboard box.

boxfront.jpg

The rear features an image of the board and a rundown on some of the more interesting features of the board.

boxrear.jpg

Let’s open it up and see what’s included.

boxopen.jpg

Accessories included are,

User and installation booklets.
Driver and software CD.
2 X case badges.
4 X Black SATA cables, two with 90degree heads.
1X I/O shield plate.
1 X SLI bridge.

accesories2.jpg

accesories.jpg

Motherboard photos.

As you can see it’s all Black and Grey in appearance which does look very good when combined with other matching parts. Another thing I noticed when handling this board for the first time was just how heavy it is, it really does feel and look like a sturdy well built product.

board-1.jpg

The CPU socket area and the VRM heatsinks, under these heatsinks you can see the nickel finish on the ferrite chokes for the 16 phase power VRM. Having more phases creates a smoother more stable voltage and is meant to reduce temperatures by spreading the load.

cpusocketarea.jpg

cpusocket.jpg

The case switch and LED connectors are colour coded to make it easier to see where to connect the little headers. The only way to improve this would be with the quick connect blocks as used by MSI.

frontpanelconnectors-1.jpg

This is the internal USB3.0/2.0 and Trusted Platform Module header; above and to the right of this you can see the clear CMOS pins.

USB30internalheader.jpg

This board features an additional 3 X USB2.0 headers, the USB2.0 header with the Red background is for charging devices. Next to these is a serial port header.

internalUSB20.jpg

And lastly is an internal Fire wire, front audio header and a digital audio interconnect.

internalaudioandfirewireconnector.jpg

Next are the PCI-E and PCI slots,

1X PCI Express x16 slot
2 X PCI Express x1 slots
1 X PCI Express X16 slot that runs at a maximum of x8, this shares bandwidth with the top x16 PCI Express slot, so when this x8 slot is filled with a second graphics card in SLI/Crossfire mode, then the top x16 slot runs at x8 also, so both graphic cards get an equal 8X/8X bandwidth, many of the cheaper boards don’t do this and can only manage a 16X/4X bandwidth.
2 X PCI slots

PCIslots.jpg

Here we have the rear panel connectors, Left to Right we have,

2XUSB2.0 and a PS/2, Digital and Coaxial audio outputs, Fire wire, single USB2.0 and a eSATA/USB2.0 combo, 2XUSB2.0 and eSATA 6Gb/s, 2XUSB3.0 and a HDMI port(with a plastic protector), Ethernet and 2XUSB2.0, finally we have the six 3.5mm audio jacks for the motherboards 7.1 channel audio chip (Center, Subwoofer out, Rear speaker out, Side speaker out, Line in, Line out, Microphone).

rearpanelconnectors.jpg

Now the only fault I can find here is the lack of DVI and D-SUB ports as found on other Z68 motherboards, the fact there is also no adapter supplied encase you only have a DVI etc on the monitor is slightly disappointing.

Now for the internal SATA ports, Left to Right,

4XSATA 3Gb/s, 2XSATA 6Gb/s from the Intel controller and 2XSATA 6Gb/s from the Marvell controller.

sataports.jpg

Finally here are the two BIOS chips that make up the DualBIOS feature, one is a backup that cannot be flashed, so if you experience a power failure or other issue during a BIOS flash then the second chip will take over at restart and will restore the data in the failed chip, this can be a life saver and I have used this feature before with great effect on a old Socket A Gigabyte board that while during a BIOS flash experienced a problem, it was a quick and painless recovery as I remember it.

A great feature that all motherboards from all manufacturers should have as standard in my opinion.

dualbioschips.png

RAM and aftermarket heatsink fitment.

I feel the RAM slots are a bit too close to the socket on this board when compared to a Asrock Z68 Extreme4, I could not mount my Titan Fenrir like I can with the Asrock with it blowing from south to north. Below you will see the only way I could mount this heatsink without blocking the second slot from the socket, if I fitted it with the fan blowing east to west then the fan blocked both slots, if I mounted it with the fan blowing south to north then both slots were also blocked, with it mounted as below only the slot closest to the socket was obstructed by the Fenrir mounting mechanism. Another 5mm or so and I could have mounted the Fenrir blowing south to north and still got a RAM stick in the second slot.

IMG_0767.jpg
IMG_0769.jpg
IMG_0771.jpg

BIOS and Touch BIOS.

This motherboard doesn’t feature a UEFI style click BIOS that all the other manufacturers have employed, instead it uses the familiar AWARD BIOS that many people should be familiar with, even though it doesn’t feature the new style interface of a UEFI, this BIOS isn’t missing anything and all the frequency and voltage control and tweaking you could want are all present and correct.

Here is a quick look at some of the more interesting BIOS pages with default frequency and voltage settings.

Untitled12.png
Untitled2.png
Untitled32.png
Untitled9.png
Untitled8.png
Untitled5.png

Fortunately Gigabyte have also included a piece of software called Touch BIOS, this is a windows based utility that offers all the same control of the normal BIOS but with a fancy user interface control.

11.jpg
111.jpg
1111.jpg
22.jpg
2222.jpg
21.jpg

Included software and utilities.

Norton Internet security.
Trend micro PC-Chillin.
Kaspersky Internet Security 2011
Acrobat Reader.
AIWI Game 64bit (this allows you to use an iphone/ipod touch as a wireless keyboard/touchpad)
WinZip

TouchBIOS
3TB+ Unlock
Dynamic Energy Saver™ 2
Smart 6™
Auto Green

EasyTune6
Face-Wizard (customise the boot-up screen)
Cloud OC (web based overclock)
Q-Share
On/Off Charge

I will just give a quick explanation of EasyTune6, This is a Windows based overclocking utility that allows you full control of frequencies, CPU ratios and voltages, you can even overclock a discrete graphics card or the Sandybridge built in graphics core. There is smart fan control that allows you to easily control the CPU fan profile so it can ramp up as temps increase as you want it to. There is also a set of three “Quick Boost” overclock options so if your lazy or too scared to scared to fiddle with any of the BIOS settings manually, then you can pick from one of three predetermined settings.

easytune.png
easytune2.png
easytune3.png
easytune4.png

I have tried the “Quick Boost” option and while the first two speeds were perfectly stable under Prime95 and Intel Burntest, the last speed wasn’t, with Burntest reporting the system to be unstable and Prime95 stopping the workers in one or more threads. When the system did crash and restart from being unstable it recovered perfectly and restored the last known good settings, this is impeccable behaviour and saves havingto use the CLR_CMOS jumper and I was very impressed by this. So some kudos points to Gigabyte.

Overclocking.

Instead of using one of the easy options in the Easytune6 software to overclock my CPU, I did it manually by entering the BIOS at start-up and doing nothing more than setting the CPU ratio to 45X and upping the Vcore a bit, this proved to be perfectly stable with Prime95 and Burntest. Being a bit braver with my own personal CPU I decided to go just that bit higher, 4.7GHz and then 4.8GHz was all I was prepared to do and this required more Vcore again and a touch more PLL voltage. I also manually set the DRAM voltage and timings to what is written on the memory sticks instead of letting the board decide what was best for them. Again it passed Burntest multiple times and Prime95 for as long as I could be bothered to wait for.

overclock45ghz.png
overclock47ghz.png
overclock48ghz.png

Another thing to note is the motherboards Serial VID works perfectly, by just altering the clock ratio and re-entering the BIOS, the Vcore is automatically adjusted to suit, so at stock 33X its 1.245V, but by setting the CPU ratio to 45X and then saving and exiting the BIOS, going back in shows the Vcore to now be 1.340V.

Untitled7.png
Untitled8.png

Comparison vs Asrock Z68 extreme4 at stock speeds.

I manually set the CPU at 3.3 GHz and disabled Turboboost for these test on both platforms, with the RAM at 1333mhz and 9-9-9-27 timings. The rest of the test equipment is,

• 2 X 2GB Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz RAM.
• Intel i5 2500K.
• Palit GTX570 at stock speeds.
• Crucial C300 64GB SSD.
• Titan Fenrir V2 heatsink.
• Antec new truepower 650W PSU.
• Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.
• Nvidia 280.26

Both motherboards have the latest BIOS from the manufacturer website and the latest drivers were also used from the actual chipset manufacturer websites.

All test were repeated three times and then the median score used, any decimal places on the AIDA64 tests were just wiped off.

Cinebench.png

3dmark06.png

AIDA64.png

ASSSD.png

pistock.png

Stock vs 4.5 GHz comparison.

These results are of the Gigabyte board with the CPU at stock speeds and at 4.5Ghz just by altering the CPU multiplier to 45X, the RAM speed and timings are the same as stock.

CinebenchstockvsOC.png

AIDA64stockvsOC.png

3DMark11stockvsOC.png

3DMark06stockvsOC.png

pistockvs45ghz.png

Summary.

What a good board this is, apart from the fantastic restart and recovery when overclocking became unstable, actually getting to the 4.5GHz that everyone seems to want as standard from these “K” chips was extremely easy and trust me, I’m no overclocking expert, I am sure with more knowledge or daring then getting up to 5GHz won’t be an issue. While the main BIOS screen won’t win any prizes for style compared to a UEFI, the BIOS does everything you could want and more. The build quality is very nice and as mentioned in the review the sheer weight of this board compared to handling my Asrock Z68 Extreme4 really is noticeable (perhaps that’s helped by the 2oz of cooper used in the PCB?) and the colour choices used in the design of this goes well with anything.

Feature wise it’s all there (apart from the lack of DVI and D-SUB display outputs) with a large number of internal and external USB2.0 ports, a great onboard sound chip with Blu-Ray audio decoding as standard, it does symmetrical (8X/8X) SLI/Crossfire so you get the best experience over motherboards that do this asymmetrically at an uneven 16X/4X and with the latest BIOS from Gigabyte it has Intel Ivybridge support ready and waiting.

The 3 year warranty also shows the faith Gigabyte have put into their product and not having to send an item to say the Netherlands or some other random part of the world which can cost a lot of money in shipping costs is also a big plus point. The service and repair centre for Gigabyte is in the UK.

Pros.

Well built and looks good.
High quality components used.
16 Phase VRM for the CPU.
Dual BIOS.
Good performance at stock.
Easy overclocking.
Perfect BIOS recovery to the last good working settings.
3 year warranty.
UK based service and repair centre.

Cons.

RAM slots too close to the socket for my large heatsink.
No DVI and D-SUB connector for the onboard display outputs or an adapter to convert the HDMI connector.
No UEFI

Last edited:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
excellent review
makes for some very interesting reading.

also looks to be performing marginally better than the Asrock.
what are your personal thoughts on the board compared to the Asrock Stulid?

Caporegime
OP
what are your personal thoughts on the board compared to the Asrock Stulid?

Apart from the cons that I have described the actual board is extremely solid, overclocking using the BIOS is so simple with this board. The way it recovers from being pushed to far is brilliant, with the Asrock when you go to far it usually needs a Clear CMOS to get it back to be able to boot up. The physical weight difference is very noticeable between the two, with the Asrock feeling a lot lighter and cheaper.

The Asrock does have some advantages,

Tri-crossfire support.
USB3.0 front panel device.
Cheaper.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Hi Stulid, nice review,

I currently have the GA-P67A-UD4-B3

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3759#ov

Can you tell me how the you have reviewed is different to the one I have apart from on board GPU. I am rather happy with the motherboard I have atm but am already thinking of an upgrade but that wont be until I have brought another 6950 for this board.

From a quick glance I can see that this Z68 board has two more SATA6Gb/s internal connectors and a Fire wire at the rear.

More CPU power phases for a better OC, 12 vs 16.

Soldato
Good review, though surprising you bought a Gigabyte board(If you did buy it) Considering you had been bad mouthing them for a while because of how they originally handled the Z68 launch.

What was the reason you switched?

Caporegime
OP
Good review, though surprising you bought a Gigabyte board(If you did buy it) Considering you had been bad mouthing them for a while because of how they originally handled the Z68 launch.

What was the reason you switched?

I switched because its always good to try new stuff out (I still got the Asrock here, may sell it) This Gigabyte board isnt like the ones I hated, it does have the other Z68 chipset features that they were missing.

Soldato
Good review! I know that easytune6 auto overclocking on the last one is unstable, same as my board too. Gigabyte easytune6 auto-OC is pretty pointless to be honest as they use more bus speed up to 104MHz is crazy indeed.

Associate
Nice work stulid, makes me glad I waited a couple of weeks for my GA-Z68X-UD3H when the Asrock was in stock.

I bought it (mainly) for the cool black/grey look, but the most impressive thing is the weight - it feels really solid, and doesn't "creak" when inserting/removing RAM or PCI cards. I doubt my CM Hyper 212+ would work north/south either, but it runs east/west with push/pull fans (covering the closest slot, not a problem with just 2 RAM sticks).

The UD3H solves your 'weakness' by having D-Sub(VGA)+DVI+HDMI+DisplayPort, covering all bases (don't mention SCART!), the main reason (after looks) I waited for this model, as I didn't want to limit connectivity or my choice of monitor when I upgrade to 1080p.

However, its own main weakness (IMHO) is the poor VRM - only 7 phases (4+2+1) - which lets down the overall quality of the board, and puts off serious overclockers. (Having said that, I've had no stability issues in reaching 4.7GHz @ 1.295V :cool: - and this wouldn't be an issue for non-K CPUs anyway.) But 10 or 12 phases would have been nice. :(

PS Looking at those BIOS screenshots, are you using a fish-eye lens, or do you still have a CRT? :eek:

Caporegime
OP
PS Looking at those BIOS screenshots, are you using a fish-eye lens, or do you still have a CRT? :eek:

It might be the Macro setting on the camera? will try better next time:) both screens I use are samsung flat panels:p, with the Asrock board you can put a thumb drive in to a USB port and just press a button to do a print screen of the BIOS.

When I remove this Gigabyte from this build I will actually weigh the pair of them and see what the difference is. I am sure its quite significant though.

Last edited:
Associate
Only kidding about the photos (but don't give up your day job). :)

I've seen some Gigabyte boards that are "Ultra Durable 3" but not black/grey - not sure if they're built as solidly as the UD3H/3P/4/5/7 too though. Just like Stella is "reassuringly expensive", these boards are "reassuringly dense".

Associate
I'm very pleased I read this review, I'm almost certain it's the board for me, the only thing currently holding me back is the BIOS, many have said UEFI over the current Gigabyte BIOS will give a better POST boot time, in reality how much of a difference does this make?

Back
Top Bottom