Vengeance K90 Gaming Keyboard quick look.

Caporegime
Corsair vengeance K90 gaming keyboard quick look.

Product homepage - http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-k90-performance-mmo-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

OCUK product page - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-002-CS&groupid=702&catid=23&subcat=1258

So here we have one a few new products from Corsair for them to make an entry in the gaming Peripheral keyboard and mouse market.

At the top is a Microsoft multimedia keyboard, under that is a Logitech G11 and finally the Corsair K90 to give an idea of size.

IMG_1143-2.jpg

The cabling is braided and there are two USB ports for power and signal.

IMG_1147.jpg

The main body of the keyboard is aluminium and is very cold to the touch, especially after all these years of using plastic body keyboards,

IMG_1149.jpg

The wrist rest is finished very nicely indeed and has a soft feel despite actually being solid.

IMG_1156.jpg

Only these keys outlined use mechanical switches, the rest are membrane switches.

Untitled.png

The switches used a Cherry Red switches, more about these here - http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html

CherryMXRedAnimated.gif

Type: Linear Switch
Link: Datasheet
Tactile: No
Clicky: No
Actuation Force: 45g (Force Diagram)
Key Travel: 2mm to actuation, 4mm to bottom
Cherry MX-Red's are another switch that can be considered a "gaming" switch. It's essentially a lighter version of the MX Black, requiring less force to actuate. Some people do not find this switch that good for typing or gaming because it is so light, but others rave for this fact. Light or Stiff is always a matter of preference. This switch was hard to find; and was reported as EOL, but it is still in limited production with a higher than average MOQ leading to higher cost to board makers. Marketed with high demand, boards with this switch are becoming more common, but are generally more expensive as well.

There are some media keys including rolling volume control,

IMG_1151.jpg

A backlight and windows keylock button,

IMG_1154.jpg

There are macro recording keys and three macro bank keys at the other side of the keyboard allowing up to 54 different macros,

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

The keys are very proud of the keyboard body

IMG_1157.jpg

Here is the backlighting compared to a Logitech G11 in a dark room,

IMG_1163.jpg

I have never used a high end keyboard before and so comparisons against other gaming keyboards are impossible for me, but compared to the £40 Logitech G11 I have been using for the past 1 year, it’s like night and day and the typing feel, response and even the sound each key makes is night and day.

Soldato
Nice review there Stulid! :)

I always wrote the K60/90 off straight away, but I like the red switches to type on, they've got a real nice feel. I might just think about one of these as the next upgrade :)

Caporegime
OP
can we have a little more feedback on how the switches feel please? im very tempted :D

Well thats the problem, I got no point of reference, only a crummy old Microsoft £15 thing and a Logitech G11 that isn't that great, its certainly not as nice as the keyboard before it ~ a X6 sidewinder.

But my typing here now feels mad, very precise and I can now see why everyone raves about mechanical switch keyboards etc.

Soldato
It's not your thing!? Have you saw my Razer mouse review in the Razer £250 comp!

"Now that's what I call... Pure ****" :D

Still though, cost is quite abit, but really starting to like it, a lot!

Soldato
Thanks for the mini review, I've wanted to get this from the ocuk store but it is NEVER in stock!

I was hoping the wrist rest would be leather but if it feels soft anyway that should be ok :)

Caporegime
OP
It's not your thing!? Have you saw my Razer mouse review in the Razer £250 comp!

"Now that's what I call... Pure ****" :D

Still though, cost is quite abit, but really starting to like it, a lot!

I was going to do something like,
K90 Gaming Keyboard review,

**pic of the keyboard**

**pic in the dark**

I push a key down and an item appears on screen.

CONCLUSION,

It works.

Associate
Nice-looking keyboard - backlight looks ace - and nice review stulid.
Thanks for the mechanical keyboard guide link too, never knew about these different switches before!

Associate
Thanks for the review

Im trying to decide between one of these and a Das Keyboard not sure if id use the Macro buttons on this one hrm

Back
Top Bottom