*** Official Highly Anticipated Mods (HAM) thread ***

Soldato
I've been going through my games collection today and found out that most of the new games do not interest me in the least.

I always experience this gaming cycle throughout the year where I start to get bored with whatever games I have bought recently or don't even bother trying them out for some bizarre reason (even though I only buy games that I have at least a mediocre drive to play through at some point).

To cut it short, I ended up going back to my "old" classics such as M&B: Warband (a number of multi and single-player mods), M2: Total War (SS, TATW), STALKER Call of Pripyat (Complete mod), Crysis (texture packs, MHLL), Minecraft (a whole lot of things), Skyrim (10GB of mods, not an old game though), etc., games that I've always loved for their flexibility - fuelled by the modding scene.

I'd like to know if any of you guys play games with mods, whether it's more modern games to add some depth or fix issues with them, or old time classics that you can't stop playing but don't want to get bored with the same thing all over again. Tell me what you play and, more importantly, what are we all waiting for in the near and not-so-near future.

To get things going, here are a few mods that I'm eagerly waiting for and that you might be interested in:

Europa Barbarorum II - total conversion of the vanilla game taking us back to ancient times, continuation of the mod for RTW; probably one of the most popular Total War mods that has been in works for so many years.

Historical accuracy of this mod is staggering and beats everything we've seen to date.

Black Mesa - a Half Life 1 remake on the Source engine. I doubt it will ever see the day light but we can hope!

MERP - Middle-Earth Roleplaying Project - a total Oblivion conversion placed in Middle-Earth. This is under development for Skyrim now!

And a little something that I found today browsing ModDB. Should please all Jurrasic Park fans. :)

Return to Jurassic Park Crysis Mod

STALKER: Lost Alpha - and original STALKER remake trying to bring back the atmosphere of the pre-release game. Certainly one to look forward to!

So here we go, let's get an official Highly Anticipated Mods started!

Last edited:
Soldato
It's such as shame about Black Mesa I don't know why they have black out concerning release dates, progression, problems etc it's very frustrating as I was looking forward to playing this mod years ago but I doubt I'll ever get that opportunity.

Soldato
It's such as shame about Black Mesa I don't know why they have black out concerning release dates, progression, problems etc

It's because they have in the past promised that it WILL be released by a specific date (end of year 2009, then again 2010). Saying a date triggers a frenzy on their forums.

Associate
I still play Empire Total War with the AUM mod, which allows unique units and factions.

Fallout : New Vegas with 12GB of mods, mostly armour and weapons expansion packs.

Thirdwire's Strike Fighter 2 series with additional aircraft, such as Tornado, Jaguar, TMk1A Hawk, Vulcan bomber and the recently released Nimrod (google combatace forums).

Armed assault 2 with AceX mods and numerous additional units for a wide variety of gameplay.

Star Wars Empire At War & Force of Corruption : 3 mods worth using are Pheonix Rising; Thrawn's Revenge and Zero's 900mb unit modpack. Beware, each mod is a total conversion and are not compatible with each other.

Supreme Commander Forged Alliance with Total Veterancy mod - look after your units and they gain better range, shield, hit points, etc from increased veterancy. Levels of veterancy are unlimited, but can be configured to a max cap to avoid overkill. Buildings gain levels too. There is another mod which opens up additional upgrade options for the Commander and his support commander units.

Soldato
OP
I still play Empire Total War with the AUM mod, which allows unique units and factions.

Fallout : New Vegas with 12GB of mods, mostly armour and weapons expansion packs.

Thirdwire's Strike Fighter 2 series with additional aircraft, such as Tornado, Jaguar, TMk1A Hawk, Vulcan bomber and the recently released Nimrod (google combatace forums).

Armed assault 2 with AceX mods and numerous additional units for a wide variety of gameplay.

Star Wars Empire At War & Force of Corruption : 3 mods worth using are Pheonix Rising; Thrawn's Revenge and Zero's 900mb unit modpack. Beware, each mod is a total conversion and are not compatible with each other.

Supreme Commander Forged Alliance with Total Veterancy mod - look after your units and they gain better range, shield, hit points, etc from increased veterancy. Levels of veterancy are unlimited, but can be configured to a max cap to avoid overkill. Buildings gain levels too. There is another mod which opens up additional upgrade options for the Commander and his support commander units.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming guys!

I'll add new posts in this thread describing some of the mods you mention but I'd be glad if more people contributed to this thread so we can grow it in a database of successful mods.

good to see they are still working on EB 2. excellent idea for a thread :)

Thanks, I thought it was a shame that we didn't have any mod specific thread going yet so it was time to fix it. :)

There will be two more posts from me to come today, one describing some of the more popular mods out there that can interest people who haven't tried modding yet and the other with M&B Warband mods since that is one of the games with huge modding community.

Soldato
can i ask as i have been out of the EB loop since EB 0.8. is there a build being released soon? i cant work it out from the chatter on the forums as well as a subjective use of the word "soon" :)

Soldato
OP
can i ask as i have been out of the EB loop since EB 0.8. is there a build being released soon? i cant work it out from the chatter on the forums as well as a subjective use of the word "soon" :)

Are we talking about Europa Barbarorum (I) for RTW?

Yep I'm also still waiting for Project Black Mesa. It's not dead is it? Surely they'd want to finish it after putting so much work in?

I think the project is being dragged out by many different factors. It's doubtful that people think it will come out before HL3...

Soldato
IL2:1946 is hardly imaginable without mods nowadays. I have 8Gb of mods installed (Ultrapack3 and Deep Bleu World).

Unfortunately even another 20gb of mods will not make me play it again - there are simply better games in that genre now, but still... The original IL2 was released in 2001 and to have lasted all this time (many play it still) is certainly due to mods at aleast in some part.

Associate
Silent Hunter series have brilliant mods, I still play SH3 with the Gray wolf mod. This redesigns the game to be as historically and realistic as possible, especially with the large Atlantic convoys.

Soldato
Silent Hunter series have brilliant mods, I still play SH3 with the Gray wolf mod. This redesigns the game to be as historically and realistic as possible, especially with the large Atlantic convoys.

Yep, mods are absolutely crucial for SH games. SH5 is just as dependent on them as SH3.

Another game that was really helped on by mods was Max Payne 2- there were mods of new gameplay modes, new levels, missions, characters, weapons, even a full campaign.

Back
Top Bottom