CCNA Hardware lab or NETSIM?.

Associate
Ok so Ive realised that I need to shift my backside a bit with my MCITP:EA and I also need to get a start in some sort of IT post sooner rather then later.

So the plan is to finish the Win 7 70-680 by the end of the month middle of next at the latest. Then I think I'll sort out a CCNA and that will mean that along with previous experiance I can start realistically chasing deployment contracts or IT support positions in the area. Then I can finish off the MCITP:EA asap after that.

So I have all the gear for the MS exams as per my other threads.

I need to plan ahead a little and sort out some hardware/software to go with the books I've bought for CCNA -

CCNA 640-802 Official Cert Library - Wendell Odom

CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Deluxe Study Guide: (Includes 2 CD-ROMs) - Todd Lammle

CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Review Guide: Exam 640-802 Includes CD - Todd Lammle

So do I bite it and get the Boson Netsim 8 software sim or should I get some cisco kit to practice on?

If the latter I'm thinking of

INTRO CCNP LAB (3 Routers + 2 Switches)

Cisco 2610XM FAST Ethernet Routers SDM ROUTER IOS 12.4 Adv Sec + NM 4A/S

Cisco 2620 DUAL FAST Ethernet Routers 64Mb Dram / 16mb flash IOS 12.4 Adv Security

Cisco 2620 FAST Ethernet Routers 64Mb Dram / 16mb flash IOS 12.4 Adv Security

2 x WIC-1T for the 2600 routers (100% Genuine Cisco)

(1 x NM-4A/S comes with 2600XM 100% Genuine Cisco)

A Cisco 2924-XL-EN a Cost effective Switch with an Enhanced IOS

A Cisco ws2950-24 Port and Modern Switch (with Enhanced Cisco IOS)

Cables & Other Stuff to go with the Lab.

2 x Back to Back DCE/DTE Serial Crossover Cable,

3x Cat 5e Straight through Crossover Cables,

5 x UK power cables (uk/ireland),

3x Cat 5e Crossover Cables,

1 x Console Cable,

I can get it for around £220 delivered.

But Im just wondering If I can do more with the Boson Netsim as it works out round the £200 to £220 mark depending on what offer if any is available at the time of purchase?

There's nothing in it price wise as you can see.

As ever thanks for the feedback :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm going through this with Cisco Packet Tracer (colleague had a licence for it) which works fine and you can see the packets move up and down which is good though the flexability in what you can use isn't the best (i.e. limited hardware).

If you have access to IOS images then you can use GNS3 - I've never been able to get it to work but I haven't really invested any time in it.

M.

Associate
OP
I have GNS 3 and the required IOS's.

You guys reckon thats as good as having the real kit in fornt of you or even better as you can use all of the Cisco gear in a sim? Not to mention its significantly cheaper.

Associate
I would go with packet tracer, its all you need for thc ccna.

Gns3 is good, but i have found its always heavy on system resource, so only can run simple stuff.

I know its food to have the hardware, but for what the ccna covers i dont feel its needed, yet no doubt people will state that hands on is best, but ccna is just learning the basics of the ios system which can be done better with sims.

1 thing thou, even thou not covered in ccna, i would recomend buying a pix515e with ver 8 + software, because in the real would you will come in contact with asa's. And learning who asdm works and firewalls work is a good idea

Soldato
GNS3 can easily run complex setups - it sounds like you haven't optimised it. The only problem is that you have to bodge switches using something like a 3640 image as GNS3 can't pretend to be ASICs.

My opinion on what to use is a bit difficult... when I did mine I bought some cheap 2500 routers and 2900 switches from the bay (although now it is considerably more fleshed out) and it was a very good idea because at the time I didn't have daily contact with the equipment. Now I do and it hardly ever got used through my CCNP, mostly GNS3 and work experience.

I would say use GNS3 where you can and fall back to PT if you have problems simulating the switches (although as I said above you can do this with a 3640 now).

- GP

Associate
OP
Got Packet tracer as well. So I think Ill go with the simulated networks and I'll play with the different packages and see whats best for me. Packet tracer seems the simplest to use so far :D

I thinkthe £220 saved will go towards another Dell 2410 and a second GTX 580 so I can run 3 screens. Server on one, PC on the other and Virtual PC/Server on third or network sim and docs etc. You get the idea.

More screens becomes very useful when you have multiple virtual machines and servers all linked and Remoted accesed :D I find just the 2 screens makes a huge diference to my work flow when studying as its easier to keep track of stuff when your not alt tabbing through screens. 3 will be nirvana......

The fact that I will then be able to Run BF3 etc on ultra wide mode has absolutly no influence on this decision ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Ive been playing around with packet tracer a lot more this week and its really helped me understand routing and routing protocols wheres as before, just reading when in one ear and out of the other.

I finish my CCENT course Wednesday week. Hopefully i'll be able to sit the ICND1 exam come August.

Associate
AUGUST! cram for 1 week and get sub netting dialled and you'll be fine.

Not as easy as that mate. I work full time in a non computer related field and come home to a nagging wife and two kids. Hard to get the "cram" time.:D

Everything has gone to plan so far so August should be the right time for me. Im not too bad with subnetting, a little brush up should see me through that. Just need to understand config scenarios a little better, sometimes the way they word the question can throw you.

Associate
OP
I so know what you mean :D Im trying to run a part-time driving instruction business, help my partner through Chemo and Surgery then I get to cook, clean and sort 2 cats Oh and then I can find 2 mins for me to study :D

Maybe that should be sort 2 cats then everything else......

Im coming to the conclusion that I should just stop the instruction sort my partner out and get qualified asap and get a real job. I spend far to much time for not very much cash on the instruction.

It was fine when I really needed the car but I have the option of a new Focus Titanium so Im starting to think just focus (pardon the pun) on Lynda and the studies. Oh and ofc the 2 cats :D

Associate
It definitely isn't easy and by the sounds of it you have a lot more on your plate to deal with. Personally, id drop kick the cats Johnny wilko style over the nearest fence :D

If you can deal with all your dealing with at the moment then a little more added stress of studies shouldn't affect you too much ;)

I mentioned to another member on here who seems to be getting on to it well but check out linkedin if your not already a member. Ive been on it for about a year now and there are some great groups on it which can help you with your studies. Cisco Academy's, Server groups, Windows 7 etc etc.

Good place to ask questions with good responses.

Associate
OP
You leave my Cat's alone..... They have razor Claws......

Good plan I'll go take a look :D

Ok got the basic LinkedIn membership. Ill fill the rest in at a later date lol.

Last edited:
Associate
You leave my Cat's alone..... They have razor Claws......

Good plan I'll go take a look :D

Have to laugh. By the time i reply to this thread you have replied in your other and vice versa. :D

Must go here, just going through the steps of setting up Hyper V on my server to allow me to run Windows 7 enterprise on a VM for the 680.

Soldato
Do any of you guys have any problems with Packet Tracer on Windows 7? I've always experienced random crashes which can be annoying when you've set up and configured a network but not yet saved it :mad:

Like others in this thread, I'd recommend Packet Tracer over NetSim. GNS3 is very good as an emulator but tricky to configure properly.

I bought a 2610XM and a couple of switches with a view to running them as part of my home LAN but the fans are too noisy so I gave up on that idea :p They make excellent door stops!

Associate
Do any of you guys have any problems with Packet Tracer on Windows 7? I've always experienced random crashes which can be annoying when you've set up and configured a network but not yet saved it :mad:

Cant say that i have had any issues mate. What version of packet tracer are you running and where did you download it. Im running 5.3.3 compatible with Windows. Only reason i mention this is because i see you can get versions for Ubuntu and Linux which i assume could cause problems if installed on the wrong OS.

You could always try using an earlier version to see how you get on?

Associate
@ Dashik. I was just on my Cisco acadamy student website checking the version of packet tracer for agw_01 and i see there is a supplement zip file of CCNA activities/assessments.

Would you like me to email it to you? (936KB)

Back
Top Bottom