Windows 8 Pro BSOD help!

Associate
Hi all,

Just finished building this PC this afternoon:

588983653129371762662388.jpg

Fresh installed Windows 8 Pro x64 onto an Agility 3 120GB SSD which previously had windows 8 on it and was running fine. The PC was absolutely fine for an hour then in quick succession I had 3 errors! All were WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR to do with Hal.dll.

I had WhoCrashed up to copy out the stop code but it keeps blue screening when I boot, so now posting from the iPad.

Any ideas? Appreciate it.

Also, this was a fresh install of Windows 8 using their tool to produce bootable USB...but when I launch IE10 my homepage is MYStart Incredibar....that's definitely malware! How is that possible on a fresh, formatted install?

In safe mode running malware bytes and windows defender as we speak.

Lets start with the RAM I dont see them listed in the Image do you have a link to the OCUK site of the RAM you have?

Does the PC enter the BIOS?
Do you only crash once in Windows?
Have you setup the RAM timing and Voltage setting in the BIOS? theses will be found on the package or the side of the RAM.
I see you running an SSD did you format the drive before installing Windows? Is there any firmware updates?
And is there any BIOS update for your motherboard?

Just re-installed Windows....

Where did you download the Win8 ISO file from?
And what other software have you installed?

http://www.im-infected.com/hijacker/mystart-by-incredibar-mystart-incredibar-com.html

The ISO was the one linked in the confirmation e-mail from Microsoft when I first bought Windows 8. You can download it, then either save the ISO or create media - I created a USB.

Windows Defender was turned on, the only things I installed before putting Malwarebytes on was CPU-Z, GPU-Z, HWMonitor & Unigine Heaven.

Lets start with the RAM I dont see them listed in the Image do you have a link to the OCUK site of the RAM you have?

Does the PC enter the BIOS?
Do you only crash once in Windows?
Have you setup the RAM timing and Voltage setting in the BIOS? theses will be found on the package or the side of the RAM.
I see you running an SSD did you format the drive before installing Windows? Is there any firmware updates?
And is there any BIOS update for your motherboard?

I have 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis. I put all 16GB through 30+ hours of MemTest last year because I was having troubles with Windows 7 Home Premium - upgraded to Windows 8 Pro resolved those issues. The only BIOS change (not overclocked the i5 yet) was to go in and change the RAM from 1333mhz to 1600mhz as that is what they are rated at.

2 crashes were inside Windows (loading up Nazi Zombies then browsing), then I was hitting them on boot. Windows login screen would load, then BSOD.

Formatted the SSD via the Windows 8 installer before installing, yes.

I'm on the F10 BIOS, which seems is quite out of date (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4144#bios) worth upgrading?

I think now that I've re-installed Windows 8, I'll update the BIOS and see how we get on..

Last edited:
Just re-installed Windows....

The ISO was the one linked in the confirmation e-mail from Microsoft when I first bought Windows 8. You can download it, then either save the ISO or create media - I created a USB.

Windows Defender was turned on, the only things I installed before putting Malwarebytes on was CPU-Z, GPU-Z, HWMonitor & Unigine Heaven.

I have 16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis. I put all 16GB through 30+ hours of MemTest last year because I was having troubles with Windows 7 Home Premium - upgraded to Windows 8 Pro resolved those issues. The only BIOS change (not overclocked the i5 yet) was to go in and change the RAM from 1333mhz to 1600mhz as that is what they are rated at.

Formatted the SSD via the Windows 8 installer before installing, yes.

2 crashes were inside Windows (loading up Nazi Zombies then browsing), then I was hitting them on first booth. Windows login screen would load, then BSOD.

Ok I own the same RAM. Go back into the BIOS and see if you have an XMP option if so select it and check the Timing are 9-9-9-27 2N if not set them manually.
Next the Voltage XMP or BIOS wont set this up correct so you need to do it yourself (Test Voltage: 1.50-1.65V) set this to 1.575 for 1600mhz is what I run

Default you could be running 1.65 witch is not good LGA1155 cpus.

This your RAM?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-112-KS

DONT Update BIOS IN WINDOWS!

Download and flash inside the BIOS Windows is known to Brick motherboard when updating BIOS through them.

If you going to Update Bios go with F16 has F17 is a beta BIOS so that alone might have beta issue witch you dont need right now.

Last edited:
I`m always a bit careful as to what sites I d/load software from. So it may be that one of these ,CPU-Z, GPU-Z, HWMonitor & Unigine Heaven contained MYStart Incredibar.
I have the same ISO I used to install Win8, but have not installed any other software and so don`t have MYStart Incredibar on my PC.

I`m always a bit careful as to what sites I d/load software from. So it may be that one of these ,CPU-Z, GPU-Z, HWMonitor & Unigine Heaven contained MYStart Incredibar.
I have the same ISO I used to install Win8, but have not installed any other software and so don`t have MYStart Incredibar on my PC.

What makes you think he has this? The BSOD error is Hardware related not software.

MYStart Incredibar is Ad aware all it does is changes your browser settings, it in no way makes your PC bsod. The worst it does is slow your browser down or spy on you OP isn't having this issue.

Last edited:
DONT Update BIOS IN WINDOWS!

Download and flash inside the BIOS Windows is known to Brick motherboard when updating BIOS through them.

If you going to Update Bios go with F16 has F17 is a beta BIOS so that alone might have beta issue witch you dont need right now.

I used the Gigabyte utility to update to F16, it went through fine (confirmed in the BIOS).

It must have been something I downloaded as soon as I booted into the fresh install...I would have thought Win Defender picked it up!

I have the HyperX Genesis Grey. not the Blue unfortunately. I will go back into BIOS and check the DRAM settings, I chose the XMP profile which put it @ 1600MHZ and that was it.

So far so good on this fresh install...time to try gaming ... again. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the help so far.

I used the Gigabyte utility to update to F16, it went through fine (confirmed in the BIOS).

You got lucky :D

I have the HyperX Genesis Grey. not the Blue unfortunately. I will go back into BIOS and check the DRAM settings, I chose the XMP profile which put it @ 1600MHZ and that was it.

Timing are still the same for both, Just check the voltage in the BIOS isn't 1.65v and if it is change to 1.575v

So far so good on this fresh install...time to try gaming ... again. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the help so far.

Post back if you get issue again you can also download a great program called Blue screen view its great at trouble shooting BSOD errors

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

What makes you think he has this? The BSOD error is Hardware related not software.

MYStart Incredibar is Ad aware all it does is changes your browser settings, it in no way makes your PC bsod. The worst it does is slow your browser down or spy on you OP isn't having this issue.

:(

Also, this was a fresh install of Windows 8 using their tool to produce bootable USB...but when I launch IE10 my homepage is MYStart Incredibar....that's definitely malware! How is that possible on a fresh, formatted install?

In safe mode running malware bytes and windows defender as we speak.

You want to read the thread properly. My post was in reference to the OP`s second post. I made no mention of it being related to BSOD but to how MYStart Incredibar may have gotten on his system. :p

:(

You want to read the thread properly. My post was in reference to the OP`s second post. I made no mention of it being related to BSOD but to how MYStart Incredibar may have gotten on his system. :p

Ok I did miss that post :( But still MYStart Incredibar will not give a bsod error. its just a nasty browser hijack.

No, I knew that little bit of malware didn't cause the BSOD's but I thought it was odd how it got on there, so thought I'd let you guys know!

System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

windows version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 17138016256 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1909952512

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 06/02/2013 22:33:19 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\020613-7203-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x2D93D)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800D367028, 0xFE200000, 0x21136)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Last edited:
**** sake! Hitting it again.

Managed to play Blops2 for a bit and run all of the 3D Mark11 tests without issue...was browsing OCUK forums and BSOD.

Now whenever it restarts I just get past loading screen and it happens again...rebooted then immediately bsodded, but now I'm back in. Details to follow.

Ok I own the same RAM. Go back into the BIOS and see if you have an XMP option if so select it and check the Timing are 9-9-9-27 2N if not set them manually.
Next the Voltage XMP or BIOS wont set this up correct so you need to do it yourself (Test Voltage: 1.50-1.65V) set this to 1.575 for 1600mhz is what I run

Default you could be running 1.65 witch is not good LGA1155 cpus.

This your RAM?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-112-KS

The RAM is running at 1.50v. Going to run MDSCHED and see if it passes...it's done 30 hours of memtest86 not too long ago, I doubt it's the RAM to be honest!

The RAM is running at 1.50v. Going to run MDSCHED and see if it passes...it's done 30 hours of memtest86 not too long ago, I doubt it's the RAM to be honest!

For 1600mhz you need 1.575 remember you overclocking the RAM once you set 1600mhz just like overclocking anything you need to add voltage.

Test with 1.575

Back
Top Bottom