Mark's art for Shelter page

Soldato
***£815.00 raised of £500.00 target*** - Target Hit & surpassed!

163%

Guys/Gals,

I've been knocking out a load of ink/drawing creations recently & the last few have sparked a few requests from friends/family to do a few requests.

As I'm not keen on taking money for art (I'm too critical of my own work) I'm happy to raise some money for a good cause for it.

After doing some further reading off the back of Gilly's recent Shelter raising thread I thought I'd try to get a bit more for the same charity.

Charity Page

http://www.shelter.org.uk/

Just giving page

http://www.justgiving.com/Mark-Fenton5

I'm taking requests for new pieces, but the below are a few examples of the ones I've done over the last couple of weeks - in regard to time it's totally pendent on the complexity of the reference picture, some take a few hours, some an hour - most of the time is the sketching & photo-shop prep time.

Examples of recent work. - apologies for the meh picture quality - taken with a phone but in reality the blacks are all actually black (if you know what I mean).

Bowie
david_bowie_by_darkelmarko-d6i3wju.jpg
Good morning Vietnam!
final_flash_by_darkelmarko-d6arrnb.jpg
The Imp
tyrion_lannister_by_darkelmarko-d68efzb.jpg
Jaime Lannister
jaime_lannister_by_darkelmarko-d688110.jpg
Space Marine
space_marine_by_darkelmarko-d5zgwyx.jpg
Tiger
tiger___promarker_pens_by_darkelmarko-d63hn30.jpg

If you can leave what you want here, I'll go away draw it - you decide if you are happy with it (only serious posts only, this is for charity :p) I'll post it to you after you have made a donation on the just-giving page.

Last edited:
Soldato
I would LOVE one of those Boba Fett pictures but I guess your not selling?

EDIT: Just seen the bottom few lines...

I guess I could ask for Batman as he's awesome too! Similar to Dark Knight or Dark Knight Rises movie poster?

Last edited:
Permabanned
These are awesome, I'd happily make a donation for one! As above, how much is fair for them to cover your costs and give a decent donation?

Soldato
OP
Well I'm open for requests so whatever you want really - Batman shouldn't be too much of a problem - I'll have a look for reference pictures when I get back from work tonight.

For the suggested donation, the total cost to me will be about £10 per picture which I'll be covering (my part of the donation for each one).

Ideally at least £30/£40 to make it worth the personal cost & time + postage/frame/packaging & material costs - anything extra is great as it's for a good cause & obviously all goes direct to the charity due to it being through "just-giving".

All the ones listed above have already been claimed by friends & I'll be getting them to donate on the just-giving page too, but I should be able to re-create them pretty close to the original if any of the above are wanted (they should be better in theory lol as had some practice) - the suggested donation would be a little higher for the more complex style ones (The first & the Iron-man one took triple the time of the rest of them!).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ideally at least £30/£40 to make it worth the personal cost & time + postage/frame/packaging & material costs - anything extra is great as it's for a good cause & obviously all goes direct to the charity due to it being through "just-giving".

Would that that were true :(

Just Giving deduct a fair portion of what is donated (they don't take directly from the money, they take from the Gift Aid, which is still taking money destined for the charities).

By fair I mean large, not just.

Soldato
Well I'm open for requests so whatever you want really - Batman shouldn't be too much of a problem - I'll have a look for reference pictures when I get back from work tonight.

For the suggested donation, the total cost to me will be about £10 per picture which I'll be covering (my part of the donation for each one).

All the ones listed above have already been claimed by friends & I'll be getting them to donate on the just-giving page too, but I should be able to re-create them pretty close to the original if any of the above are wanted (they should be better in theory lol as had some practice) - the suggested donation would be a little higher for the more complex style ones (The first & the Iron-man one took triple the time of the rest of them!).

If I had £30/£40 I would say yes, but unfortunately I can only spare about £10...

Soldato
OP

Just Giving deduct a fair portion of what is donated (they don't take directly from the money, they take from the Gift Aid, which is still taking money destined for the charities).

Well yeah you are right, but when I say "charity" I meant none to me :p, but yeah it's not the best out there, but not bad - I find it's a safe way for people to donate.

I can confirm the quality of Marks paintings, still got mine from his previous thread hanging on my wall :)

KaHn
Thanks :), I've been practising since the last ones & changed format (from paint to artist pen!).

Man of Honour
I won't use Just Giving as they're the most expensive (though with the Shelter thing I didn't have a choice anyway, we were given SponsorMe/Charities Trust).

Soldato
OP
I won't use Just Giving as they're the most expensive (though with the Shelter thing I didn't have a choice anyway, we were given SponsorMe/Charities Trust).
Would you recommend I switch to http://www.sponsorme.co.uk/ instead? - if it's a better donor rate I'm happy to create an account on that (better if more goes to the cause).

It seems I mistakenly assumed the rates would be similar across the board!.

Man of Honour
I can't actually find the fees for SponsorMe (as I said I didn't choose them, they were chosen for me).

They do guarantee to be 30% cheasper than their rivals. might be worth asking them what those fees are.

Man of Honour

No they don't. Also remember most places are charged card fees anyway . So it's only 5% of the tax back.

This is how it works

You donate £10.
Your charity receives £10 within days.
We then reclaim the Gift Aid from HMRC(which takes 2 to 3 weeks) + £2.50
When we receive the Gift Aid we deduct our 5% fee from it - 63p
Barclaycard deducts a card-processing fee on pounds sterling (GBP) payments (1.3%) -13p
We pay the Gift Aid, minus our fee and card-processing fee, to your charity.
Your £10 donation becomes £11.74
In summary: when you donate £10, your charity receives £11.74.

SponsorMe take 4%
Our costs are covered by a small administration fee of 4% of funds raised which is deducted before the monies are transferred to charities.
I can only assume that's from the full amount. Not just Gift Aid

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Charge a large amount.

Yes they do.

SponsorMe who you would prefer to use takes 4%

Would you like to read the thread and point out where I chose Sponsor Me over Just Giving?

[edit]I'm guessing that Glaucus is doing some maths now and working out that it's 5% of the total sum and he's just proved that Sponsor Me (someone forced on me that he accused me of preferring to use) is actually cheaper ;)

Man of Honour
Ah sorry, misread what you wrote. Who would you use then to avoid these fees!?
The simpler you make something, the more people will donate, that's why just giving is so good, most people have accounts on it these days.
But no I don't think it's a lot.

Who's the cheapest? a bit more looking around and virgin Money Giving is just 2% are they the best?
I am interested in this as doing three charity things in the next two years.

Those are some awesome drawings anyway.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Your drawings look great! I'm going to check funds and see if I can make a decent donation, could do with something to fill my bare walls :D

Man of Honour
Ah sorry, misread what you wrote. Who would you use then to avoid these fees!?
The simpler you make something, the more people will donate, that's why just giving is so good, most people have accounts on it these days.
But no I don't think it's a lot.

Who's the cheapest? a bit more looking around and virgin Money Giving is just 2% are they the best?
I am interested in this as doing three charity things in the next two years.

Those are some awesome drawings anyway.

Yeah, Virgin are good. Shelter used them last year.

I think MyDonate take the lowest cut, and then BeMyCharity.

MoneySavingExpert did a piece on it not so long since but I can't find it.

Back
Top Bottom