LG 29EA93 Better than 3 screen setups??

Associate
Hi i don't know if anyone has seen this monitor

It has a Ultra-wide 21:9 screen that is unseen in other monitors...

That i am aware of at the time of writing this,I stumbled across it.

Most Monitors i have ever owned at 16:9 if you see video's on...

Youtube people playing games it looks almost like a Multi-Monitor...

Setup seen as the Ultra-wide 21:9 ratio has a resolution of 2560x1080

Anyone own one please let me know what you think of watching Movies/

Playing games on,Only downside i saw about the monitor is that some games...

Don't support the Ultra-wide 21:9 Ratio like AC3 etc.

Also it's got a nice price tag to go along with it.

Let me know what you guys think once you have searched this.

Many Thanks

Associate
dell U2913WM owner here.

movies = awesome, provided they are in the proper ratio = no black bars

most games i play (fps and mmos) support this resolution, so awesome in this regard too.

however, i do NOT recommend this screen as a single screen solution, unless you're upgrading from a 23", because i think that the height isn't really enough for normal work and/or surfing, etc.

i have a secondary 24" U2412 (1920x1200) for browsing and this combination suits me best.

sorry, but i can't comment on whether this is better than a triple screen setup, since i never owned one.

Associate
I also have the Dell equivalent. Very happy with it, does exactly what I wanted it to do.

For movies it is fantastic, no black bars is something you need to see (or not :)) in order to realise the benefit.

I haven't been gaming too much lately but the latest games such as bioshock infinite and tomb raider have supported the resolution fine and it is incredible.

It will take some getting used to as browsing the web is not really comfortable using the entire screen width, hence I tend to snap the browser to the side to use just half the screen. This may seem a little annoying but I tend to have a few things open at once. I may be browsing and watching the tv via media centre, they use half the screen each which is great for me.

It all depends on how you plan on using the screen, as skuko has posted, it is like having a 23" extended at the sides.

I used to own a u2711 2560x1440 and I don't regret the move but that's because it this Dell u2913wm suits my needs better. You need to decide whether this resolution suits yours.

Regarding the comparison to triple screen gaming, I can't help you there, never tried it.

Soldato
I personally find the immersion factor of a 29" 21:9 monitor much better than any eyefinity setup. This article covers my own personal experiences with 29 inchers on games and movies. I originally thought that I would find the relative lack of height to be a problem but I didn't and really quite warmed to this aspect ratio. They are really unique monitors for gaming. :)

Associate
1080 is way too low vertical resolution. This screen really can't compare to 3-monitor setups as the resolution is far, far lower. 2.7 million pixels, almost a million pixels smaller than even a single 27" 2560x1440 monitor.

Soldato
How many people actually look at the side monitors in a triple screen setup though?

I do quite like the ultra wide screens but they do lack vertically. I'd go for a 27 inch 1440p or 30 inch 1600p screen myself though.

Soldato
As I said I also felt that the horizontal bias would get to me. For gaming, though, remember that the vast majority of the time the field of view is tied to the aspect ratio. Not comparing to Eyefinity here, but you can see more of the game world than you can on a 2560 x 1440 monitor. I was quite surprised by the gulf between my expectation and how I actually find these 21:9 of monitors in practice. It's really something you have to try for yourself and see.

Associate
I personally find the immersion factor of a 29" 21:9 monitor much better than any eyefinity setup. This article covers my own personal experiences with 29 inchers on games and movies. I originally thought that I would find the relative lack of height to be a problem but I didn't and really quite warmed to this aspect ratio. They are really unique monitors for gaming. :)

nice article there PCM2, a delight to read, as always. :)

one remark though, your 16:9 BF3 screenshot is wrong, it's the same 21:9 shot narrowed, the same area is shown, just sqeezed horizotally. you might wanna correct that ;)

Associate
I have a triple monitor setup and wouldn't swap it for Anything. The wide screen lg. will take up less space on your desk but obviously it is not as big as a trie setup therefor if you need it for productivity as well then I would recommend a multi monitor setup as you can separate windows more easily. Also the LG isn't supported by eyfinity and nvidia surround as well as a multi monitor setups are.

Last edited:
Soldato
nice article there PCM2, a delight to read, as always. :)

one remark though, your 16:9 BF3 screenshot is wrong, it's the same 21:9 shot narrowed, the same area is shown, just sqeezed horizotally. you might wanna correct that ;)

Glad you enjoyed it. And also glad you picked up on that embarrassing mistake. I can't believe I didn't spot that, it was just a distorted version of the 21:9 picture. :p It's been corrected now.

Mei

Mei

Soldato
Glad you enjoyed it. And also glad you picked up on that embarrassing mistake. I can't believe I didn't spot that, it was just a distorted version of the 21:9 picture. :p It's been corrected now.

i liked the review on the aoc-q2963pm a screen im still considering, i have used the smaller 27inch aoc which i do really like, i think i like a glossy screen more tho, do they have similar coatings?

im actually using a sony 42w6 right now as i type this, im loving it as a pc screen i really am, i know it sounds gigantic but there is a 32inch version would be great to see a review on it

response time is meant to be the lowest for a led tv, built in options like reality creation and edge enhance make video and text look so nice

yeh workspace isnt great lol but im amazed how good it is everywhere else

Soldato
i liked the review on the aoc-q2963pm a screen im still considering, i have used the smaller 27inch aoc which i do really like, i think i like a glossy screen more tho, do they have similar coatings?

It surprised me how much I enjoyed it - especially using it beside a glossy WQHD monitor, you'd think it might be a system shock. The AOC's screen surface is similar to the i2757Fm and the other 'Full HD' AH-IPS panels. It's actually slightly lighter (less grainy) but not quite as on the WQHD models.

Man of Honour
RE 3 screens v 2560x1080 it depends a lot on the games you play and your own preferences - for me i.e. racing games I don't mind the bezels and while 2560x1080 is nice 3 panels is even more immersive but the opposite is true for many FPS games where I find the bezels annoying and 2560x1080 is way better - you have to see BioShock Infinite on one to really appreciate just how immersive it is.

Again even 16:9(16:10) v 21:9 it depends a lot on the game - I found Tomb Raider, probably due to being third person, a bit odd on 21:9 as it looked a bit like you were viewing the game through a letterbox whereas games like BioShock and Dishonored were immense on 21:9.

Soldato
Seeing as this has a lower vertical height, does it mean that games will look a little "off", as in squished slightly top down?

No. Vertically the display is the same as a Full HD 23" one. In fact the pixel pitch is pretty much identical so it's like using a 23" Full HD display with extra information at the sides. Nothing is stretched or squashed. Be sure to read that article I linked to earlier.

Back
Top Bottom