• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

get a 7990 or wait for custom cooler for 290

Associate
I'm not sure what to do, get 7990 on sale now or wait and get a 290 with a custom cooler. I game at 1080 and currently have a 6970 which I bought on release day and want another GPU that will last me another 3 years.

Also I'm away all week on Holiday, so would not be able to have it delivered till next Monday. Would Overclockers be able to deliver it next week instead of this week?

I'm in the same predicament. I have a buyer for my 680gtx should I make the jump. Is the gigabyte better than the msi or are they all the same? I mainly play bf4 and have a 120hz monitor that I'm hoping the 7990 would do 120fps at 1080p ?

In my opnion 2x 7950, 2x 7970 or 2x R9 280x are better than one 7990.. they will cost about the same and perform about the same, but 2 cards will run cooler and if one dies you still can use the other one while you return the fault one, also the resale value probably will be higher.

Even with headphones the noise from a reference R9 290(x) is really loud, so waiting for the custom coolers would be a good idea.

A 7990 performs better than a 290, but in the future you could add another 290 if you decide to use eyefinity or use a higher resolution monitor, also with 2x 290 your PSU will be enough.

You can order from OcUK and choose the delivery date without any problem.

In my opnion 2x 7950, 2x 7970 or 2x R9 280x are better than one 7990.. they will cost about the same and perform about the same, but 2 cards will run cooler and if one dies you still can use the other one while you return the fault one, also the resale value probably will be higher.

Even with headphones the noise from a reference R9 290(x) is really loud, so waiting for the custom coolers would be a good idea.

A 7990 performs better than a 290, but in the future you could add another 290 if you decide to use eyefinity or use a higher resolution monitor, also with 2x 290 your PSU will be enough.

You can order from OcUK and choose the delivery date without any problem.

Thanks for the reply, about being able to select delivery dates ;)

I tend to like dual GPU cards as they take up less space
and if I have this one it would be my third one I have had. I don't run single GPU cards in xfire.

I think you've almost answered your own question if you're comfortable with dual gpu's then the 7990 looks like a great card for you. It'll perform significantly faster than a 290 in games that scale properly.

I think you've almost answered your own question if you're comfortable with dual gpu's then the 7990 looks like a great card for you. It'll perform significantly faster than a 290 in games that scale properly.

I think your right, I nearly did answer my own question :D

The 780 is a fine card but the 7990 is faster but two 780 in sli would be faster yet again so in your case i would add a second 780

I'm not sure what to do, get 7990 on sale now or wait and get a 290 with a custom cooler. I game at 1080 and currently have a 6970 which I bought on release day and want another GPU that will last me another 3 years.

Also I'm away all week on Holiday, so would not be able to have it delivered till next Monday. Would Overclockers be able to deliver it next week instead of this week?

If the games you play, support CF, then get the 7990, overclock it and forget about it for 2-3 years. You will play everything on max settings at 1080p and it will not drop fps.

If you have an Intel i7, you can look for a factory overclocked GTX780 that are going bellow £400. Yes slower than the 7990 but you get more grunt if the game you play doesn't s support CF. And it will hold well at 1080p no matter what comes out the next few years, post mantle also.

Or else wait for custom cooler R9 290/290X.

At 1080p you cannot go wrong at any way you go, AMD or Nvidia. 7990 or 290 or 290X or GTX780.

And because everything is theory, what I did? Got a GTX780 after having 2 7950s, which sold. And pretty pleased with the little beast, chewing games that currently play without bothering me if there is SLI/CF support. Like Rome 2, WOT, War Thunder, XCOM, X Rebirth.

Imho best money spent on a gpu sine the 9500 non pro, more than ten years ago. :o

Purchased one after a huge battle with myself if i should or not :D I think its probably the most cost effective route for me to go for ATM. I don't want to crossfire 2 cards in the future. A single GPU makes it much easier.

I know what you mean about having a battle with your self, I've been looking at them all day on Overclockers and rereadin reviews on the internet.

Yawbster - you'll need to edit your post to remove the discussion about prices on competitor websites. This forum is paid for & run by OcUK and one of the rules is no competitor discussions.

Just for the record though, I've noticed more that other websites tend to put things on sale to match OcUK rather than the other way round, but that's just my experience.

To everyone in the thread who's ordered a 7990 - enjoy, it's a beast of a card. :D

Back
Top Bottom