• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alpenföhn Passive DRAM / VRAM Chip Coolers

Soldato
Kraken G10 and a 290x using a H75

the paste that comes with these, how long does it take to cure?

ive left them 3 hours so far and some still move a bit if i wiggle them gently?

is this going to be an all night thing, i cant find a specific idea of cure time for these anywhere, i see other glues people say 5 hours but this seems like it will be longer, thoughts on the cure time please?

Last edited:
Hey Atomic, i thought you was going to use the Akasa thermal tape! No going back for you now with the thermal glue hehe :) hope it tames that beast of yours

Ok got it all up and running this morning.

pictures of the GPU are not great as my camera isnt great at present, but here is some showing the placement of the heat sinks and the shiny Core :)

Vram placement for heat sinks, you will see i used a shallow height one at the bottom of the card and had to sit the third one along at the top middle area back a bit to accommodate the H75 cooler.
The top left i used one of the thin long smaller heat sinks and then got another and cut it to fit the other one just there so it didn't interfere with the surrounding electronics.

Here is the old reference cooler and the core nice and clean, again sorry about poor picture quality.

So i have the following all put together and up and running

Kraken G10
Corsair H75 AIO Cooler
Akasa TIM Clean

Left the Vram sinks overnight and so far so good, none fallen off yet lol.

So the first pic is of the setup with clocks at stock settings

Next is with an oc which i use to game in BF4 with 1080/1400 Idle.

Then with the 1080/1400 under 45 minutes of Valley looping.

At stock clocks with the reference cooler i was hitting 65 @ idle and with a 75% fan speed (noisey) around 80 on the core, vrms were around the same as they are now.

Would just like to say this is soooo quiet compared to the stock jet engine lol, yes i can hear it but no where near what it was.

ok forgot to take a pic of it all fitted but here is a side shot of it in the case, this is to show the vram and how close they are to the kraken, especially the big one at the rear of the card, touch me.
I screwed one side of the rear heat sink in and because the holes dont match up i cable tied the other end as you can see from the picture.

Heaven loop at stock

Mining temps, now for me this is a huge difference as normally its very loud and temps are up in the 85 range but not any more, its quiet and temps down too :)

Last edited:
Iis the long VRM1 heatsink a direct fit for the strip, what I mean is do the screw holes line up with the cards? If so does is come with said screws, I know you used paste, but would prefer a less permanent option (have some Akasa tape) but would prefer to bolt/screw down for reassurance.

Iis the long VRM1 heatsink a direct fit for the strip, what I mean is do the screw holes line up with the cards? If so does is come with said screws, I know you used paste, but would prefer a less permanent option (have some Akasa tape) but would prefer to bolt/screw down for reassurance.

The long big rear one i did not use paste, screwed one side in and cable tied the other end, i have now added a picture showing this :)

ps: it came with said screws :)

Where do i start with this update....

Right well i left the machine mining last night and got up this morning to vrm 1 temps of 97 and vrm 2 temps of 85, which while just about inside the rated temps i thought seemed a bit high for my liking.
The core was sat there happily at 66 degrees which is excellent, especially when you consider there is no noise at all.
Now i decided to investigate as the VRM 1 has the long heatsink attached to it with a screw one end and a cable tie the other, this clearly doesnt work very well.
When i took the GPU out of the case i noticed that a VRAM heatsink was very loose, so loose it dropped off onto my hand :( So i looked at the rest and they were not what i would call stable either and in fact i was able to just remove them without force.
So either this glue that came with the VRAM heat sinks is rubbish or faulty or i did something wrong. Now at this point i must add that one of the tubes that came with one of the sets of VRAM heatsinks packs i bought was no good straight away as it would not come out of the tube and was semi solid.

So im now sat with the stock cooler back on and wondering what to do next, buy some better/different glue/thermal pads ? Or leave it as is and put up with the terrible noise? VRAM cooling is a problem with the Kraken G10 from my experience so far...

The glue ended up more like a putty than going hard as i was expecting, but this still wouldnt change the poor results on VRM cooling

Atomic, definitely buy the Akasa tape, its great stuff and will hold those sinks on no probs at all, and also this means you wont kill your board should you ever decided to remove the sinks.

With luck you can get all of the Sinks off if the glue has never set fully, and clean it all up

Atomic, definitely buy the Akasa tape, its great stuff and will hold those sinks on no probs at all, and also this means you wont kill your board should you ever decided to remove the sinks.

With luck you can get all of the Sinks off if the glue has never set fully, and clean it all up

yeah as pic above i got them off real easy. bought some tape now, will be here tomorrow so will give an update then.

Thanks for advice

Back
Top Bottom