• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alpenföhn Passive DRAM / VRAM Chip Coolers

Great stuff, hopefully it should help, although im not 100% convinced your ever going to get really cool temps on those Vrams with just sinks on them, not without something to blow the residual heat away, still, should be a massive upgrade over the stock rubbish.

I am using the Akasa tape on a 7970 and the results are worse than you are getting with the thermal compound, it does however keep the vrm heatsinks attached quite well.

I am using the Akasa tape on a 7970 and the results are worse than you are getting with the thermal compound, it does however keep the vrm heatsinks attached quite well.

mmm well that does`nt sound good at all, here`s hoping I have better results then, although knowing my luck I very much doubt it lol

mmm well that does`nt sound good at all, here`s hoping I have better results then, although knowing my luck I very much doubt it lol
To be honest that's a given, however even if thermal paste does transfer the heat better, it's meaningless if it can't secure the sinks in place. And it's not like it's going to make that huge of a difference, considering the vram won't get that hot.

Reliability>Performance

SO refitted with the thermal tape yesterday and all has stayed put this time around good right.... Well no actually lol I left it mining last night and this morning the temps were as follows -

Thats Vrm 2 temps of 91 and Vrm 1 temps of 111 :eek: not happy with this at all, i dont think the air flow in my case is that great as the Bitfenix ronin is a bit crowded but even so those temps are way to high for my liking.
The core is fine and that 73 is the hottest its been under the H75 cooler.

Clearly this cant continue, may have to dsr the Kraken and H75 and put up with stock cooler until i can afford a water loop or maybe eventually find an arctic accelero xtreme iii or something.

I'm using a dwood bracket, like a kraken, with an Kuhler 620, no VRM heatsinks on either VRM just a GT15 over VRM1, and max temps I get is around 80 on VRM1 (1130/1450), but thats on a furmark burn in 1080P.

So something is defo a miss?

I dont understand what lol the tape went on well and the vram sinks are covering the chips perfectly, i used the big long heat sink for vrm 1 as well so big and chunky?

fan is running at 1456 roughly and will not go any quicker as thats its rated speed on the kraken

Best you can do for the vrm1 is that you use gelid thermal paste on the big alpehnfohn heatsink.Screw one side and use zip tie on the other.Nothing gets you better heat transfer then the gelid thermal paste.

Best you can do for the vrm1 is that you use gelid thermal paste on the big alpehnfohn heatsink.Screw one side and use zip tie on the other.Nothing gets you better heat transfer then the gelid thermal paste.

see i originally zip tied and scewed one side but no paste and i got 91 on vrm 1, i could test and remove vrm 1 and paste it up and zip/screw it down.
I would hate to think what temps would be without a vram sink at all :eek:

My VRM temps around 60c and 75c max (roughly forgot exact temps). I use the Alpenföhn Passive DRAM but with a Arctic cooling Hybrid - maybe the problem is the fan on the Kraken? It is directly down rather than at an angle?

Last edited:
see i originally zip tied and scewed one side but no paste and i got 91 on vrm 1, i could test and remove vrm 1 and paste it up and zip/screw it down.
I would hate to think what temps would be without a vram sink at all :eek:

You only need thermal glue when you cant attach the sink otherway.But if you can screw one side and zip tie the other use some decent thermal paste.It will work wonders.

Hi there, just thought I'd add that I did a similar thing to my X unlocked HIS 290, but used a bracket from the bay and a corsair CPU all-in-one and extra small fan

I didnt fancy making the heatsink bonds permanent, so i bought some 'Halnziye HY910 Silicone Heatsink Plaster Thermal Adhesive Glue' from the bay, its worked a treat. I used this under ALL the heatsinks, as it should give a better heat transfer than just contact alone.

As a side note, VRM temps barely get into the 70's now, and when mining the GPU gets into the 60's, and it's really quiet.

So it is worth doing this..

Also, i accidentaly pulled the fan plug out when fitting the side panel to my machine, and didnt notice for 2 days. The VRM1 temp was 127C when I did notice. Everything still works fine now though thankfully.

Is the adhesive non conductive (electrical)? I cant seem to find out anywhere.

Plus i think i made a mistake by sticking a couple of them on the top when the actualy ram chip is underneath. What do you guys rekon?

IMAG0159.jpg

Back
Top Bottom