3930k OC on a Gigabyte x79-ud3

Soldato
has anyone done the above? i'm coming from a sandy on a gene v and well x79 is harder and i don't have as much time as i once did...can anyone help me out??

thanks

Dave

Soldato
Hi, for now just leave everything on auto except your CPU voltage set it to about 1.32v and no higher than 1.35v if you have a good air cooler.

Them just up your multi to see how she goes watch your temps, you also could read a couple of reviews on your mobo. As usually they do a bit of
overclockinging and this will give you a rough idea what to do as well, hope this helps.

Good watercooling 1.40v CPU voltage again no higher.

But really the offset voltage method is best for overclocking as its kinder to your CPU giving a longer life and better temps.

I'm sure somebody with a bit better knowledge will come and help you out.

Let us know how you get on.

Soldato
OP
hmm well i've been playing around with it all night and i can't seem to get anything to stick at all. i've set the multi to 40 but volts to 1.3 but whenever i restart and open up cpu-z it keeps showing 3.2, even when i've got prime going...offset method is greyed out as well...

Man of Honour
(Gonna sound a bit like a parrot) but you may need to touch the VTT and IMC (depending on RAM) voltages with that board and anything other than a mild overclock.

With a bit of playing about I found the best results come if you disable the C states under Advanced CPU Core Settings for C3, C6/7, etc. and use offset (set CPU Vcore back to normal as per what wazza said to unlock DVID) leave all the advanced power settings on auto unless your shooting for a really high overclock.

Soldato
OP
OK so i tried Manual and that didn't work so thanks for the Normal tip. Problem i have is voltages/fan settings etc all stick, but when i set the core clock it just shows as 3.2 in windows and when i restart into bios. Just wondering if i need to keep C1E/EIST on on this board for the OC to work...Rroff you have the same board right? Can you advice?

I may have VT-d enabled by default - could this be stopping the OC? Or should i disable Reat Time CPU Ratio Control in OS??

Also i'm on the F16 bios. The only newer one listed on the Gigabyte website is the F20 bios, is it worth updating?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
i've been using cpu-z already fella, i've got it to show 4.00ghz once, then as soon as i started to stress it, it shot down to 3.2 and stayed there

Man of Honour
Are all the settings under Advanced CPU Core Settings on auto? (other than CPU Clock Ratio and any power saving states), sounds like its using default boost behaviour that reduces the ratios as more cores are loaded up.

Never found the fan control options to work very well on this board I ended up using a fan controller instead.

EDIT: I'm using F20 BIOS as I've found it the most stable, previous to F17 I found it would often randomly revert to BIOS defaults for some settings (mostly VTT/IMC voltages) so it could be another similar bug.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I've updated the bios to f20 and still the same problem always slipping back to that 32 multi. Running at stock at the moment. Time to test how good gigabyte RMA is I think.

Caporegime
have you tried upping the boards power limit? it might be throttling because of that

and manually set the cpu/pci clock to 100 and just the cpu multi to 40x,if it still drops back try with both cpu mult and all turbo ratio's set to 40x

Soldato
OP
I've done all those things!! I must have tried a hundred different things. I'll start taking screenshots of the bios and posting them . Hopefully someone will find some little thing I've overlooked

Soldato
OP
Right i think i've found the problem - i was using realtemp to monitor the temps and everytime i opened it, it reset the bios turning on eist and changing the multi back to stock...Anyone else come across this...

I now i have the dilemma of 2 2011 motherboards - this UD3 and a Rampage IV Formula...which one do i keep???

Back
Top Bottom