It had to be a Honda Jazz..

Soldato
OP
Probably yes they should. Current systems are not working; I reckon most people know of someone who carried on driving longer than they should have and unfortunately a lot of those will only have stopped after being in an accident, often of their own making.

Associate
Doesn't say anywhere at all that his driving licence has been revoked. Pretty ridiculous if he's allowed back on the roads to do it again.

Soldato
Retest people at the official retirement age and then every so many years after.

Arbitrary threshold like this are nonsense. There are plenty of people that are a danger to themselves and other way before retirement, and also plenty of people that are perfectly safe to drive at 70+.

Soldato
There are a vast number of 70+ year-old people who are very good drivers. It's just unfortunate that there are some with more severe health issues who perhaps aren't aware that it's time to hang up the keys for good. These are the ones that make the news when they drive the wrong way down the motorway and/or cause an accident.

It's not just OAPs that do it, either.

Soldato
Retest people at the official retirement age and then every so many years after.

Agree with this. Or at least have a compulsory refresher course just so they know about changes etc in the 40+ years they have been driving. The GF is diabetic and has to have hers resent off every 2 years since she passed her test so i can't believe anything as simple as this hasn't been added for OAP's already. Especially for cases like Dementia etc.

Caporegime
It's political suicide to tell people they're not trusted to have a license for life because we all think we're good drivers as we're not criticised other than a beep and a hand jesture. The biggest group effected also the biggest voting block, it wouldn't play well in the press as old people would lose thier independence in a time of encouraging old people to not be reclusive.

Events like these are rare, we do have some of the safest roads in the world and I don't thinks there's a big enough public will to make them safer. What's more outrageous is that it's upto the license holder to tell the dvla if thier eyesight isn't upto scratch

Last edited:
Soldato

Fortunately she got a very appropriate sentence for that bit of stupidity.

I do think that the DVLA should investigate concerns about elderly/mentally ill people from relatives etc. My grandfather insisted on driving well into his 90's despite not being up to the job, but the DVLA simply weren't interested. It seems that an accident has to happen before any official action is taken.

Soldato
I had this old old guy just randomly stop in the middle of the roundabout.. he looked frozen and just sat there confused!? not sure how they can think it's ok to get behind the wheel.

Back
Top Bottom