It had to be a Honda Jazz..

Man of Honour
I am now 62 having driven/ridden for the last 45 years. I can easily get 95% on the current theory test and my best part of a million mile driving history (750k since 1990) gives me experience to make my point.

Not all older drivers are a hazard and IMO many younger ones are more of a risk.

I will quite ably drive at the speed limit +/- 10% when conditions allow, and when the roads are quiet in the early hours, make a far better pace on long journeys.

I believe that my licence has to renew at age 70, but when I do retire, I may largely stop driving anyway on the grounds that the roads are far worse than they used to be in so many ways.

YOU ARE A DANGER TO THE ROADS, ACCEPT YOUR FATE OLD MAN

:p

Soldato
Regardless, IMO, there are simply too many cars on UK roads now anyway - the roads just aren't big enough. It's made worse when you see cars with only the driver, which we're all guilty of.

65 then every 5 years I think.

Judging by the brain dead retards I see driving around Hanley, Stoke On Trent, it needs to be 17 then every 5 years.

Regardless, IMO, there are simply too many cars on UK roads now anyway - the roads just aren't big enough. It's made worse when you see cars with only the driver, which we're all guilty of.

But buses are for people who haven't done very well in life*.

*Cities excluded obviously.

Man of Honour

You say that, but look at the numbers of buses on the roads with only the driver. They should stop doing that as it's very inefficient.

Get the buses off our roads.

Soldato
You say that, but look at the numbers of buses on the roads with only the driver. They should stop doing that as it's very inefficient.

Get the buses off our roads.

Raise taxes, bring forward national transport to the point where it's a real and affordable alternative to driving, get cars off the road.

Associate
I really don't know how people have concluded that a retest or license revoking will stop some one with dementia from doing something stupid like this.

Soldato
I really don't know how people have concluded that a retest or license revoking will stop some one with dementia from doing something stupid like this.

Someone with who has had their licence revoked on medical grounds is less likely to have a car sat on the drive ready to go than someone who has not.

Soldato
Someone with who has had their licence revoked on medical grounds is less likely to have a car sat on the drive ready to go than someone who has not.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't his argument.

He was suggesting that it was an odd conclusion that people have made to think that retesting and licences being revoked have any correlation.

Licences being revoked due to dementia, fine, no problem. Or for any condition that would make driving dangerous, again, no problem.

Retesting because of the age of an individual still seems odd. Unless of course the examiner is also qualified to diagnose dementia.

Caporegime
An elderly person is more likely to develop dementia or other illnesses/conditions that affect their judgement and reactions though.

It is the younger males more likely to crash, so they should be tested with the most frequency...

Caporegime
It is the younger males more likely to crash, so they should be tested with the most frequency...

They're capable of driving though. They just choose to drive like buttholes.

Heard a good exchange between my grandfather (84) and my uncle recently.

Grandfather; I've not crashed in nearly 70 years of driving.

Uncle; yeah but how many crashes have you caused?

We've since forced him to stop driving after he forgot to change out of first gear when doing 30. He's so deaf he couldn't hear the car screaming. He has absolutely no awareness of what's going on around him.

Chooser of poor weather meets
Soldato

GFs nan had her license revoked for driving on the wrong side of the road 3 times (yes 3) during a re-test that was ended after 10 minutes. Car (not a Honda Jazz) had to be taken away by family straight away and it took her quite a few months to remember that she was no longer allowed to drive, otherwise she would have just jumped in and driven.

Back
Top Bottom