• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I think my 980 GTX is on it's last legs!

Caporegime
It has been doing 1560/4000 on the core for months, perfectly fine in every single game. But I haven't played very much gaming wise on the new I7 system. Updated to the 353.51 drivers " Driver has stopped responding " within about 30mins of game play in Arma 3 BP. Next day it happened in Insurgency! Went back to the 353.49, same thing " Grey Screen / Driver has stopped responding ". Dropped to the 353.38, played Arma 3 and complete grey screen, driver has stopped responding. This is all with the clocks being dropped from 1560 - 1550-1530, now it's just done it at 1500.

Everything was fine on the old system :mad:

Soldato
Go back to basics man. Stock Bios, stock clocks, fresh drivers then monitor it. If all good then slowly increase the clocks again and see how you get on.

Caporegime
OP
Go back to basics man. Stock Bios, stock clocks, fresh drivers then monitor it. If all good then slowly increase the clocks again and see how you get on.

Low usage situation -> voltage drops too much vs. core speed when overclocked and card crashes. Very common issue with GTX 9x0 cards. Limiting the P00 power state minimum voltage should fix it assuming that the OC is stable. Another option is to use k-boost.

What I have noticed in Arma 3 is the core volts and volts dropping off to idle volts and then it clocks up again and crash

Associate
What I have noticed in Arma 3 is the core volts and volts dropping off to idle volts and then it clocks up again and crash

This is the reason and actual game that forced me to flash a funky bios on to my 970 :D

Keep constant load voltage during 3d apps at all times,so this power states bug doesnt occur.

Caporegime
OP
Happy to report that so far, 350.12 drivers as recommended by many on the Geforce drivers has fixed my issues

Keep constant load voltage during 3d apps at all times,so this power states bug doesnt occur.

Hmm mine doesn't have that, voltages still drop.

Caporegime
OP
And here we go...

For many months now my old system has been rock stable, hell I've even played and completed Dragon Age Inquisition. I then installed the 353.06 drivers and was getting " driver had stopped responding " in Windows, then in the 353.12. This turned out to be a Nvidia wide issue which was then later fixed in the 353.38.

I got a new system, everything was working fine until in my OCD ways of having the latest drivers, went for the leaked ones 353.51. I was getting grey screen of death in Arma 3 and Insurgency. Thinking it was the drivers I downgraded to the 353.49, same thing issue but more often.

I dropped my core down by 50mhz and my memory by 500, it was still happening. Hell I even tried the original bios for laughs, but then I noticed something.

In Arma 3 and Insurgency my core clocks and volts were dropping down to a lower power mode. Which of course I've not seen before as I've always been playing high gpu required games aka The Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inq. In those games the core is always maxed out as are the volts.

Every time this grey screen of death was happening, was directly after the core and volts were dropping to a lower power state, then coming back up again but not in sequence. Sometimes the core would go up to 1480mhz but the volts would stay at 1.1. This is also directly related to the timing issue and power mode that happened with people with Chrome + HW in the 353.38 drivers and why it mainly affects the superclocked even factory overclocked cards.

I downgraded to the 350.12 and noticed the core clocks and volts were far more stable, so they were not going into low power mode as often, also to note many many users on the geforce forums recommend these for fixing grey screen of death and TDR's.

Now I'm using KBOOST which keeps my core/mem/volts maxed out as they should be in games with no drops. ( This is NOT a thermal throttle issue )

Played Arma 3/BP for an hour, Insurgency for the same.

Soldato
And here we go...

For many months now my old system has been rock stable, hell I've even played and completed Dragon Age Inquisition. I then installed the 353.06 drivers and was getting " driver had stopped responding " in Windows, then in the 353.12. This turned out to be a Nvidia wide issue which was then later fixed in the 353.38.

I got a new system, everything was working fine until in my OCD ways of having the latest drivers, went for the leaked ones 353.51. I was getting grey screen of death in Arma 3 and Insurgency. Thinking it was the drivers I downgraded to the 353.49, same thing issue but more often.

I dropped my core down by 50mhz and my memory by 500, it was still happening. Hell I even tried the original bios for laughs, but then I noticed something.

In Arma 3 and Insurgency my core clocks and volts were dropping down to a lower power mode. Which of course I've not seen before as I've always been playing high gpu required games aka The Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inq. In those games the core is always maxed out as are the volts.

Every time this grey screen of death was happening, was directly after the core and volts were dropping to a lower power state, then coming back up again but not in sequence. Sometimes the core would go up to 1480mhz but the volts would stay at 1.1. This is also directly related to the timing issue and power mode that happened with people with Chrome + HW in the 353.38 drivers and why it mainly affects the superclocked even factory overclocked cards.

I downgraded to the 350.12 and noticed the core clocks and volts were far more stable, so they were not going into low power mode as often, also to note many many users on the geforce forums recommend these for fixing grey screen of death and TDR's.

Now I'm using KBOOST which keeps my core/mem/volts maxed out as they should be in games with no drops. ( This is NOT a thermal throttle issue )

Played Arma 3/BP for an hour, Insurgency for the same.

Yep

The issue is with voltage drops below 1 volt

Been banging on about this since before April.......

It's the same issue with Elite Dangerous.

Under clock the card or Kboost the card to a constant clock.....

Caporegime
OP
Yep

Personally I hate the boost option cards have in games, if I pay for a card to do what it's rated at or more, it should do that all the time in any game I play. It should never be dropping in games like "Elite Dangerous" ( your example ) or Arma 3. I might as well go and buy a GTX 960 :rolleyes:

Associate
Hmm mine doesn't have that, voltages still drop.
Yea on the stock bioses this has been an issue for quite a few 970/980 owners since launch,applying an overclock to a card also makes it a more frequent occurrence.Kboost is a bit if pain to have to enable/disable just to play games,i flashed a bios that keeps the voltage at a constant during any 3d applications.So when the clocks dynamically scale due to load the the voltage doesnt and the grey screen crash doesnt occur.
Yep

^this

Caporegime
OP
Yea on the stock bioses this has been an issue for quite a few 970/980 owners since launch,applying an overclock to a card also makes it a more frequent occurrence.Kboost is a bit if pain to have to enable/disable just to play games,i flashed a bios that keeps the voltage at a constant during any 3d applications.So when the clocks dynamically scale due to load the the voltage doesnt and the grey screen crash doesnt occur.

^this

If I give you my bios tonight would you be able to modify it?

Associate
If I give you my bios tonight would you be able to modify it?

Sure thing :)

All i need is a copy of the bios and the load voltage of your card at 100% usage.

The are 2 downsides to a bios like this you may want to be aware of

1.You cant increase voltage via Afterburner by adding mV,your voltage locked at what the value is set at in the bios

2.You get slightly higher power consumption in undemanding games,

Caporegime
OP
Sure thing :)

All i need is a copy of the bios and the load voltage of your card at 100% usage.

The are 2 downsides to a bios like this you may want to be aware of

1.You cant increase voltage via Afterburner by adding mV,your voltage locked at what the value is set at in the bios

2.You get slightly higher power consumption in undemanding games,

No that's fine, my voltage is about 1.275 as I already have it flashed, but in games that are not demanding it not only clock drops but volt drops as well. Will the clocks still drop?

I'll be posting it about 8pm, is that ok ;)

Associate
No that's fine, my voltage is about 1.275 as I already have it flashed, but in games that are not demanding it not only clock drops but volt drops as well. Will the clocks still drop?

I'll be posting it about 8pm, is that ok ;)

Yea thats fine m8,will make sure to check this thread later on in the evening :)

The clocks will drop down to the cards base clock at their lowest in games which around 1100mhz or so,and will scale up as Usage increaces like normal.The voltage will stay a rock solid 1.275v at all times in 3d applications tho.

Also you will want to set power management to adaptive in NVCP,if not the driver will treat video files as 3d apps,and run your card at 3d clocks lol.

For example
If i open a video file on my HDD

Adaptive 0.868v 8% power consumption 135mhz core clock
Max performance 1.218v 40% power consumption 1113mhz core clock

Back
Top Bottom