• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Teases Standardised External GPU Solution.

Soldato
Original Article - Link

AMD is prepping a standardized solution to plugin desktop class graphics cards into laptops for a huge boost in gaming performance. This tease came via AMD’s Robert Hallock’s facebook page and the solution promises to bring desktop class high-performance gaming experiences to ultra portable laptops via a simple plug and play solution.

The case itself is not too bad, will fit a full sized dGPU while adding some extra connections for the Portable.

Soldato
This isn't new is it? I've seen this solution with Nvidia cards for a while :confused:

It's one of the reasons the last Nvidias drivers allowed you to "eject" the card :p

Soldato
Razer, Alienware and Asus are all releasing external GPU boxes, I think the Alienware one is using a proprietary connector, but the other two are using standard thunderbolt connectors

And yes, this is the reason the recent NVIDIA drvers had an "eject" option

In fact that picture is the Razer Core, its nothing to do with AMD

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2016/01/razer-blade-stealth-and-razer-core/

Last edited:
Soldato
If you read the article, it doesn't claim this is new and does mention (all?) the previous external GPU technologies. The difference this time is that AMD are trying to make a standard for it rather than every manufacturer tying you into their products with proprietary versions.

Will be a good thing if it comes off, but as always it will need buy-in from the laptop manufacturers and, I guess, Nvidia too. I look forward to being able to convert my slim and light laptop into a gaming monster by simply hooking up an external caddy with a huge GPU in it in future years! :D

Soldato
If you read the article, it doesn't claim this is new and does mention (all?) the previous external GPU technologies. The difference this time is that AMD are trying to make a standard for it rather than every manufacturer tying you into their products with proprietary versions.

Will be a good thing if it comes off, but as always it will need buy-in from the laptop manufacturers and, I guess, Nvidia too. I look forward to being able to convert my slim and light laptop into a gaming monster by simply hooking up an external caddy with a huge GPU in it in future years! :D

This - many of the current external boxes lock you into that company. Even Thunderbolt is only found in a few laptops too.

Last edited:
Soldato
This isn't new is it? I've seen this solution with Nvidia cards for a while :confused:

It's one of the reasons the last Nvidias drivers allowed you to "eject" the card :p

It is not a Nvidia solution - these are solutions made by the companies themselves based around Thunderbolt which is an Intel technology but they are not standard between companies.

Also,ATI has was the first to try with their XGP system in 2008 but it was fairly limited to what it could use IIRC and it required special cards:

http://techreport.com/news/14863/amd-creates-external-graphics-box-for-notebooks

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Would be nice if there was a standard solution - many laptops and even some tablets have reasonable powerful CPUs that are capable of more than the integrated graphics solution is capable of in a docked type situation.

Soldato
OP
I think they are pushing it more with the release of Polaris. I think this is a sign that it is going to be very good on the power, performance and heat side for higher end cards.

Soldato
Would be nice if there was a standard solution - many laptops and even some tablets have reasonable powerful CPUs that are capable of more than the integrated graphics solution is capable of in a docked type situation.

The Razer core pictured will work with any thunderbolt/skylake laptop, not just the razer ones... iirc the Asus breakout box does as well, its only Alienware that have decided to use a proprietary connector (and even then it is still thunderbolt underneath)

If external graphics are more accessible think how much more PCs could be used for gaming. I hope AMD,Nvidia and Intel can come to some agreement over the implementation.

They already have - thundebolt - Razer Core - will work with any pcie GPU and any thunderbolt equipped skylake laptop

Soldato
OP
I don't think thunderbolt would become the main connection. PCI Express external is more than likely to be taken up as it does not need the proprietary chips for both ends nor the stupidly priced cables.

Soldato
^^ Yeah but it depends on thunderbolt being adapted as a standard by the devices :S (which it may do).

There are a whole bunch of skylake laptops with thunderbolt, yes (razer, Asus, msi, Acer and the non-Alieanware Dell ones)

I was about to get one when I realised my old one just needed stripping down and cleaning, but I will probably get one next time I'm going to be away from the UK for any appreciable amount of time (and the razer core is actually available to buy)

Back
Top Bottom