LG 60" Plasma has died... what next?

Soldato
I currently have the LG 60PN6500 I think it is, whatever, it's a 60" LG plasma that's now 6 years old.
It's just started doing the green pixelated snowy static all over all the blacks on the screen and I have no idea what it is, but figure it's death of the thing. Sad times.
It's been great and everything I need, which is why getting something new is hard.
I'm not bothered about it even being 4k, but assume most things would be now? I definitely don't want the curved stuff, I just want a screen around the 65" size, that's got a really nice crisp image, I mainly use it for the mac mini, like 99.9% of the time, so never use anything but that.

What should I look at?

Ta!

Soldato
I'm looking at buying a new one this week to replace my Pannicsonic plasma. So far narrowed it down to 2 TVs.

LG OLED65E6V

SONY KD-65ZD9

Both are stunning TVs. Just can't decide. Each has strengths over the other.

Soldato
I currently have the LG 60PN6500 I think it is, whatever, it's a 60" LG plasma that's now 6 years old.
It's just started doing the green pixelated snowy static all over all the blacks on the screen and I have no idea what it is, but figure it's death of the thing. Sad times.
It's been great and everything I need, which is why getting something new is hard.
I'm not bothered about it even being 4k, but assume most things would be now? I definitely don't want the curved stuff, I just want a screen around the 65" size, that's got a really nice crisp image, I mainly use it for the mac mini, like 99.9% of the time, so never use anything but that.

What should I look at?

Ta!

Hold on if you can for CES in 5 or so weeks - manufacturers new models will be announced and prices should drop considerably. Failing that, the LG OLED65B6P looks like great value for money and ticks the size/flat screen boxes.

Soldato
OP
I'd say about 2k would be nice. I think the wife would kill me if I spent any more.

Although that one does look nice Participant.

I might wait until Jan sales and see if I can pick anything up, maybe 2016 model or something?

That Hisense does actually look like a cracking vfm job with albeit limited features, I'm not after many. Let me have a look.

Associate
if i was in the market right now, i'd take a punt on the HiSense, even if only for a couple of years until standards etc are sorted

Associate
I went from a Lg Plasma, 50PK350 to a B6 OLED and it's a HUGE upgrade. I couldn't be happier. I didn't think I would use the Smart features much as I have an HTPC below the TV but we use them all the time!

Soldato
After another visit to my local TV store, I sat and gawped at the ZD9, E6 and B6 for another good length of time. I had all but ruled the B6 out as the reviews of the other 2 were more favourable. Watching them all back to back they all looked fantastic, I couldn't see any noticeable difference in picture quality between the E6 and B6. Certainly not over a grands difference. I don't use 3D so that's a mute point.

The ZD9 does look a lovely set, it has the brightest picture, but it only seemed to really shine with the super HD content. Most of my viewing will be SKY HD and Blu-rays, and with that material the LGs seemed better. To me as well £4,000 for a non OLED screen just seems to much money. The image seemed to pop far more on the LGs as well.

So long story short. Came back and ordered the 65" B6.

Soldato
After another visit to my local TV store, I sat and gawped at the ZD9, E6 and B6 for another good length of time. I had all but ruled the B6 out as the reviews of the other 2 were more favourable. Watching them all back to back they all looked fantastic, I couldn't see any noticeable difference in picture quality between the E6 and B6. Certainly not over a grands difference. I don't use 3D so that's a mute point.

The ZD9 does look a lovely set, it has the brightest picture, but it only seemed to really shine with the super HD content. Most of my viewing will be SKY HD and Blu-rays, and with that material the LGs seemed better. To me as well £4,000 for a non OLED screen just seems to much money. The image seemed to pop far more on the LGs as well.

So long story short. Came back and ordered the 65" B6.

How much did you pay for your 65" B6?

Associate
Are prices likely to drop that much in January? I'm in the market for a new tv but everyone keeps saying wait they will drop upto half price but surely the oled's won't be dropping to a grand?

Permabanned
Are prices likely to drop that much in January? I'm in the market for a new tv but everyone keeps saying wait they will drop upto half price but surely the oled's won't be dropping to a grand?

Probably drop to roughly the same as they did in the black Friday sales a week or so ago. They won't drop further than that until closer to the 2017 model releases.

Back
Top Bottom