0Patch to support Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 with security patches after official support end

Caporegime
Microsoft plans to end support for the company's operating systems Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 in January 2020. Enterprise customers may purchase extensions to extend support by up to three years and some other exceptions apply that extend official support.

Most businesses and all home customers won't be able to extend support officially. Security company 0Patch announced on September 21, 2019 that it will step in and "security-adopt" Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 to create and distribute security patches for these operating system versions after January 2020.

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/09/21/0...-security-patches-after-official-support-end/

Man of Honour
I dunno why MS don't just offer a "Windows 7" style variant of Windows 10 with minimal background processes and more user control... though it would still need a less **** UI and overall more consistent design approach.

Don
I dunno why MS don't just offer a "Windows 7" style variant of Windows 10 with minimal background processes and more user control... though it would still need a less **** UI and overall more consistent design approach.

Indeed. Windows needs to be far more modular.

Associate
Yeah windows does need to be picked apart and broken up but i still dont know why folk have such a bad hard on for 10 - i have found it to be absolutely fine and a great successor to 7.

Man of Honour
Yeah windows does need to be picked apart and broken up but i still dont know why folk have such a bad hard on for 10 - i have found it to be absolutely fine and a great successor to 7.

One factor is I tend to be the person a lot of friends and family lean on for fixing PCs, etc. and when Windows 10 does break it really is a pain to work with even as a simple demonstration they've taken away the ability to hit F8 on start-up to enter safe mode and fix simple problems so you are left hoping you can trick it into seeing a problem via 3x failed starts (rarely ever detected), hoping you can somehow boot up far enough to restart while holding down shift - but a lot of the time if you need safe mode at all it probably means you can't get that far in the first place! or messing about with recovery media that you might not always have to hand and the same thinking goes into pretty much every level of the OS - simple things that can help the end user to sort problems have been removed or implemented in a completely backwards manner and while the automated systems work most of the time when they do break it makes a right mess and often contend with you over taking control.

The other problem is though the OS tends to work reasonably well within a fairly narrow set of usage scenarios if you are close to an ideal user model you'll probably find it fairly good but if you are even slightly outside of that the experience can be completely different. Personally I use my systems for a wide range of tasks from web-browsing to game modding, video editing, electronic design, programming, various data-logging and server like tasks and much more and Windows 10 in that light is really inadequate compared to 7 which rarely gets in the way or thinks it knows better than you, with a lack of real life context awareness, how to approach something.

One of the things that frustrates me the most though is how often things like Windows update and the anti-malware service, etc. are disruptive unless you use 3rd party tools to disable them and that often is a less than ideal situation even then. Another example of how limited their vision is with the active hours implementation for example which is utterly useless if you do things like shift work and have a variety of devices that see intermittent usage - never ever a problem with Windows 7. (Though the latest update has added some pause functionality it is still not a great solution and on that note there is still lacking a way to manually force updates to restart if something goes wrong - which should have been in there from the very start).

Associate
Yeah i agree that when it breaks - especially boot issues - it does it with style, although you can still get f8 and other things back .

As for updates well its the age we live in, software is so poorly coded these days and the number of folk attacking that software is so great you have to update and have regular security updates as well - just a fact of life in 2019 i am afraid.
I also suspsect some of the update timing gripes you see are the versions of windows being ran, Home is restrictive - PRO and it associated versions are far better for this.

Man of Honour
As for updates well its the age we live in, software is so poorly coded these days and the number of folk attacking that software is so great you have to update and have regular security updates as well - just a fact of life in 2019 i am afraid.
I also suspsect some of the update timing gripes you see are the versions of windows being ran, Home is restrictive - PRO and it associated versions are far better for this.

It isn't about updates themselves (though the quality leaves a lot to be desired in 10 but to a degree that has always been the case) but the ease of managing them - especially it is hard these days to streamline security updates and delay feature updates effectively - again something they've slightly addressed very recently but still lacking in implementation. This causes a significant issue for me as I use reasonably low power, but still reasonable spec (Atom Z8750, 8GB RAM, SSD class storage performance with 256GB or more storage), tablets quite a bit but intermittently enough on any one device that I'm often disrupted by update behaviour when I start them up if I leave Windows update as is but risk being insecure if I use 3rd parties and go whole hog on disabling updates which isn't ideal on portable devices which can be used in a variety of situations and public networks, etc.

Pro version isn't much better these days as they've locked down some group policy features to stop people easily taking control of updates and stuff like LTSB isn't readily available let alone priced for this kind of usage. I'd be much happier with 10 if Pro actually behaved like the whole idea of a professional edition and assumed the end user had some idea of what they were doing rather than still tending to think it knows better than the user.

although you can still get f8 and other things back

For instance to put "back" some form of F8 mode you need to be able to boot into the OS in the first place to re-enable it so it isn't very useful for trying to fix a stock system that you've been asked to sort and has some undesirable side-effects such as having to navigate a boot menu every single start up, etc. same goes for the rest really you end up with a less than ideal situation one way or another.

Associate
I usually use the usb key to repair prompt way of fixing windows now.
As for choosing what updates, well you could setup a wsus/system centre install on a VM on something - you can choose what you want them.
At the end of the day the changes to update were prob done because most folk were not bothering, didnt care or just plain dont know what to update and when. So MS took it out of there hands.
Not particularly great but again thats the world we live in.

Man of Honour
I usually use the usb key to repair prompt way of fixing windows now.
As for choosing what updates, well you could setup a wsus/system centre install on a VM on something - you can choose what you want them.
At the end of the day the changes to update were prob done because most folk were not bothering, didnt care or just plain dont know what to update and when. So MS took it out of there hands.
Not particularly great but again thats the world we live in.

I don't have a problem with a curated experience as an [default] option or even if the Home version was like that - but the lack of even a simple pause button right from the start and lack of a proper and complete implementation to take control in the Professional version IMO smacks of either limited vision, passive contempt for the end user or even worse actual hateful contempt for the end user.

Soldato
None of the articles I read suggested how they can do this without a licensing agreement with MS for the source code ?
they can do some dissasembly and patching which is how the baddies often uncover the exploits, but how do you repair it, its not open source like android

V F

V F

Soldato
Yeah i agree that when it breaks - especially boot issues - it does it with style, although you can still get f8 and other things back .

No, it's about money. Good testers cost money and they don't want to pay for that.

Man of Honour
To re-enable F8, use

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

from the command line as an administrator.

Not so useful if you can't boot into the OS in the first place and it hasn't already been done. Also quite a few people have issues with that solution working and/or side-effects of doing it depending on configuration.

Soldato
well the insiders are the first level of testers and the poor Home users didn't appreciate they themselves were the foot soldiers next over the top, whilst the pro users watch on from the fallout shelter.

... but I'm not so convinced that if they applied similar coding practises used in rtos systems like for boeing 737 to windows it would have fewer problems , and the economic cost of windows issues, are orders of magnitude greater, but no one dies.

Man of Honour
Speculation has it, that with the advent of Windows Subsystem for Linux and similar advances being made available, that a future version of Windows could be based on the Linux Kernel, with Windows purely as a Window Manager/Desktop environment

Stuff like Core OS and Polaris haven't had the most successful journeys so not sure what MS's strategy is there.

Soldato
without a licensing agreement with MS for the source code ?

lol - https://blog.0patch.com/2019/09/keeping-windows-7-and-windows-server.html
Lastly, we're enhancing our reversing, patch analysis, vulnerability analysis, micropatch development and micropatch porting processes with new tools and techniques. Suffice to say that we've never had as many disassemblers, debuggers, decompilers, plugins and concurrently opened reversing projects running as we have now. But the thing I'm personally most excited about is our introduction of symbolic execution in micropatch creation, verification and porting processes. We've been aiming for eventual formal verification of our micropatches since the beginning and we're finally working on that. But not only that: symbolic execution and emulation will help us avoid errors sooner during micropatch development and allow us to perform unit testing against micropatched code even before we have a POC. Goosebumps!
that's an efficient process

Man of Honour
Looking at their pricing it'll be free for personal/educational use but for any business it'll be 25 Euros + per agent per year. No wonder they are offering.

I've just been looking through their FAQs and there's a not at all obvious caveat in that setup. The free version does not include security patches for Win7 and other versions of Windows no longer officially supported. So in practice 0patch is 25 Euros a year for everyone and the free licence is useless.

Another little snippet hidden away in the FAQs is that 0patch is worse than useless if you have not installed every security patch from MS, including any that might or might not be released in the future. If you haven't, 0patch will fail to install some or all of their patches and not tell you it has failed to do so. So you'll be given a false sense of secuity.

I'm in two minds about whether it's worth the money. It also has some telemetry sent hourly, though of course it's nothing compared with Win10 since that's bona fide spyware.

Back
Top Bottom