£1,000 Gaming Build Advice.

Associate
Afternoon all,

Looking to upgrade my ageing 2500k system, whilst it still performs well for its age I think the time is right to upgrade... its done well for the last 7 years!

I will be keeping my Asus 1080 GPU as well as my monitor, keyboard, mouse etc but will need everything else including windows 10. I have been looking through other builds quoted on here for the last month or so as well as youtube videos for the ryzen vs intel predicament. It sill seems to be a minefield!

So what would your suggestions be at this price range?

Thanks in advance.

4play

Associate
OP
Afternoon Gents I have a 1080p 144hz monitor that I would be looking to upgrade to 1440p probably around Christmas/this time next year.

I am willing to overclock but truthfully would rather its just plug and play.

4play

Soldato
Afternoon Gents I have a 1080p 144hz monitor that I would be looking to upgrade to 1440p probably around Christmas/this time next year.

I am willing to overclock but truthfully would rather its just plug and play.

4play

Let ryzen auto oc or OC yourself if you want! Amd have out done themselves this time around .
Mini will also support 2020 CPUs so you know in a few years time can slap in a second hand 4*** CPU

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,027.48 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

Soldato
I would pickup a windows key from online somewhere (can be had for about £12), might be worth dropping the NVME boot drive and getting a higher end mobo and/or better CPU cooler (though the ones that come with Ryzen 2 CPU's are pretty good)

Total: £1,024.49 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Soldato
What’s the rest of the specs of your current pc, does it have a case, psu, drives you can reuse so to save cash/use elsewhere?

I would pickup a windows key from online somewhere (can be had for about £12), might be worth dropping the NVME boot drive and getting a higher end mobo and/or better CPU cooler (though the ones that come with Ryzen 2 CPU's are pretty good)

Total: £1,024.49 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Could save some money and go 650w for the psu, even 550w at a stretch.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the input so far guys. Been doing a little bit of playing with components myself if anyone would like to critique!

Intel option:
Total: £896.94 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Ryzen Option

Total: £802.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)

As some have pointed out I can get the windows license key elsewhere hence its removal from here. I am also toying with the idea of keeping my existing case although I have a budget of another £100 I could spend there.

Also worth noting a friend has been king enough to give me a brand spanking new 500gb SSD which is why a conventional SSD is not here. I have no experience with these M2 drives are they worth the money?

Thanks again,

4play​

Soldato
Thanks for all the input so far guys. Been doing a little bit of playing with components myself if anyone would like to critique!

Intel option:
Total: £896.94 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Ryzen Option

Total: £802.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)

As some have pointed out I can get the windows license key elsewhere hence its removal from here. I am also toying with the idea of keeping my existing case although I have a budget of another £100 I could spend there.

Also worth noting a friend has been king enough to give me a brand spanking new 500gb SSD which is why a conventional SSD is not here. I have no experience with these M2 drives are they worth the money?

Thanks again,

4play​

Hi

You don't need to go crazy on Ram speed for Intel. A 3000MHz kit will do more than fine. The one below saves a few quid.

Total: £167.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

For the power supply, the Seasonic Focus Gold 550W is enough for that setup. If you do want 650W then the Antec Earthwatts Gold 650W is the same price as the Seasonic. It is pretty much a semi modular version of the Focus Gold (Made by seasonic). You also have an Antec rep on the forum (Ace Modder).

An NVMe SSD won't really make much difference for day to day usage. If you do want to try one though I would go with the newer Samsung 970 EVO.

That Akasa cooler isn't that great although if you don't plan to overclock it should be ok. I would rather have a Cryorig H5 Universal at that price range.

Total: £48.65 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

For the Ryzen spec same thing for the SSD and PSU. Also you would be better waiting for an X470 board as it will work out of the box. You might need a bios update for the X370 depending on how long it has been sat in the warehouse.

The Asus Prime X470 is in stock although it is slightly more expensive and you don't get the free steam vouchers. If you want to stick with the Gigabyte X370 then I would ask OCUK if it is up to date with the bios.

Soldato
If going Asus, avoid the TUF. Lot of TUF fans have been disappointed with the way the branding has gone, pretty now just a budget edition and not like z87/97/170 models use to be . Going to go Asus then grab the Strix . And get a better cooler , bequiet Dark Rock 4 as minimum of your going to overclock slightly

For OS drive they aren't to back as the backbone of your system but still overkill and wasted on gaming .

Could just grab a standard 256SSD for £50 and put the £50 into better z370 board or cooler for the 8700k .

Like wise with the Ryzen - better cooler

And grab seasonic focus 550w unit or Antec 650w version

Associate
My recommended Intel build:

Total: £800.95 (includes shipping: £0.00)

AMD build:

Total: £805.01 (includes shipping: £11.10)

In regards to the SSD - conventional SATA is more than fine; there aren't many situations where the benefits of NVMe shine through (certainly not for a boot/games/app drive).

Main points of the build:

• A quality 650w PSU is more than plenty for that setup - the Antec unit linked is internally identical to the Seasonic Focus Gold, and also has a 10 year warranty.

• The CPU cooler is the best dual-tower air cooler you can buy, especially for this reduced price. It regularly competes with or beats 240mm/280mm AIO units.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Update for those interested, with everyone's help I believe I have settled on the build below. It is a very tough decision between Intel and AMD right now, my gut is telling me to go with Intel but I'm thinking down the line maybe Ryzen will age better...... Any final thoughts?

Total: £996.38 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Man of Honour
faster, lower profile ram to fit under that heatsink:
Total: £188.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

unless you are going to run dual gpu, 850w is a waste of money.
hell, i ran a 7990 on a full custom loop with a 650w psu.

define s is old now. either get the define c or define r6

Back
Top Bottom