1:1 Pixel Mapping.

Soldato
Hi, i currently have a Dell2005fpw and IMO everything that isnt native resolution doesnt look no where near as native resolution.
As far as i'm aware this monitor doesnt have 1:1 pixel mapping, if I brought a monitor with 1:1 pixel mapping would lower resolution still look as good as native, granted less pixels obviously, work similar to a CRT Monitor?
Is 1:1 pixel mapping full screen also?
Otherwise its preety pointless to me as I want to play my games full screen looking good and sometimes not at native res as my pc cant handle it but still look like it would on a crt.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I think you may be a little confused with the terminology here. 1:1 pixel mapping is an option through either hardware or software for the screen to display its source only using the correct number of pixels and aspect ratio, rather than stretching the image to always fill the screen. As an example, if your PC output a 1024 x 768 res for a game, and you used 1:1 pixel mapping on a screen of this size (1680 x 1050 res) then it would be displayed in the middle of the screen with black borders around all sides. In other words it would only use 1024 pixel horizontally and 768 vertically and would not stretch the image.

This option is available on some monitors as an option in OSD (the Dell 2005FPW should have this there too afaik?!) and if not you can often run it from software like NVIDIA's graphics card driver software. It normally comes hand in hand also with an option to keep the same aspect ratio, but fill as much of the screen as possible....so a 4:3 aspect would stay that way, but not necessarily stick to just the right number of pixels. By default, models without these options would fill the screen regardless of the source res and aspect ratio.

I think what you're also asking about is image interpolation where a lower than native res (in this case anything below 1680 x 1050) is stretched to fill the screen. Interpolation really varies from one screen to another, but in gaming is not really a massive problem. Some sharpness is commonly lost, but normally nothing major. If you wanted to keep the sharpness then yes, you could use the 1:1 mapping option to play with borders

Soldato
OP
Ahh right I was a bit confused, yeah the Dell does 1:1 pixel mapping, damn I thought there was a new technology out or something that makes low res's look nice on a high res screen.

Back
Top Bottom