1 and only play through of fallout vegas - to hardcore or not to hardcore?

Associate
Hi folks

I am about to have the first play through of fallout Vegas, but I'm the sort of person who will most likely only do it the once

do you recommend hardcore mode?

it sounds fun, but on the other hand i'm a bit worried it may make the game more of a grind and less fun than without it. But then again if I play without hardcore will i be missing an awesome experience?

what would you guys, who have completed it recommend?

also another thing, I like to hoard weapons and I know it goes against the spirit of it but if I use just the weight cheat to carry more items, will this stop me getting the steam achievements?

thanks for any replies/opinions :)

Permabanned
by the sounds of it you would not enjoy with hoarding wepons ect but if you use hardcore mode and more monsters mod it makes the game very challenging and much more immersive i recommend it and play it the way its ment to be played ;)

Soldato
There are so many options to play through in the 'main quest' and so many locations to discover that I'd say you'll want to replay it!

I play hardcore and can't see a reason not to. It doesn't make it much harder, but it does make it more realistic. On non-hardcore mode you basically have unlimited health as long as you have Stimpaks to pop quicker than you take damage (very easy if Stimpaks are bound to a key). Plus, I like the way when you drink in HC, it does what a drink is supposed to do. Same with eating, of course. For me, HC is far more immersive.

Also, if you like hoarding weapons get one of the awesome player home mods. Some have weapon display walls :)

No idea about the Steam achievements, sorry.

Associate
Been playing through the console verson on hardcore, if anything it adds to the game, and you always have the opportunity of changing difficulty level without needing to switch hardcore off.

As for hoarding weapons you can do the same as in Fallout 3 and just stash anything you're not currently using in your accomodation, as well as some handy mail boxes in NV that you'll find, and other locations to temporarily stash stuff :)

Associate
I've just started my second play through on hardcore (although my first was hardcore too) and im not normally one to replay games. However, with a game like fallout there are so many story variations it can still be fun! Hardcore isnt too much different, just have to keep an eye on health as you can instantly heal mid fight. Oh and stock up on food/water!

Associate
Just putting it out there that if you find hardcore to not be hardcore enough, there are mods that make hunger/thirst/exhaustion levels increase quicker, so you have to sleep once a day, eat and drink a couple of meals a day etc.

It's what I use, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom