1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 day insurance - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Greboth, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Greboth

Mobster

Afternoon all,

I've had my second car off the road for the last 18 months but it is now finally rebuilt. I'll be looking at switching the insurance over eventually but for getting an MOT I'm thinking of just getting day insurance. Having never done this before I'm looking for people with experience of it, is it a good or bad idea? recommendations for who to use? or is it like normal insurance and just go with the cheapest quote from a recognised company?

2. Kiethton

Gangster

I'd look at the Cuvva app - backed by Admiral IIRC and you can do insurance by the hour at a cost far less than a day rate

3. Greboth

Mobster

Thanks for the reply Kiethton, just for an MOT by the hour could be even better.

4. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

I've used tempcover.com to get day insurance before (they found a policy from Haven Insurance). It was cheaper than RAC cover but had a higher excess.

Wish I'd known about Cuvva though, that looks interesting.

5. HouR

Gangster

I had to do this to sell a car the other week and just rang my insurance company for my daily drive. They charged £20 for a day which was cheaper than the normal comparison sites and quite easy so may be worth a punt.
    Tbh at that price I didn't look to hard elsewhere so maybe you can get it cheaper.

6. t-rex

Gangster

Some insurers allow you to put a temporary second car on your policy. Last year I was with Tesco insurance, and it cost me £30 for a whole month. Might be worth giving your insurance company a call.

Edit: actually it was only £11.83 for a month.

7. alexakasloth

Soldato

Some include it too, Admiral do ("subject to eligibility") with their comp cover.

8. Voxination

Chooser of poor weather meets

I use Cuvva semi-regularly for having a play in friends cars, the cost isn't too cheap for an entire day but the fact you can buy by the hour makes it much better as you're not paying for cover you don't need.

9. Hyburnate

Capodecina

Just make sure there isn't a requirement for the car to be insured under a comprehensive policy at the time either.

I've seen that clause on some of them that the car needs to be insured on a fully comprehensive policy and then topped up with this policy you're taking out.

10. Vanquish-Storm

Mobster

We have RAC in place for a car hand over tomorrow. It was £20 cheaper than Admiral and Temp Cover.

My mate used Admiral the other week for borrowing a car, do Admiral not state a valid insurance has to be in place to be covered?

11. dacads

Capodecina

I used dayinsure.com recently when I went to view and subsequently buy a car.

12. Lashout_UK

Capodecina

Dayinsure for me, too.