1 Litre Bike advise

Associate
I'm looking at getting a new bike but would like some advise from you litre bike riders hiding on the forums I've these bikes in mind;

GSXR 1000 K3/K4 (leaning toward one of these)
Honda Fireblade 900/1000RR (looking at 03/04)
R1

I use my bike on an every day basis in all conditions weather and traffic wise what are these bikes like in the winter? Also how reliable are they likely to be mechanically considering they are going to be used everyday summer and winter? In terms of handling at low speeds in traffic how will they fair? Obviously they are beasts on the open road.

Any advise or suggestions will be greatly received.

Cheers ;)

Soldato
Also just out of interest why do people choose 1 litre bikes over say a 600cc?

Is the performance difference that great to matter on roads 'limited' to 70mph?

Just curious as 600's seem a good compromise when I was ready about becoming a bike rider the other day.

Associate
Stonedofmoo said:

Just curious as 600's seem a good compromise when I was ready about becoming a bike rider the other day.

I agree with the above.

My Dad has just got a R1 and he didn't like it. Was to heavy and he never could really get a chance to rant it. So he sold it and got a R6. Better acceleration, lighter and a more repsonsive drive. Cheaper to run to.

Associate
Stonedofmoo said:

I used to run a VTR1000 Firestorm. Compared the CBR600 i had before, it was just soo much easier to ride. Being a dirty great 996cc V-Twin helped, no having to rev the nuts of it to get any where, just use the V-twin grunt.
Saying that, my NC30 is pretty easy to get on with, pretty grunty low down for a 400, but you can make it sing when you want to shift.
If i get another bike in a few years, it'll be a litre v-twin again.

Soldato
BloomerzUK said:
I agree with the above.

My Dad has just got a R1 and he didn't like it. Was to heavy and he never could really get a chance to rant it. So he sold it and got a R6. Better acceleration, lighter and a more repsonsive drive. Cheaper to run to.

I'd take a 1000 over a 600 anyday, it's not about outright BHP, I've never had a problem keeping up with mates on their Blades/R1's when I had my 600, the real difference is in how 'easy' they are to ride, the low down torque opens up a whole new dimension in riding experience. Although I could keep up on the 600, it was sometimes a lot of hardwork, and when really pressing on, I often made little mistakes here and there and the closer to the limit you get the more hectic it becomes. On the 'thou I can concentrate far more on lines and technique, relying on the low down torque to allow a much smoother power delivery and consequently I can ride fast but more fluidly and enjoy myself..

Also when commuting, the low down flexibility is a godsend, 5th or 6th gear is all you need for overtaking in short spaces..

Since I've had the 'thou I feel as though my riding ability has improved a fair bit, my throttle response is much smoother, I can now feel when the back end is starting to spin up/slide, and wheelies are now on another level!..

Of the bunch, the GSXR1000K3/4 would be my choice, We swap bikes regularly and the GSXR has more low down pull, better delivery and still feels like a GSXR, the CBR1000R is the usual CBR, brilliant but a bit remote/bland..

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldnt ride anything less than a litre bike again.

Even the most cardigan wearing commuter fodder in the litre plus catergory is better to ride than the average sports six hundred.
They are just too much hard work.

spp

spp

Associate
What have you been riding before this? I have a fireblade CBR954 and it's a cracking bike. Handles beautifully with great brakes and plenty of midrange. I cover about 400 miles a week. Part motorway, part country lanes. I went for the 954 as it was more comfortable for me and felt a better road bike than some of the other liter sports bikes. Being a Honda I'm positive it will stand up to British weather fairly well like my VFR800 did.

I have ridden many bikes from 125's through to liter sports bikes and I can see why someone would go for 1000cc over 600cc. Its all about the midrange. Esp when riding on the motorway, it's far easier to have instant access to the power in any gear, something you don't always have with a 600. In fact even my VFR800 needed to be rev'd to get going anywhere fast. As Demon said, it's just easier to ride.

Associate
OP
I'm currently riding a CBR600 which has been great, reliable and fast but like most people have said its lacking some real grunt in the midrange. I really like the look of the GSXR apart from the huge endcan, but not sure if this is going to be a good bike for reliability? Having had a Honda I like the ride but want to try something new I wont rule out an RR. I'm going to take a trip to the local dealers and give them a good test ride this weekend.

Soldato
Out of the 3 your looking at I would pick the R1 (nothign to do with the fact I have one :p )

Fireblade - That age of blade were a little behind the pack, a little to heavy, not as much power and just a bit bland to ride, great honda build quality though. I just find modern blades far to civalised for what was once the original nutters bike.

GSXR 1000 - Huge bags of grunt, midrange will destroy the R1 or the blade, I could just never get along with the riding position though, Its weird, it just doesnt feel right to me, each to their own, I also dont thinks its a very stunning bike to look at, park it up next to an R1 and it just looks second best. amazing engine though.

R1 - Stunning to look at, stunning to ride. it just does everything pretty much floorlessly. the engine hasnt got the midrange that the early R1s had, but the top end is bloody mental. build quality is also great.

As for the benifits of a 1000cc bike, for me it comes down to 2 things, grunt and a physically bigger bike, im 6f 3" and look daft on a modern 600, there tiny these days. The extra grunt you get over the 600cc machines is just so addictive, they just pull from tickover, power wheelies in the first 2 gears, 3rd with the clutch :D

Dont worry about reliabilty, all modern jap bikes have great reliability, I used to use mine all year round, eventually I turned into a fair weather rider, I got sick of getting wet and falling off on the ice. I would seriously consider buying a winter hack, that way if you do come off in winter you wont be gutted.

Soldato
BloomerzUK said:
I agree with the above.

An R6 is a good bike, but in no way does it accelerate fater than an R1, and the weight differential really isnt much either.

I changed from a 600 to a 900 earlier this year and wouldn't ever go back. As said above, its not the outright BHP but the torque spread. On a 600 you have to be in the right gear at the right time, all the time - thats fine if you're out for a sunday blast, but gets tiresome pretty quickly. The ZX9 on the other hand has bags and bags of acceleration at all revs in all gears. Its happy to do a swift overtake from a 3k 5th gear rollon. I also find the 900 easier to ride in many ways - seems more stable, maybe with wider back tyre, and less 'skittish' than a 600.

As for which one to go for - in all honesty they are so close now just get which one you like the look of and/or is more comfy. They are both superb bikes. Both ultra relaible, and build quality is even pretty similar these days. The bike magazines make them out to be hugely different in these sorts of tests, but they're just trying to sell magazines. An average rider on an average ride will find either bike more than good enough.

I ride mine all year round without problem. Just get a good protectant like ACF50, coat all the metal bits and give it a wash every couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom