10/100 switch to gigabit switch not working.

You can say that again, I have called out the installer who fit this and over the phone he said it does not matter if the cat 7 cables are going into a cat 6 panel as it will not effect your speeds is he right in that and he is also going to check the wiring too.

Cat7A+ isn't even a thing, and even actual Cat7 or Cat7A aren't of any use in a home installation (given the need for GG45 or Tera connectors to meet the "spec")

You're sort of drip feeding us information here. If you paid someone to install data points in a house and they don't work then call them back to fix it until it works, or refund you. There's no need to be buying cable testers or anything like that.

Don't make this overly complicated - you paid for something that hasn't been delivered, it's not up to you to figure out why it doesn't work.

You're sort of drip feeding us information here. If you paid someone to install data points in a house and they don't work then call them back to fix it until it works, or refund you. There's no need to be buying cable testers or anything like that.

Don't make this overly complicated - you paid for something that hasn't been delivered, it's not up to you to figure out why it doesn't work.

The way I read it, he's just moved in a pre-loved home and the previous owner already had this kit and cable installed. He's just trying to adopt it himself whilst upgrading to gigabit.

@Tazbo correct me if I'm wrong?

When you look at the picture of the internal cabling (yellow cat7?) going in to the patch panel cant see any banding colours on any of the white wires, interested to see what an installer makes of this.

Yeah, that's a good point. It could be a case of a couple of the banded cores being reversed.

Hi,

I have just moved into a house which has a Virgin Media Hub, the hub has a Ethernet cable going into a Ethernet port in the wall. The house is wired with Ethernet ports in each room which all run down into what looks like a patch unit. From there the cables go into a tp link 10/100mbs unmanaged switch. If I connect an Ethernet cable to any port in the house I was getting 98mbs down which is pretty much what we were paying for. Now I upgraded my internet to 350mbps down so I thought it was just a matter of replacing the switch with a unmanaged gigabit switch so I purchased a netgear and two tp link switches and none of them work. I connect them up the exact what the current white tp switch is setup with the same cables and new cat 6 cables but no luck. The ports in all the rooms just go dead. Am I missing something? Please find links below.

I would get a cable tester and go from there, it looks like a really shoddy job those pairs on the yellow cable are supposed to be twisted all the way down to the punchdown as well, and anyone that makes a patch lead without the outer crimped in is a rank amature, I doubt that cabling would even pass cat5e spec

I would get a cable tester and go from there, it looks like a really shoddy job those pairs on the yellow cable are supposed to be twisted all the way down to the punchdown as well, and anyone that makes a patch lead without the outer crimped in is a rank amature, I doubt that cabling would even pass cat5e spec

There's talk of an installer:

You can say that again, I have called out the installer who fit this and over the phone he said it does not matter if the cat 7 cables are going into a cat 6 panel as it will not effect your speeds is he right in that and he is also going to check the wiring too.

I'd get the installer back before getting my own tester. Though any installer that looks at that job and thought "Yes, I've done that well!" is evidently not one that gives a crap.

Many of these so called installers are electricians that don't have any real training in network 'cabling'

Hence my comment:

They look to be in the correct order but it's hard to see if they're punched down enough. The fact that the cables aren't trimmed evenly tells me that a proper punch down tool wasn't used, I guess it was a screwdrive to jam the wires down and then some side cutters to trim the excess. so I wouldn't be surprised if there's an issue there. It's a pretty poor job done there.

Just checking but are you maybe creating a loop somewhere?
This.

Draw a diagram of how everything is connected and how many cables are connected.

Also, use real patch leads between the patch panel and switch. Using custom made leads between them is asking for trouble, especially when they are badly done like the ones here..

EDIT: I just noticed the date, did this get resolved?

I don't know what installer installed them but I just sweared out loud at the screen. That is some of the worst cabling I've seen. It needs ripping out and repunching IMO. Those black cables need to be re-crimped as well they hanging out of the ethernet plastic ends with no boots either.

I dare say that's an electrician that's done that.

Also what is this TP LINK white box? if that's a 10/100 switch it needs replacing for a 10/100/1000.

I've also just noticed something. Zooming in found this.

VKiNDe2.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom