£10 paypal to the person that helps me get my internet working in VISTA!

Soldato
I can't for the life of me get web pages to load in vista. Same router and settings work fine in XP, but vista simply shows 'web page found, waiting for reply'...but never loads the page. I've tried manually entering IP details etc to no avail. I tried using 4.2.2.2 as a secondary dns address on the router...no joy.

It is connected, because it pings fine, but msn / webpages / torrents are a no go.

Any ideas? It's vista ultimate 32bit. I have ukonline 8meg and a netgear 834gt router. The strangest thing is that i have managed to get the internet working fine in vista on the same PC / router, but just at a different flat. (i've reinstalled vista since then)

Thanks!

Permabanned
i had the same prob when i installed vista on my old vaio......yet an easy solution for me was to reset the router real quickly ( not to its factory settings) but just press the little button then ran the vista software update and it found an internet update...5 mins later mine worked :p ......not sure if that will help but it worked for me when i had the same prob a few months back :)

Soldato
OP
interesting - but surely if i push the reset button on the back it will restore the factory settings? Or does it depend on how long it's pushed for.

I'm assuming you're talking about the tiny button you push with a pin, and not simply turning off and on the router? :)

Caporegime
so just to clarify

you can ping all of the internet address' so the connection is fine

just your webpages never load ?

ps. you can rule DNS out as a problem, if you try browsing to the IP instead of the hostname. eg http:\\66.102.9.104 will take you to google without using a DNS server.

Last edited:
Permabanned
snow patrol said:
interesting - but surely if i push the reset button on the back it will restore the factory settings? Or does it depend on how long it's pushed for.

I'm assuming you're talking about the tiny button you push with a pin, and not simply turning off and on the router? :)

yeah just hold it for around 5 secs and it just resets it...where as if you hold it for like 25-30 secs it resets to factory settings :) its worth a try i guess

Caporegime
let us know how you get on

i work for an IT company doing support for our clients, and we're a bit quiet atm. would be nice to do some real support work for a change lol.

Soldato
OP
no luck with either of those (resetting or trying the google ip addy).

In the bottom right corner, when the router is turned off it's shown as being connected to local only - but when the router is on it's shown as local and internet so it's definitely detecting that there is an internet connection there...so i'm assuming i can rule out things like cables / drivers?

Permabanned
Go into the command prompt.

type

ipconfig

this will give you the router address (default gateway). ping it by typing

ping x.x.x.x and press enter

if you get a reply try "ping 212.58.224.131" that is the BBC website.

If you get a reply try a domain name

ping itv.com

if this works then it is somethign weird in IE7, Get firefox :p. or could be firewall / AV software etc, you could telnet to a server to check port 80.

"telnet bbc.co.uk 80" in the cmd prompt should bring up a blank page

if you can't ping the itv then you need to check your dns servers on the computer. ignore the router as computers settings override the router.

go into sharing centre, network connections, right clikc on LAN icon, go into properties go into TCP/IP4 properties and enter the DNS servers, levea the IP addresses as they are.

ipconfig/ flushdns can also help

If still struggling then who knows, maybe MTU on the router.

Soldato
when setting the manul ip in vista what are you setting the DNS server ? same as the routers gateway ip or the ones from your ISP?

Soldato
OP
Mark47 said:
If still struggling then who knows, maybe MTU on the router.

please let me know your paypal address! I lowered the MTU from 1500 to 1400 in the router et voila! All is well.

(is it ok to have it at 1400, or should i try and put it as high as possible?)

Thanks - i've been trying on and off for about 3 months to get this sorted. Can't believe it was something so simple after all the many many things i tried. :D

Soldato
MTU = Maximim Transmission Unit Size

I have to have my MTU set to 1400 for my dsl to work as the crappy isp i have (TalkTalk) will only accept connections with an mtu of 1400 apparently AOL have done this for a long time.

Permabanned
1458 is the normal MTU for ADSL.

Don't worry about the money. I am off work today due to crashing my car. (no 1 hurt)

I work at Zen Internet on 1st line support so this is easy. :p

Back
Top Bottom