10 weeks to get my stolen money back?!

Jonny69 said:
Now imagine if you needed that money desperately. Banks are scum and the people who run them have no compassion.

I reckon they make their families comply with set procedures at home.

Like demand sex from their partners twice a day?

God damn, what a bunch of bankers (stretch mouth whilst saying it) :D

Jonny69 said:
I like the word scum, it really gets people's backs up on this forum :D

Only when you can't back it up your comments and end up looking really silly :)

Who has been wound up? :confused:

I have around 100 quid taken out of my HSBC account about a year ago.

Contacted HSBC on Monday, received a form on Tuesday asking me to sign to confirm I didn't make those transctions myself.

Send it off on Tuesday afternoon and the money is back into my account on Friday.

Not sure if it'd be the same for £1100 though.

myself, my partner and our business have all had issues with HSBC in the past. Thier customer care is shocking and far from acceptable in this day and age, needless to say we moved all monies related to HSBC.

nicholas_yiu said:
I have around 100 quid taken out of my HSBC account about a year ago.

Contacted HSBC on Monday, received a form on Tuesday asking me to sign to confirm I didn't make those transctions myself.

Send it off on Tuesday afternoon and the money is back into my account on Friday.

Not sure if it'd be the same for £1100 though.

There would be more of an investigation for a higher amount than £100. Also, it depends who noticed it - if it was the bank, then the refund should be pretty much as soon as the customer has been contacted. There will be issues such as whether the places the card has been used are ones used commonly/recently for fraud, as obviously that makes it easier to identify. I know a bit about how banks identify fraud, but it's not something I'd discuss ;).

The g/f maestro debit card was 'skimmed' a couple of weeks ago at an ATM near us, she got a letter from the bank (Yorkshire Bank) and called then on the 10th Feb, the scum had cleared the account of £900 (£270+£330+£300 from a cash machine in Leeds city centre over 2 days) and only stopped as it was completely empty. Card was stopped on the 10th, she had to go into the bank on the monday 12th to fill in some forms, money re-appeared in account yesterday morning (20th). So roughly 7 working days once the card had been stopped and forms filled in.

Last edited:
Mr Mag00 said:
myself, my partner and our business have all had issues with HSBC in the past. Thier customer care is shocking and far from acceptable in this day and age, needless to say we moved all monies related to HSBC.

A very different experience to my own. Around last November I had several hundred pounds taken from my HSBC account by someone other than me. I happened to check my account that night, rang HSBC the following day after worrying a lot. I spoke to a very helpful Indian lady at a call centre somewhere who took my details, asked if I wanted to persue a fraud claim. I agreed of course, I received a letter in 2 days to sign off any fraudulent transactions.

Meanwhile the money was returned to my account the day I lodged the claim. Perhaps they were simply able to cancel the card transaction at that short notice, whereas with those happening a few days later the transaction had already been completed, therefore they themselves need to file a claim with another bank or shop, out of their control?

Maybe I was just lucky, but it seemed a very tidy proceedure from where I was worrying.

/edit: Oh, and this was on my debit card....

Last edited:
I think if the bank flags your card for suspicious transactions and gives you a call you'd be likely to get your money back sooner than reporting it yourself. Not sure if that applies to the OP, but I suspect he spotted it before the bank.

Ricky1981, you did tell your bank when and for how long you'd be abroad?

Back
Top Bottom