100% disk usage

Soldato
OP
I had this problem recently with the GF's W10 laptop. I couldn't figure it out.

Task manager would report 100% disk usage, but none of the processes would be anywhere near 100%. I tried disabling services, windows search, "shop me tips about windows 10" notifications. Loads of things. No luck.

I eventually did a fresh install.

That's the next step.

I've turned off what I can etc and it spikes to 100% for a couple of mins on load up or if you login from locked screen but then settles down.

I've told her to use it as normal, if it carries on, then it's fresh install time. Problem is it's one of the laptops the old IT guy updated to win 10. They've no records of serials etc... :'(

Soldato
I've told her to use it as normal, if it carries on, then it's fresh install time. Problem is it's one of the laptops the old IT guy updated to win 10. They've no records of serials etc... :'(

For Windows 10 if it's standard or Pro then it should be tied to the laptop and shouldn't need reactivating (it ought to just do itself).

If it's Enterprise or Education then it will need an external server to activate.

Soldato
That's the next step.

I've turned off what I can etc and it spikes to 100% for a couple of mins on load up or if you login from locked screen but then settles down.

Well the fresh install I did didn't work for long. I didn't have the 100% disk issue, It worked fine for a few days but then I started getting a "Recovering your windows" message, or words to that effect. Unable to boot fully into Windows now.

I tried another fresh install, It lasted one boot, and then get the recovering windows message again.

What's going on?! HDD issue?

Soldato
Well the laptop is less than a year old so clearly not lasting a reasonable length of time. I'm going to try and get an exchange or credit note at the place it was bought from first before I go messing around too much.

But if that fails then a new HDD or cable may be a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom