£1000 got me...

Soldato
95N VW Golf gti 16v. 3dr mauve/purple/blue colour that they do. 145k miles, all MOTs and VW history up to 120k, independants thereafter.

by chance i was looking in the autotrader before work, i do not look in there regularly at all. saw it at a low price, emailed for more details and took the number to work. called that morning, turns out he runs a vw beattle and camper renovation business, he is really into his vee-dubs. i make an appointment to meet after work

find him, find the car, spend two hours poking about, find a few flaws, negotiate a deal. a grand.

interior is in good condition, only mild sagging of driver's seat. otherwise very clean. body is the same. it has been keyed on 2 panels but only damaged the lacquer, hence im sure itll buff out :D

due for a cam belt, but ill arrange that after i clean it up this weekend. gonna pay and collect on saturday (funniliy enough i dont take a grand to work with me).

at the end of the day, that has to be cheap sensible fun motoring at its best. even insurance is cheap :D

pics will follow. the only way i can describe the drive it very precise and un-vague. nice and directly weighted controls, cant wait to get my hands on it on saturday lol

Soldato
OP
iirc theyre just under 1200kg, maybe 1140, something like that. the steering was refreshingly weighty. a touch of 'old school' without (so many of) the hassles :D

Soldato
OP
7krpm on those, i think max power is made at 6400 (in that region)

i took it out for a run, it is a free revving engine with a sharp response at the top end.

he had a stack of receipts. ill check if it needs new oil and a fuel filter. i also wanna do the gearbox oil and run some millers through it to clean the injectors, really make it healthy.

Soldato
nice one mate... a 16v gti in that condition with that kit for a grand :D

146k... bah thats noubt for a VW ;)

once all tarted up, post some piccies!

tidy motor, enjoy!

Soldato
OP
lol i like the way you think :D

mods-wise? i have a sub sat around that ive not used since my car hifi days, thatll be going in.

it already has x-drilled brakes yknow lol and the dampers are gmax (he kept the rideheight standard to keep it looking normal)

i need to get rid of the parcel shelf (has a pair of 6*9s) that will only attract the wrong attention and sound poo.

with the engine i may look for cams or a flowed head conversion. wouldnt mind a bit more go, may get it chipped.

depends on what comes up cheap... wouldnt make sense dumping a load of money into a cheap cheap car :D

Associate
No point chucking a load of money at a mk3 valver. Exhaust and Filter and a remap will take you up to and over 170bhp, but if I were you I wouldn't bother. Most standard ones put out at least 155bhp, with even some getting past 160bhp.

Good solid cars, with good solid reliable engines. When you bin it, keep the engine and whack it straight in a Mk2. :D

Sign yourself up to Club GTI aswell. :)

Soldato
i seem to remember the 16v in the mk3 was restricted a little so that it didnt embarass the VR too much. so responds well to the right mods, and can get 170bhp easily IIRC. :)

Back
Top Bottom