• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1070 strix problems

Associate
Hi there i have been the happy owner of an asus strix 1070 oc for around 2 years.

Just recently my fans have been going crazy even tho temps are good, so i decided to investigate while i gave my pc a clean.

as i went to clean my pc i noticed an oily residue from what appears to be one of the fans on my motherboard and gpu.

ES3J22t.jpg

CKGLYnI.jpg

Admittedly my card was quite dusty and definitely needed a clean up, so i contacted ocuk who advised me that the "oily" substance was "no immediate signal of a problem", i did not agree with them however as to me it is a pretty clear signal of a problem, especially with a 2 year old graphics card.

I had heard of Msi graphics card fans leaking oil previously, but that was during the start of production and the faults were seen pretty much right away with too much oil being put in the fans or something.

Anyway i asked if it would void my warranty if i removed the cooler to check things out and give it a clean to which they replied "As long as you dont pierce through any warranty void if removed stickers, and you cant tell the card has been taken apart you are usually fine."

as most of us all know there is almost always a sticker on the back of your graphics card that will need moved or pierced before you can even take the cooler off, so i got worried about warranty etc and did some checking.

As of may 8th 2018 the only thing that can void your warranty is if some damage has occurred to the card if you decide to fix it yourself or have a third party fix it.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/Article/925/

Ok so after clearing that up i decided it was time to take it apart and clean it, inside it was even worse

r0DOzhj.jpg

not sure how easy it is to see from the above image, but there are small pools of clear oily stuff on the thermal pads inside the gpu.

A42lYEq.jpg

On the motherboard.......................

And the thermal paste was pretty dried out too

6Xbn78E.jpg

after cleaning the lot out i did see a slight improvement in temps overall but my cards are still not right as demonstrated in this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qaz8-QRdTlw

What the hell can i do? should i be able to rma the card?

Overclockers UK stated that "since our tech department won't replace a card that they don't deem to be faulty, it's in your interests to try everything possible first before you have to return the card and wait for the outcome."

i think at this point i've done all i can do :(

Is there an Asus rep on these forums?

Last edited:
Soldato
Thermal pads do leak oil over time, I've noticed the last few (more recent) graphics cards I've taken apart have had quite a lot of oil on the board.

I've even heard that once they stop producing oil, thermal pads are spent and should be replaced, but can't confirm how true that is. Your pads are quite compressed now so the fit might not be perfect onto the components, so maybe worth trying new ones.

I'm a little interested that the oily marks on your motherboard are near the back side of the GPU. Is your motherboard laying flat so oil can drip out from GPU onto it?

Soldato
Oh I see, that's the bit of the motherboard below the graphics card right?

With thermal pads there are a few brands that are reasonable, I'm sure they perform reasonably alike excluding the premium ones. Key thing is to get the correct thickness for them, it's very important. I'd search online or shoot Asus an email to ask which ones your need. They can be cut to size with scissors :)

Back
Top Bottom