• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1070 Temps Too High?

Man of Honour
Hey guys,

Since moving from a 1080p monitor to 1440p, my card will sometimes hit some pretty high peak temps, as high as 82. It mostly hovers around the 76-78 range but I'll often get the odd alert from CAM letting me know it's hit 82.

It's an OC card from factory, it's the Inno3D X3 model. I've not overclocked it more than the factory clocks and as I say, it's only since moving to the new monitor and it's being pushed more with the higher res that I've started seeing these alerts. I'm just worried about damaging the card as Google suggests you don't want your card to ever really hit 80 let alone go higher.

Thanks

Man of Honour
OP
Using a Corsair 400C, see the pic below (although there is now an exhaust fan on the top as well):

TLKXAZ9.jpg

Monitor is the 31.5" AOC 2560x1440 and runs at 75Hz. I use V-Sync in most games as well to prevent it going above 75FPS

I was using the default fan curve but recently upped each temp interval by quite a bit so the fan is spinning quite a bit more than it previously was

Soldato
You'd be best putting the AIO rad on the top with the fans pulling air out. Stick a couple of fans at the front pulling air in, and I'm assuming you already have the fan on the rear pulling air out.

The hot air from the card has nowhere to go, and not only is there not enough cool air being pulled in but the AIO is adding to the heat in the case.

Man of Honour
OP
Ok perfect, thank you. I did always worry about the intake of air being too low as the radiator blocks it and heats it up. I'll try moving it and see if that helps

Soldato
Ok perfect, thank you. I did always worry about the intake of air being too low as the radiator blocks it and heats it up. I'll try moving it and see if that helps

When you do that, next step would be to set a manual fan of 100% and run a benchmark/game. Then, dial it back until you have the perfect balance of noise/heat and see what the minimum fan % would be to achieve the best temperature (75C). I would say you are probably looking to go 1:1 after 50C:

50C/50%
55C/55%
60C/60%
65C/65%
70C/70% etc..

Associate
When you do that, next step would be to set a manual fan of 100% and run a benchmark/game. Then, dial it back until you have the perfect balance of noise/heat and see what the minimum fan % would be to achieve the best temperature (75C). I would say you are probably looking to go 1:1 after 50C:

50C/50%
55C/55%
60C/60%
65C/65%
70C/70% etc..
For a lot of cards, 70% fan is the max noise I tolerate (obviously each card/manufacturer is slightly different). So I agree, 70% and 70c is what I usually try to tweak my overclock and rest of case cooling to achieve. Then in the custom fan curve I set it to ramp up to 100% if the card goes above 75c for any reason. This is more of an emergency backup and so far it's never been triggered.

Man of Honour
OP

50C/50%
55C/55%
60C/60%
65C/65%
70C/70% etc..

Followed this without changing the fan layout and it's helped a lot. Max temp I've seen all evening is 76 but 69/70. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom