1070 vs 1060 is it worth the price difference

Associate
I have access to a salary sacrifice deal from work so unfortunately I can't go OCUK like my last two systems have been :( The cost saving is just too big to ignore

for £1200 I can get;

• Intel® Core™ i7-8700 Processor
  • RAM: 16 GB / Storage: 2 TB HDD & 256 GB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
  • Intel Z370
  • 500w PSU brand unknown
or for £800 I can get;

• Intel® Core™ i5-8400 Processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3 GB
  • unknown MOBO 500 psu
The costs are before eventual tax savings which are considerable and 0%apr over 1-2 years which is needed a don't have the cash.

I gather the 1070 is a big step up performance wise and so is 16GB vs 8GB, but £400 is also a big step. I'm leaning to the 1070 system as just more future proof but wondered what people thought. I assume I can't mention the brand of the system.

Soldato
No way you can use OCUK Finance to buy something ?

I would be put off by the fact it says '500W psu brand unknown'. You can bet your life that they are using the cheapest/nastiest unit like a CiT or similar. Also mass produced high street pc's are usually not upgradeable as a lot use weird components.

Associate
On the assumption you are wanting to play AAA games now and in the future, the 1060 3gb is already on it's last legs in a number of games. Whilst for 1080p gaming I don't think you need a 1070, given the two choices I wouldn't opt into buying a 1060 3gb in late 2018 unless I'm looking to replace the graphics card in the next 18 months.

Soldato
Honestly, it doesn't sound like the best way to get what you need. There shouldn't be APR on a salary sacrifice scheme anyway. Can you not take a credit card out?

A credit card will give you 1 year to pay back what you borrow but will let you buy used parts with PayPal. I expect you could build a reasonable 8th gen system for more like £800 with a 1070.

Otherwise, really, I think you'll just have to spend within your budget. Nothing wrong with upgrading over time :)

Associate
OP
thanks for the input. Yup wary of the component from a high street system but the core components are good and the case is pretty big with one free internal slot and a couple of free trays. Yes the PSU probably won't be brilliant but is one of the easier things to upgrade later. I'm really not a self builder and I priced up just the main components and after tax and NICS etc what i'll end up paying when it comes out in the wash is about that same as just those components, without the case PSU etc etc. It would probably be cheaper to buy the system then change the case if needed, PSU and anything else low quality straight off the bat than build with new parts. Don't fancy ebaying it.

Games wise I play virtually no FPS mainly RPG/strategy and although some decent graphics is nice ive been managing with an 7950 and 4 GB at 1080 with fallout 4, x-com 2, dark souls 3, witcher 3 etc (I probably only buy 1-2 new full price games a year) but know I won't manage with next years offerings with what I have. Don't want credit when I can avoid it so will have to go for the 1070 and upgrade here when I need to.

Back
Top Bottom